Anyone hear about the banned SNL skit

He doesn't actually speak to the SNL skit in that article though, does he?

It was a very confusing article. It was the San Francisco paper, but it referenced an AP article, and said Herb hadn't returned phone calls before press time? I can't tell if he was actually interviewed about the SNL skit or not? :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

I don't think the Sandler's, who are private citizens, would think being labeled "should be shot" was very funny, and I can see that their lawyer may assert that it goes beyond the bounds of satire or parody. Ad Age magazine has asked for an explanation from NBC, but NBC has not returned their calls.

Any idea if that's a legitimate defense of censorship, from a legal stand point? I'm sure something like this has come up before. Comedians and satirists have been pushing the boundaries of good taste and decency for a long, long time.

Any idea if that's a legitimate defense of censorship, from a legal stand point?
I'm not a lawyer, but "incitement" to harm others is not protected by the 1st Amendment. SNL is a "comedy" program, but NBC's legal department may have decided that they might be exposed legally if someone decided that the skit "had the right idea".

If I had to guess, I think the depiction of the Sandler's had something to do with it. In the skit, the on-screen text for the Sandler's read:

1abailskit014.jpg

I don't think the Sandler's, who are private citizens, would think being labeled "should be shot" was very funny, and I can see that their lawyer may assert that it goes beyond the bounds of satire or parody. Ad Age magazine has asked for an explanation from NBC, but NBC has not returned their calls.

Well that certainly makes sense. In this day and age where in some segments of society, Marilyn Manson gets blamed for Columbine, I can see why, from a business standpoint, NBC would pull it and take the easy way out.

I'm not a lawyer, but "incitement" to harm others is not protected by the 1st Amendment. SNL is a "comedy" program, but NBC's legal department may have decided that they might be exposed legally if someone decided that the skit "had the right idea".

The Smothers Brothers would know all about that!

I like the political conspiracy theories better. Much more entertaining. :lmao:

Well that certainly makes sense. In this day and age where in some segments of society, Marilyn Manson gets blamed for Columbine, I can see why, from a business standpoint, NBC would pull it and take the easy way out.

Makes sense to me too. But I sure don't get why they don't just make a statement to that affect. Or edit the video and take out the "People who should be shot" caption. The silence seems like a dumb idea.

It's been confirmed that the reason the skit was pulled was due to the "should be shot" lingo. NBC says it didn't receive any specific legal threat from the Sandler's (though they gave a media interview about the skit today to vent their anger at NBC), but instead the action was taken by their "Standards" Department which felt it was inappropriate. They've reposted a version of the skit online with the "should be shot" text edited out.

So is the conspiracy theory in the can now? LOL...

People will look for ANYTHING to spread around the internet won't they?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter