Anyone else prefer the 1 bedroom over the studio?

prncssjas

Running, Disney, Aladdin...
I have spent quite a bit of time here the past few days catching up and I noticed more than ever that a lot of folks really prefer the studio accommodations over the one bedroom. I can certainly understand why--the points are much lower and unless you plan to cook on vacation ( :rotfl2: ) then why the need for a kitchen? But honestly, I'd rather book the one bedroom if I can. It's usually just me, DH and my lovely teenage son (17) and I'd like all the space I can get. The studio can feel quite cramped at times. LOL! I also love the separate bedroom so my son can stay up as late he wants. Anyone else feel this way or am I just wasteful? :scratchin

Well, if you're being wasteful, we both are. And frankly, the one bedroom accommodations are the reason we joined DVC-they're more "homey", whereas staying in a studio isn't far removed from staying in hotel rooms. Staying in a one bedroom, we get the laundry-yes, studios have access to free laundry but there's nothing like being able to throw a load of clothes in the wash while you're having breakfast. And there's a regular kitchen with a full size refrigerator, freezer (no more grabbing the ice bucket and heading to the ice machine), and best of all-a separate bedroom with a king sized bed. There's just two of us, but we definitely prefer one bedrooms.

Well, if you're being wasteful, we both are. And frankly, the one bedroom accommodations are the reason we joined DVC-they're more "homey", whereas staying in a studio isn't far removed from staying in hotel rooms. Staying in a one bedroom, we get the laundry-yes, studios have access to free laundry but there's nothing like being able to throw a load of clothes in the wash while you're having breakfast. And there's a regular kitchen with a full size refrigerator, freezer (no more grabbing the ice bucket and heading to the ice machine), and best of all-a separate bedroom with a king sized bed. There's just two of us, but we definitely prefer one bedrooms.

LOL, yes yes yes! I forgot about the laundry! Yes, so convenient and I love it. We are also at the point in our Disney vacations where we DO spend time in the resort room (versus out touring ALL day) and I'd prefer the space. Lucky for us because it's much easier to find the 1 bedroom than it is the studio. 🙌

Well, I would love the one bedroom, but if I can stay twice as long in a studio , I'll deal with a studio. But it's just the two of us. Only once did we have grown kids with us in a studio and that was only overnight for about 12 hours.

We do. We bought DVC for the 1BR. Though my 3 kids were young then, in 2006, but we liked the ability to close the door to the master. And loved (still love) having the in unit W/D. Also enjoy the jetted tub. Now that my kids are all off to college/adulting it's usually just DH and I so we tried going down to a studio but I missed the W/D in unit. Plus DH has to work in the room often and needs privacy so it's nice to have a master bedroom for him to go in. And another thing that is better about a 1BR over a studio is hallway noise...when back in the master with door closed you don't hear folks out in hallway talking and slamming doors and kids running and yelling. You have a buffer. In a studio you are laying there looking at the door pretty much and can hear all that goes on outside it. Same applies if you're in lock-off...the connecting door in the studio allows for noise to filter in whereas the lucky soul in the connecting 1BR can go in the master and clase the door. (I was just in a studio at HHI last week and the connecting door noise is real as is the doors slamming in the hallway...uggghhh). No more studios planned for us. With 450 points, and us wanting to cut back on trips, we can afford 1BR every time (1 week in Oct at BWV and 1 week in May at HHI). Worth it for us!

Last edited:
For next year we were looking at studio at WL and after much deliberation we opted for the one bed at OKW. Although WL is my favourite resort, the one beds at OKW are large and feels like a much nicer place to relax. Whther WL or OKW it was win, win. However if staying in studio meant we could visit twice a year (from the UK) rathet than once, I would do a studio.

We got a one bedroom at AKL for our honeymoon. I'm worried it's going to spoil us 😂
I don't blame you! We were the same...did the studios at first and then once we did the one bedroom, there was no turning back....

Yup, LOVE the one bedrooms. Now most of our stays we do some nights in a studio and the second leg of our trip in the one bedrooms.

I've stayed in neither but when were looking at places to stay my boyfriend loved the look of the one bedrooms over studios for the space and tubs alone.

I don't blame you! We were the same...did the studios at first and then once we did the one bedroom, there was no turning back....
We thought we could take another week off for NYE and borrowed points. We ended up having to cancel that trip and since we borrowed them I just decided to put them to their best use getting us a one bedroom upgrade. This might be our deciding factor to buy a third round of points

We generally stay in studios if it's just the 4 of us. If we're travelling with friends/relatives, we get a 2 bedroom lockoff...we get the 1 bedroom side, they get the studio, but we open up the living room during 'waking' hours, so everyone can use the laundry/full kitchen, etc. We really do enjoy the 1 bedroom side when we're travelling with others! We generally can't justify the point cost when it's just the 4 of us. But...I did recently book a 1 bedroom for part of our trip next summer...plan is 4 nts in a monorail resort studio (hopefully!), 4 nts at BWV standard view 1 bedroom (booked!), and then a 4 nt DCL cruise (booked!). Decided to do the 1 bedroom in the middle so we can do laundry whenever we want before the cruise. It'll be like we're taking 3 vacations, but only 1 airfare!

(I was just in a studio at HHI last week and the connecting door noise is real as is the doors slamming in the hallway...uggghhh). No more studios planned for us. With 450 points, and us wanting to cut back on trips, we can afford 1BR every time (1 week in Oct at BWV and 1 week in May at HHI). Worth it for us!

LOL-One year, we rented a studio at HHI-don't know why, we always get a 1 BR there. I spent the entire week b****ing and moaning about how I missed the 1 BR. The fact that the only ice machine was not just down the hall, but 2 stories down was the final blow!

We never book less than a one bedroom. The kitchen, the laundry, the space. I haven’t stayed in a studio in years. Whether there are 2 of us or four of us or more. We have over 1200 points across several resorts so we can afford it.

LOL-One year, we rented a studio at HHI-don't know why, we always get a 1 BR there. I spent the entire week b****ing and moaning about how I missed the 1 BR. The fact that the only ice machine was not just down the hall, but 2 stories down was the final blow!
Yup...ice machine AND laundry room. We were 3rd floor, as I requested (thinking all the neighbor noise would be reduced but not so much). We just booked next May and I had to use every last point to get a 1BR (and am waiting to add night at 7 month mark with 8 OTU points I have to buy so we can have 4 nights).

When we were a family of three, we just about always booked a one bedroom villa. Now that our son is off being an adult and can't go when we go, we still get a one bedroom villa because we prefer a king sized bed. And if he can join us for a night or two, he gets the living room.

We do take a short trip in Dec at OKW in a studio and we each get a queen sized bed of our own. Neither of us like the sleeper sofas, so none of the other studios work very well for us. We relocated to SW Florida two years ago, so we can take shorter trips (three nights, four nights, five nights) than when we lived 930 miles away. Those were always seven to nine nights.

I have a long-standing requirement that any time we stay anywhere (DVC, hotel, etc.) more than a couple of nights, we get a 1 bedroom (suite in hotel). I like to get up early, drink my coffee, read the paper, watch the news. DH likes to sleep late. Saves our marriage 😁.

Getting a one bedroom is one reason why we bought DVC. It’s just the two of us but having a king bed and more living space makes the vacation so much more relaxing.

We don’t cook meals but the full fridge and dishwasher are handy for snacking and adult beverages.

Until we had our first stay, we didn’t realize how nice the in room laundry is. It’s so great just to be able to toss stuff in and leave especially since we usually stay for 10 days.

We’ve been told we aren’t using our points wisely by other members. But for us the space and amenities make it so much more relaxing.

YES! I could not agree more! You sound like my vacation twin!! Not to mention we both have been on these boards for 19-20 years!!! LOL! Love it. 👯‍♂️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter