Anyone planning for Japan this year and hoping for the best?

Shock13

DIS Veteran
As of now, I'm planning on doing an extended trip and would be visiting TDR during Halloween and Christmas time. My trip would start mid-October so hoping Japan opens up before then. Even if they require proof of vaccinations, I'm fine with that. I'm just anxious to return and tour more of Tokyo as I didn't have the time my last trip.

We also have been planning on late October for a few weeks, and we have no idea. Some days it sounds like they'll never open that border again, but sure am hoping things improve enough to allow for travel in the fall. We're also concerned that even if they do open the borders, they still might restrict capacity and access at TDR. But it's still a number of months off yet.

We currently have 10 days at WDW booked for October. If Japan opens its boarders within 30 days of our check in date (DVC member, don't want points going into holding) we will try to visit Japan instead. I don't plan on booking airfare, hotel, etc. until a week or two before travel because Japan's policies pivot on a dime. We've been to Japan many times, so I mostly want to re-visit my favorite restaurants, attractions, and shop.

My wife is Japanese so her and the girls go back every summer (until last summer). I would not plan on it right now.
I'm Japanese-American and used to visit Japan almost every year. I really miss the food! I agree that I wouldn't plan on Japan opening up for tourists anytime soon. We need to travel in November 2023 for the kids' Shichi-go-san shrine visit and even that feels 50/50 at this point.

We're also concerned that even if they do open the borders, they still might restrict capacity and access at TDR.

This is definitely a concern. I don't think it would be a huge deal breaker but I would be really bummed if I went to Japan and couldn't get into Disney during my stay.
Reserving accommodations isn't a huge issue now but flying certainly is as the airline I want to take isn't offering no change fees. So it's all a very 'wait and see' situation.
I do have a back up plan of going spring 2023 so maybe I need to keep an open mind about that.

I'm planning on more or less the same trip - spanning October into November to hit both Halloween and Christmas at TDR at the beginning then end of the trip. However, it's mostly a theoretical trip right now. It's probably going to be a wait and see kind of thing and if it looks like things will open up, then I'll be ready to book.

My daughter has been warned against getting too excited about going in spring/summer 2023 by her Japanese friends. Their sense is that even another 16 months might not be enough to see the borders reopened to leisure travel!

I'm not planning anything till they have reopening plans. In my opinion, Japan will be one of the later Asian countries to reopen because they were never super reliant on tourism and are culturally rather insular. If we see other countries reopen and no new major surge after Omicron, I think the earliest Japan would be reopen to tourism is August because there is an election in July and it's not worth the risk of a potential mess-up leading up to that. Even then, when they first reopen, visitors may be required to be fully vaccinated and quarantine for 10 days.

We already gave up our plans for June. Maybe next june! with kids in school the summer is our only time for 2 weeks off. WAs going to do copenhagen instead but not sure we will head to that part of the world nnow...

I'm not planning anything till they have reopening plans. In my opinion, Japan will be one of the later Asian countries to reopen because they were never super reliant on tourism and are culturally rather insular. If we see other countries reopen and no new major surge after Omicron, I think the earliest Japan would be reopen to tourism is August because there is an election in July and it's not worth the risk of a potential mess-up leading up to that. Even then, when they first reopen, visitors may be required to be fully vaccinated and quarantine for 10 days.
Excellent point regarding the elections.

Coming back to an older post because my daughter just mentioned this over the weekend - her host mom doesn't think there will even be *talk* of reopening plans before the election. She's figuring it'll wait until after the election, transition of power, and then however long it takes to agree on a plan and timeline. She's starting to sound slightly hopeful for reopening late this year or early next if there's no new variant and no fall/winter surge like we've seen the last two years, which is a lot more optimistic than she'd been in previous conversations. Not that she knows any more than the rest of us, but as someone deeply involved in foreign exchange programs she has been following things on that end very closely since the program has already lost its third summer to this thing and will lose a 4th if there's no plan in place by the time the application process starts in Nov/Dec. Hers is the only partner organization that didn't resume for this season; the others (in other countries) all opened applications with lots of "if conditions permit" disclaimers and are moving ahead with this summer's exchanges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter