Anyone else's child trying out for cheerleading?

Mimi Q

<font color=blue>Can't wait to ride it<br><font co
My oldest DD is in the sixth grade. She is trying out for the cheerleading squad at her middle school. Try-outs begin two weeks from Monday and last the entire week. 50-60 girls, including all of her friends, are going out for the 8 open positions on the squad. I am already getting nervous just thinking about it, because she wants to make the squad so badly.

Best wishes and pixie dust to your daughter.

My 7th grader tried out this year and did not make it. I was actually really relieved because she is on a competitive gymnastics team and works out 16 hrs. a week there - so I think adding cheer to that would have been too much - for me if not for her. :crazy:

Two of DD's best friends made the squad. It was a little tense between them for the first little while - but everything seems to be back to normal now. They come over and she practices right along with them. If she decides to try again next year - I think she will be much more prepared.

Some of the girls were so crushed though! It's hard when there are so few spots and so many that want to be involved.

My DD does competitive gymnastics, too- 11 1/2 hrs. each week. I don't know if she will have time for both if she makes the squad.

My oldest DD (7th grade) tried out for cheerleading in the fall and made the squad. :D I must say, it could of been a lot more fun if the coach wasn't so horrible to the girls. (for instance, one girl had ordered the special sneakers they needed and they didn't come in...the coach screamed at her so badly in front of all the girls, this girl broke down into tears!!:mad: ). If it's anything like our school was, get ready to be spending a wad of cash in very little time...special sneakers, shirt to wear under the uniform, gym pants to wear under the uniform if it's cool out, special matching hoodie...then there's the photos....:rolleyes:

The coach said the cost would be $350-$400.

I really thought the gymnastics training would have helped DD more - she is training level 7 and was able to do the most difficult tumbling skills, but the way they scored the tryouts it really was not that much of a benefit.

I think part of the problem was that she got talked into trying out by her friends - I'm not sure she really wanted it because she had already said that if it came down to a choice between gymnastics and cheer it would be gymnastics.

If your DD really wants it - I'm sure it will show in the tryout clinics and her gymnastics training should help out too.

I agreed to judge cheer tryouts once - it was tough!

Yep...I believe it!! :rolleyes: Do you have to get the special cheerleading sneakers??? I found that ladyfootlocker.com has the best price on them. My daughter really liked the sneakers and I went looking into getting her another pair when she outgrows them. I paid $60 for them....they were having a 50% off sale a little while ago! You can also get the body suits there as well. ::yes::

Pete's Mom- Hi! We live in North Georgia, too.

Always Quiet- I will definitely remember that if she makes the squad. Thanks.

cats mom- I was surprised how little tumbling accounts for on the score sheet. Just 6 out of 100 points.

Wow.....that is a deal.....At the high school that my daughter goes to ....it is very expensive to be a cheerleader.....A couple of her friends are on the squad and the cost is around 5000 a year. They have several outfit changes and go to camps....I think this is ridiculous and eliminates a lot of girls from trying out.....I feel it is very elitest. My daughter is on the dance team and it runs about 2000 with uniforms (rental) and camps....this is a bit high for me,but something she really wants to do....Anybody else have these prices at their schools

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO.

She lacks ambition (well, ok. I actually lack the ambition) to get her to practices and games and such.

Thankfully she is getting into Volleyball and either soccer or baseball.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter