Anyone ever split stay in the same resort? GF

biggroofy

DIS Veteran
I know it is weird (at least to me). We booked a MYW (7-day-ticket) for 3 nights stay at Grand Floridian. We couldn't stay for longer because Garden View rooms are sold out afterwards.

Now I noticed that Club-Level rooms are available. IF I make another reservation for Club Level rooms at GF, will it make the "switch" easier since it will be within the same resort?

Will I be able to checkout/check-in at the same time, and will bellman move the luggage to our new room?

*I originally considered moving to another WDW resort, but I am wondering if this will be the most seamless way of doing things, especially we have booked FP+ in MK on that day.

Any comments?

You can "check in " at the same time (as long as it is after the computer switches over usually after 6:00am) but the new room most likely wouldn't be available until later in the day. We once checked out and in at the same time in the morning at POFQ due to a discount availability. Since we had the same type of room booked and linked the reservations the hotel was able to keep us in the same room. In your situation that won't be the case.You can store the luggage with bell service then call them to bring them to your new room once you get there. Or pick them up yourselves to take to your new room.

Thanks Kirk and ncc1701.

Technically speaking, in terms of hassles (luggage/check-in & out), will there be a difference if I stay at GL for the extra nights, or move to WL?

Thanks Kirk and ncc1701.

Technically speaking, in terms of hassles (luggage/check-in & out), will there be a difference if I stay at GL for the extra nights, or move to WL?
Staying at the same resort would be easier. Disney can move your luggage to WL . Never done a split at WDW but depending on your plans I would taxi or Uber to WL (if you don't have a car). That way even if the room isn't available you know the luggage is there once you get the room.

I have done split stay at the same resort (AKL). We were staying for 21 nights, so over the 14 night maximum, so had to do two reservations. However we stayed in the same room. But I had mentioned the 2 reservations at check in (and also noted them in my booking). Then the day before, i went down to reception just to double check we could stay in the same room, which they said we would. So next morning, I was able to go down and check out and check in at the same time without any problem.

So sorry, can't help with the luggage, but I couldn't see that would be a problem, I am sure they would come and pick it up and take it to the new room when ready as they do it between resorts.

So I would make sure you mention the two ressies when you check in and with a bit of luck, they may assign you a room if not busy, that is vacant and you could move straight from one to the other. Wouldn't hurt checking the day before too, for a little reminder.

I know it is weird (at least to me). We booked a MYW (7-day-ticket) for 3 nights stay at Grand Floridian. We couldn't stay for longer because Garden View rooms are sold out afterwards.

Now I noticed that Club-Level rooms are available. IF I make another reservation for Club Level rooms at GF, will it make the "switch" easier since it will be within the same resort?

Will I be able to checkout/check-in at the same time, and will bellman move the luggage to our new room?

*I originally considered moving to another WDW resort, but I am wondering if this will be the most seamless way of doing things, especially we have booked FP+ in MK on that day.

Any comments?

Why don't you ask if you can just keep your room? I have been CL at the Grand and have been in different buildings than in Sugar Loaf. Personally, as long as I have access to the lounge I do not need to be in the building. It is more convenient, but it is not a deal breaker.

Why don't you ask if you can just keep your room? I have been CL at the Grand and have been in different buildings than in Sugar Loaf. Personally, as long as I have access to the lounge I do not need to be in the building. It is more convenient, but it is not a deal breaker.

Thank you, I may ask if that will work. It is true that as long as I can access the lounge in Sugar Loaf for breakfast etc, I don't have to live in the building. The rooms are more or less the same :)

It is just the fact that the Garden View rooms are sold out, and if I wanted to extend my stay this seems to be the only option. Our check-out/check-in date, we had dining reservations at Be Our Guest and also kids wanted to stay in MK until "Happily Ever After" (which are *important* things to the kids lol), and we won't return to our resort until late that evening. If paying a premium (extend our stay in GF) will make things easier (luggage transfers etc) I would rather do that.

Thank you, I may ask if that will work. It is true that as long as I can access the lounge in Sugar Loaf for breakfast etc, I don't have to live in the building. The rooms are more or less the same :)

It is just the fact that the Garden View rooms are sold out, and if I wanted to extend my stay this seems to be the only option. Our check-out/check-in date, we had dining reservations at Be Our Guest and also kids wanted to stay in MK until "Happily Ever After" (which are *important* things to the kids lol), and we won't return to our resort until late that evening. If paying a premium (extend our stay in GF) will make things easier (luggage transfers etc) I would rather do that.

I don't know exactly how it would work, but if I was in that boat I would explain my dilemna at checking. If they can find a reasonable solution that involves less confusion they will.

Good luck!

Our check-out/check-in date, we had dining reservations at Be Our Guest and also kids wanted to stay in MK until "Happily Ever After" (which are *important* things to the kids lol), and we won't return to our resort until late that evening. If paying a premium (extend our stay in GF) will make things easier (luggage transfers etc) I would rather do that.

I see no difference to you in moving or not moving.

If you move, you hand bags over to bell services and they will be available after official checkin time for the new resort. You get packed and get out and do whatever you're doing that day. Go to the new resort when you are ready, talk to Bell on your way up or call them from your room and bags will be delivered.

The ONLY difference with staying at GF is that the bags don't have to be *moved* anywhere, and they are there at the resort if you get your room earlier. BUT it sounds like you have a very long day planned at MK so even if you got your room early it wouldn't matter because you won't be there for it.

Do what you want to do. You, with your busy day, won't notice any difference in how bags are dealt with. Whatever resort you have, you'll return from MK and have your bags delivered to you.

It is possible your new room would be ready. I've checked into GF early, before 10:00 am and gave had a room ready.
You can go down to desk that morning to do your check out/in and if room is ready just get bell service to move luggage. If not they can store it. I've been known to go down the night before to see if room will be ready. By then your next room will be blocked off, and they'll be able to see it.
It helps doing online check in, and you can indicate time of arrival.

It should be quite simple. Our last trip my husband wanted to stay an extra night before leaving so I tried to book the same room but it was sold out so I booked at a different resort. Once there I found a room at the same resort and was able to switch so we could stay at the resort but a different room. In the morning I went to check in before heading to the park to check in to our new room. we were given our room number even though it wasn't ready and they retrieved our luggage from the room. When we returned later in the day to the new room our luggage was there. I think it's easier to guarantee your luggage will be easily accessible if you stay at the same resort. I would try to stay at current resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!