Anyone get a stimulus check already? Curious.

Don’t qualify but know someone has received it. Wish they would stop sending money out.
I'll add to that, "Wish they would stop sending money out" to those who don't need it.

I looked, it's pending. I don't need it. It doesn't help those who do need it.

I've been working the whole time. We were slammed at the beginning because of the shutdowns as we produce landscape products. Been working a lot of overtime all year. Though the end of the year was unusually not busy for me, usually I have a ton of overtime but this has nothing to do with the pandemic, I just was paid out for my 2 weeks of unused vacation. I get paid out for my unused sick time next pay. I don't make a lot of money, I'm comfortable with it (my money problems do not come from the paycheck) and I'm now rolling in it. Why did I need another $600 that I will have to pay back and my children will have to pay back so much more for no benefit to anyone.

Hubs said ours was there yesterday. His income has dropped by over 60% this year- and still in top earners of his company, not good news. He’s been looking for other opportunities too. Money went to mortgage!

I'll add to that, to those who don't need it.

I looked, it's pending. I don't need it. It doesn't help those who do need it.

I've been working the whole time. We were slammed at the beginning because of the shutdowns as we produce landscape products. Been working a lot of overtime all year. Though the end of the year was unusually not busy for me, usually I have a ton of overtime but this has nothing to do with the pandemic, I just was paid out for my 2 weeks of unused vacation. I get paid out for my unused sick time next pay. I don't make a lot of money, I'm comfortable with it (my money problems do not come from the paycheck) and I'm now rolling in it. Why did I need another $600 that I will have to pay back and my children will have to pay back so much more for no benefit to anyone.
Then go spend it and use it for its intended purpose of a stimulus. Or donate it to any of the small businesses that are struggling right now.

Again, just because you don’t need it doesn’t mean there aren’t people who are still employed who don’t. Or people who were employed in 2019 but no longer are.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that not everybody fits in the nice little box they want them to?

ETA: for all of those worried about debt we’re leaving our children, direct payments (which are our own tax money) is a drop in the bucket. Focus those concerns where it’s needed - like maybe the millionaires who got million dollar PPP loans, including somebody’s wife; that same somebody who decided $2000 was too much for us.

I WISH I could upgrade my internet, as it would open up the possibility to do my schooling entirely from home (until internship at a hospital, at least). But no, I'm still stuck with Frontier Wireless DSL, after almost 20 years. There's still nothing better available in my area.
Frontier wireless just sounds.....old and slow lol

Then go spend it and use it for its intended purpose of a stimulus. Or donate it to any of the small businesses that are struggling right now.

Again, just because you don’t need it doesn’t mean there aren’t people who are still employed who don’t. Or people who were employed in 2019 but no longer are.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that not everybody fits in the nice little box they want them to?

ETA: for all of those worried about debt we’re leaving our children, direct payments (which are our own tax money) is a drop in the bucket. Focus those concerns where it’s needed - like maybe the millionaires who got million dollar PPP loans, including somebody’s wife; that same somebody who decided $2000 was too much for us.
I didn't put anyone in a box. I knew someone would respond negatively. I didn't expand, merely said that I don't need it and also that $600 simply doesn't help anyone. So you can make half a rent payment that you've missed over the last 10 months. That doesn't help.

I did not say that no one needs help. What if instead of creating a feel good bill so they could throw all kinds of money into their pet projects, they created something independent of anything else to help those forced out of work? Normal people laid off from their jobs have unemployment. Yes the States created a mess, that is a different issue. That needs fixed as well. Small business owners and self employed folks, they are the ones forced down with no help at all. Why give $600 to so many who don't need it, I would rather my taxes help out rather than just spread out and help no one.

So you can make half a rent payment that you've missed over the last 10 months. That doesn't help.
Hmm seems at least some rent paid would help the landlord wouldn't it? The one who can't legally evict (and in some cases really doesn't want to on a moral level) for non-payment but has their own bills to pay. My sister-in-law is such a landlord, she's probably the person who you assume doesn't need any help because you assume too much.

Honestly for every tired argument of "it doesn't help" I wonder if people even spend half the time really thinking about it because it doesn't seem to be that way.

Normal people laid off from their jobs have unemployment. Yes the States created a mess, that is a different issue. That needs fixed as well. Small business owners and self employed folks, they are the ones forced down with no help at all. Why give $600 to so many who don't need it, I would rather my taxes help out rather than just spread out and help no one.

Many people have had a reduction in hours at work (mandatory as companies trying to limit layoffs) so they do not qualify for unemployment but are still struggling to pay the bills. $600 for some means food on the table, keeping the lights on, gas to get to work. It is really clear that some people on this thread have never been poor to the point of struggling to gather five dollars to be able to put gas in their car to get to work...It's not perfect but for many that $600 matters.

I didn't put anyone in a box. I knew someone would respond negatively. I didn't expand, merely said that I don't need it and also that $600 simply doesn't help anyone. So you can make half a rent payment that you've missed over the last 10 months. That doesn't help.

I did not say that no one needs help. What if instead of creating a feel good bill so they could throw all kinds of money into their pet projects, they created something independent of anything else to help those forced out of work? Normal people laid off from their jobs have unemployment. Yes the States created a mess, that is a different issue. That needs fixed as well. Small business owners and self employed folks, they are the ones forced down with no help at all. Why give $600 to so many who don't need it, I would rather my taxes help out rather than just spread out and help no one.
I already answered this earlier in the thread. Because there are people who are still employed who have increased expenses working/schooling from home and disregarding an entire group like this is wrong. Which is exactly my point. UI doesn’t help those people. And I agree $600 isn’t nearly enough, but it’s better than nothing.

But the person you quoted, which I replied to, said no checks at all. And you did put people in boxes - because you’re employed and don’t need it, you decided all employed people don’t need it.

But it’s important to understand the economics of it too. It’s not a “need” payment. It’s a stimulus. So the idea is we ALL spend it to help our local businesses. Some will need it to survive and that’s ok. Those investing it or buying Bitcoin or anything like that are a huge part of the problem. If you don’t need it - spend it or donate it! That’s it’s intended purpose.

I also see you skipped right over the PPP part. How about we focus our efforts on making sure that money gets to the businesses who actually need it instead of the millionaires?

That is because of tax laws.

Y'all are really mad over the wrong thing. It's not the stimulus that is the problem. It's how the government spends money and in your point above it's how tax write offs allow some people a means to show much less tax liability than they should have. But y'all keep complaining about the stimulus instead of the actual root causes for your complaint....

HEAR! HEAR!

That’s the nature of economics in the US. The rich often find ways to stay richer. It is what it is. Hence the huge wealth gap in this country. I’m all for a complete overall of our tax system to make this less possible, BUT a stimulus that will help the economy & tons of ppl who absolutely need it during a world-wide pandemic is not the time to start that process. Sure sounds like most ppl complaining are just bitter b/c they don’t qualify.

In Canada some of us are known to continue to say as our Prime Minister did, now is not the time for austerity. A healthy people, a healthy nation.

I have yet to receive mine, but I'm not in dire straits so I can wait. I'm also waiting on my W-2 to file my tax return. Since I claim 0 with my employer, I expect to get at least a small return.

I'm also curious about how everybody feels regarding the current Stimulus situation. The $600 u checks are going out, but as I understand it, the push for $2,000 checks got completely denied and it's unlikely well ever see that remaining $1400 in the future. I think it unlikely that we will see a third stimulus package either now that we have a vaccine slowly being distributed to the population.

I'm late to catching up here and I'm also not an American so I don't fully understand your governing. At any rate, my understanding was future bill passings would be in jeopardy if this was endorsed?

Last edited:
No sign of mine, yet. I am sending mine to my sister to help her remodel her bathroom. She is a SAHM with six kids and her husband was laid off in March due to Covid and has not found another job. She has become the primary caregiver to my Dad, who we rescued from the nursing home that almost killed him. Yes, I'm serious about that. Her bathroom needs to be handicap accessible for him.

I don't "need" it, but the intent is for it to be spent and stimulate the economy. I am donating it to my sister, who needs it more than I, and she is spending it in a way that will keeps a small remodeler in business. We are both taking care of family. Win, win, win!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter