Anyone have a Balsam Hill artificial tree? Is it worth the expense?

cords

Mouseketeer
We have always had real trees but now that the kids are older and not around much, the fun of going up into the mountains and cutting down a tree has waned significantly. Even going down the street to a local lot has become tedious. Plus, I worry all the time about the tree starting on fire if it gets dry.

We have decided to make the switch to fake. I will miss the smell but I won't miss the needles and the mess. Every review I read, the Balsam Hill trees are at the top of the list. But my goodness, they are pricey. Are they worth it? We are looking at the "Most Realistic" ones since they have the most tips and are the widest. I buy online all the time, but I hate to buy something sight unseen when the 9' tree at Costco is a third the price and not completely horrible. But I am willing to pay the $1,200 if the Balsam Hill ones are that more realistic.

The reviews are wonderful online but I am still hesitant.

Does anyone have one and are they that more realistic than the ones in the big box stores?

I have one, didn't pay that much for it since I got it at the end of the year. It's much nicer than any other tree I've had in the past, and there have been a lot. My one regret is that I didn't spring for the prelit one.

We got a 9ft pre-lit multi-colored lights one with the old school needles two years ago. We got ours during a really good sale and I think we paid around $350-$400 for it though it might have been just over $400 too (normal price is the low $800s).

We needed to find a tree that could fit the alcove where we were going to put it but we also needed a tall tree as where it is at is a two-story foyer. They had narrower 9ft trees. Ours is a Berkshire Mountain Fir Narrow width. It's 54inches wide and the space it is in is around 59 inches.

Our tree came with a free storage bag (good quality one too), a foot pump step type thing to turn the lights on and off with your foot (a life safer), a tree stand with rubber feet (good for our hardwood floor) and "fluffing" gloves. It was also free shipping when we bought it.

We love the tree. We searched and searched and we'd find a tree but the reviews for it would be terrible. Or we'd find a tree and it would be too wide for a 9ft tree or it would be way too expensive for what you got. Balsam Hill had what we wanted.

I leave the "fluffing" up to my husband but I will say the pictures on Balsam Hill are not likely to be what your tree will turn out unless you spend forever fluffing the tree; not knocking Balsam Hill on that but I understand they've done a lot of work and clever picture-taking skills. My husband spent about an hour and a half this year and honestly it could use just a bit more fluffing but it's good for us and overall we're still very happy with the tree. If you can look at the reviews see if people have posted their pictures which should give you a better idea..just know some people don't spend any time fluffing and wonder why the tree has open spots.

I'm partial to the old school needles but Balsam has their version of "true to life" type trees or ones that mix the traditional with the true to life.

Personally speaking I find the trees at my Costco to be too bare in spots. I don't know though if it's just because they don't spend the time to fluff or whatnot. I haven't checked it out but if Costco has trees available on their website you might check out the reviews if there are any.

Right now I see Balsam Hill has a sale (up to 50% off and free shipping) going on their website but it says it ends at midnight....there will probably be another sale though soonish.

Yes, I have one... It is great!
Mine is actually s smaller tree, in like a pot/urn.
It is one of the ones that is totally, 100%, real-needle. no filler.
Super nice.

Holy crap, $1200???

Santa himself would have to come set it up every year for it to be worth that price LOL

We love our Balsam Hill tree and think it was worth every penny. I bought it after Christmas though, so we got a great price on a prelit tree.

Holy crap, $1200???

Santa himself would have to come set it up every year for it to be worth that price LOL

Yea paying that much is overpaying. Only buy on sale OP.

Now I have to go look at the trees, lol. I bought a new tree this yr on black friday @ Sears for 189. It is OK as far as looks however it was pre lit and you just cannot "see" the ornaments at night on the tree. I hate these LEDs they put on the trees.

If I did buy an expensive tree it would be UNLIT.

ETA....Looked up the trees and they are very nice. I am going to have to "watch" the sales. :scratchin

Last edited:

Yea paying that much is overpaying. Only buy on sale OP.

Now I have to go look at the trees, lol. I bought a new tree this yr on black friday @ Sears for 189. It is OK as far as looks however it was pre lit and you just cannot "see" the ornaments at night on the tree. I hate these LEDs they put on the trees.

If I did buy an expensive tree it would be UNLIT.

ETA....Looked up the trees and they are very nice. I am going to have to "watch" the sales. :scratchin
I totally get the LED thing. We just bought 2 new multi colored light sets for outside for next year on Black Friday as the ones we have well they've been on their last leg for quite some time. My husband likes the new LED set and I'm less excited...it is SOOOO bright. But on the other hand we shouldn't have to fiddle with the lights for a while.

Balsam Hill has options incandescent or LED. I personally chose incandescent lights.

Annddd I happened to look and in my earlier comment I was talking about a sale that was ending at midnight but that there would likely be another sale....welll there is another up to 50% sale that ends on December 12...but there will likely be another sale after that;just the inventory might be lower after each sale.

FWIW my specific Balsam Hill tree came with a 5 year foliage warranty and a 3 year light warranty. Their signature trees come with a 10 year foliage warranty. You just want to look at the specific tree you want to find out what warranty it is covered under. I don't know about other trees from other places like Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc and their warranties.

What are fluffing gloves?
They are used to help your hands not get all roughed up as much when you are fluffing the tree up. Here's a pic of ours (we have two sets) that have been used for a few years now:

upload_2016-12-9_17-55-15.png

Balsam Hill's technical term is "protective gloves to shape your tree in style"...I just call them fluffing gloves..cuz that's what you use them for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter