Anyone else Hate "fair" part of AK??

Blessed_wth_Triplets

DIS Veteran
Are we the only ones?? Just got back last week and while we really enjoyed Animal Kingdom...I forgot the correct term...but that "fair" style part with the Triceritop Spin ride and all those carnival games?? Yuk! What were they thinking? The atmosphere was so "non-disney".

I overheard two other parents kind of annoyed too...like.." I paid good $$ to get into the park now they want me to pay $$ for games...that hardly ever win crapy prizes!?" I had to agree with her. DH and I were like...let's get out of here..and proceeded onto the Dinosaur ride...never go back to that part of the park....

Hate is such a strong word for any part of WDW... :)

The carvinal area takes a lot of heat, but if you follow the back story to it, it's kind of humorous. If you're familiar with the WDW Radio Show by Lou Mongello, he and Jeff Pepper did an excellent segment on Dinorama a few months ago. If you can dig that up, you'd likely find a different appreciation for it. :)

You are not alone. My DW and I avoid that area too. We don't really care for Dinosaur or Triceratop spin so the only time we are near that area is if we are heading to Nemo or eating at R.Saurous.

Hate is such a strong word for any part of WDW... :)

The carvinal area takes a lot of heat, but if you follow the back story to it, it's kind of humorous. If you're familiar with the WDW Radio Show by Lou Mongello, he and Jeff Pepper did an excellent segment on Dinorama a few months ago. If you can dig that up, you'd likely find a different appreciation for it. :)

Hey - you beat me to it!

I guess I'll just second the notion that "hate" and "Disney" don't go together in the same sentence. ;)

I agree with the posters above - hate - is a harsh word for WDW.

I do agree the "fair" portion to which you refer is not the most ideal setting, and I always hope they might update that section. Not likely, but WDW is also about dreaming ;)

honestly I don't care what the backstory is supposed to be, it's horribly tacky and not what Disney is supposed to be about AT ALL.

If they were planning to tear it out tomorrow, I'd be the first one to help them

I won't say its my favorite part of AK, but we have had some fun moments there. My DS 9 really loves winning those silly little crocodiles at the whack a mole. This year and last we were in that section first and nobody else was there. So I paid for the two of us to play and let him win. Its a big deal to him :confused3 . Anyway, its starting to grow on me a little :goodvibes .

Alright..alright..I agree...hate is a strong word associated with Disney :)..but I totally agree with the above poster...totally tacky and not at all like Disney.

Maybe they should relocate those games to The Boardwalk area. It is very "boardwalk-like". I say this as a proud Jersey girl. ;)

I agree with the OP - I don't even do any of those tacky carnival rides.
WDW can do so much better than that - they have done better.
If they are going to have bad carnival rides - at least have the Tilt-A-Whirl. That's my favorite bad carnival ride.

Love Chester and Hester's. It's the only part of WDW that has a real "midway" feel. It's supposed to be cheesy, and it took a lot of work to pull it off.

You're supposed to feel like you're at a carnival run by dinosaurs. Since they don't even have opposable thumbs, one would have to feel that they wouldn't be up to par with what a real Imagineer would be able to do.

It's better than that worthless Camp MinnieMickey. Boy, now THAT is a land they can get rid of.

I understand that it's supposed to be carnival cheesy, but it's my least favorite place on Disney property. That area of AK is an eyesore to me.

The rest of AK is nicely themed.

I have have always heard that Walt was not a fan of carnival-type attractions. That is why I have an issue with that part of AK. It looks cheap and tacky to me. I expect to see unique attractions at Disney parks. There are at least 3 parks within 2 hours of me where I can ride a wild mouse ride similar to Primeval Whirl.

It took me at least 3 visits to AK before I spent any time in this area. I have to admit that I enjoyed Primeval Whirl. I wonder if I am being too harsh and should accept the fact that this part of the park seems to be enjoyed by many of the families who visit? (i.e. its not for me but I shouldn't be upset with people who enjoy it.)

It's not my favorite either. IMO, it feels like they just didn't know what to do with the space. Plus, I HATE when you pay admission to a theme park and there are things that cost extra.

I usually avoid that area
I go to AK for Everest, Safari, Lion King show, Dawa Bar/TamTams

It's not our favorite part of the park but we have fun when we're there! I like Primevil Whirl and Dinosaur and the midway/carnival/boardwalk games are a fun way to waste some time waiting for your FP time!

I never really explored that area only because I grew up at the jersey shore and reminds me of the boardwalk. I don't want to go to disney and have it remind me of home.

Are we the only ones?? Just got back last week and while we really enjoyed Animal Kingdom...I forgot the correct term...but that "fair" style part with the Triceritop Spin ride and all those carnival games?? Yuk! What were they thinking? The atmosphere was so "non-disney".

I overheard two other parents kind of annoyed too...like.." I paid good $$ to get into the park now they want me to pay $$ for games...that hardly ever win crapy prizes!?" I had to agree with her. DH and I were like...let's get out of here..and proceeded onto the Dinosaur ride...never go back to that part of the park....

HAte isn't too strong a word.

Dinoland represents EVERYTHING Walt Disney didn't want his parks to be. He HATED roadside carnivals and the like. It's like they're flipping Walt, the man who created a cultural phenomena the bird and it's not done very well to boot.

I wish it would be swollowed by the earth.

I would destroy it myself and salt the earth so that it couldn't be put back.

Our DD's love Primeval Whirl and ride it over and over (I am fine with one time)!!
Also, DD9 loves Triceratop Spin-it's like Dumbo with a sweet dinosaur. We don't
play the games, but feel the rides are great and are "must do's" for our DD's!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter