Anyone else Hate "fair" part of AK??

I love Dinosaur and Primeval Whirl, but I don't care for the games of skill/chance with prizes. That said, I know when I go to "those other parks" like King's Dominion and Busch Gardens, the games are always busy, so I guess a lot of people like them. I think the theming of the area is cute; it reminds me of the carnivals I went to as a kid.
Every part of WDW is not going to appeal to everyone. Like, I can't stand arcades and think they are nothing but a waste of $, so I have always avoided the arcades at MK (Tomorrowland and the one that used to be in Adventureland). But, there always seems to be a lot of kids in there, so somebody likes it.

I hate it, too.

I get that they were going for a parody/pastiche of bad roadside attractions, etc., but for me it just doesn't work. It breaks the spell of the park!

I loathe it.
Yes, it's supposed to be cheesy, but the fact remains - it's cheesy. Mission accomplished.

I grew up in a seaside tourist town (Salisbury, for anyone from the Mass./NH area) and it takes me right back to that tacky, awful looking, depressing part of the north shore.

It's only missing three things that would make it completely authentic:
1. Classic and hair band tapestries
2. Ozzy and Def Leppard mirrors
3. 2 for $5 T-shirts that say "Hampton (or insert your seaside town) Beach" on them.

(Bonus 4th item for Salisbury Beach veterans: The Normandy Lounge. Or the Kon Tiki.)

We like it. The area is supposed to harken back to the days of roadside attractions that are mostly extinct now. It does that well, and in a Disney style.

Hate is a little over the top! Many people just don't get that whole area. We're from the mid-west so fair's are a big part our summers. I find it a very quaint through back. Tacky was the point! I agree choking us for more money to play games is a bit much. So everyone who didn't like the area also doesn't like Dumbo at MK? Same ride as TS... Put a roof on Primeval Whirl and you've practically got Space Mountain (minus the spinning). Now before I get flamed...I love SM and Dumbo and I am certainly not saying they are equal! I'm just saying Disney has something for everyone...and this isn't for you! Enjoy the rides and move on...Have a wonderful time at Disney!! :thumbsup2

popcorn::

Listening to Lou and Jeff discuss the backstory to Dinoland gave me a whole new appreciation for what the Imagineers did there. It was done on purpose, to simulate a cheesy roadside tourist trap. We don't spend a lot of time there (we do PW, Dinosaur, look around a little and move on) but it is fun to look around and pick up on the little Imagineering extras they put in (again, on purpose) to enhance the backstory. I think it's cool. It's certainly not just glommed on as an afterthought the way some things were :-)cough:Playful Spot:cough).

So the parking lot was a part of the plan...that this spot sits on?? Thanks, will have to tell DH...cause it really perplexed him! lol

We don't like this part of the park either, travelling fairs are a big part of English culture too and to me it's just out of place. We always use the restrooms in this area as they are never busy!
Although, it's not as bad as the bit near Jaws at US - that is really tacky and an obvious attempt at income generation.

Add me to the long list of people who just don't like this area. I understand it's supposed to be cheesy and tacky, but when I enter that area, or it's within "eye" shot, I immediately feel as if I've been transported OUT of WDW. I really do despise this area. I know how Walt was with carnivals, and I know the imagineers know that more than we do, so there MUST be an interesting story behind it....With that said, however, I have no doubt anything could take away the feeling I get when I'm around Dinoland.

Yeah it was created ON PURPOSE to simulate cheesy roadside carnivals. Still......it's a cheesy roadside carnival in the middle of a Disney Park. It's like the proverbial turd in the punchbowl. It's like wearing a tuxedo...with brown socks. Just not a good fit.

BTW, does Boardwalk currently have games like that? I've never been....hoping to visit that resort this year.

.....and.....can you say "turd" on the boards?

Yes, I don't like it either, mainly because I feel it takes the park down to a "carnival level". What I can say is that I like how the "carnies" or operators don't hound guests to play, like at a typical carnival. If I recall correctly, Universal has these type of games as well.

Yes, I don't like it either, mainly because I feel it takes the park down to a "carnival level". What I can say is that I like how the "carnies" or operators don't hound guests to play, like at a typical carnival. If I recall correctly, Universal has these type of games as well.

As i mentioned a few posts above I think it's more tacky at US - they actually hound you to play. I didn't remember this at US beofre and it really put us off after our trip in May, we won't be going back when we return next week! We were hounded to play these carnival games at US and to buy drinks and other merchandise - the staff were practically hanging out of the booths!

I love Prime Evil Whirl, one of my fav rides, my husband and I crack up... and have a blast- BAH BYE...anyway, while it is not beautiful, it is different and I know my nephew loved it when he was there for our wedding, because when you think about the rides that are there other than the safari what can the little ones do? He was too scared of Kali and Dinosaur - no way on Everest, so the triseratop spin was perfect for him.

I grew up in a seaside tourist town (Salisbury, for anyone from the Mass./NH area) and it takes me right back to that tacky, awful looking, depressing part of the north shore.

Hey, I've been there! Granted, we didn't get out of the car and it wasn't exactly tourist season, but Chester and Hester's doesn't remind me of that, at all. It does kind of remind me of the Midway at Cedar Point, which is something I always loved. In fact, if Chester and Hester's had that little kid duck game and the Roll-a-Bowl game, I'd be in my element! I once won a Duran Duran mirror playing that game. ;)

I don't think it's any tackier than ToonTown, to be honest. And the idea of objecting to paying extra to play a game is kind of funny to me. See, I've seen people spend at least as much money driving the little remote controlled boats at the Jungle Cruise or firing away at the Frontier Shootin' Arcade. And those don't offer a chance at even a cheap prize. I'm pretty sure that what Walt Disney objected to was the dirt, crime and general seediness that went along with carnival road shows in those days. Those carnivals often included "freak" side shows and strippers. I don't think ol' Walt would have a problem with clean cut college kids handing his daughters Crayola-colored dinosaurs for winning at Whack-a-Packycephalosaur.

I loathe it.
Yes, it's supposed to be cheesy, but the fact remains - it's cheesy. Mission accomplished.

It's only missing three things that would make it completely authentic:
1. Classic and hair band tapestries
2. Ozzy and Def Leppard mirrors
3. 2 for $5 T-shirts that say "Hampton (or insert your seaside town) Beach" on them.

(Bonus 4th item for Salisbury Beach veterans: The Normandy Lounge. Or the Kon Tiki.)

:thumbsup2 :rotfl2: :rotfl:

DH is from Haverhill. You hit the nail on the head. I do HATE this section of AK. They (the Imagineers) did have better plans for it and higher ups cheaped out.

We always use the restrooms in this area as they are never busy!
I fully agree...it is a wonderful location to find open restrooms! Of course, that's the only reason I ever go through this area.

Honestly, that part of AK just makes me feel uncomfortable. Too close, too crowded, all sorts of carny memories stirred up. I know that the intent is to re-awaken pleasant feelings of childhood memories for people who experienced those roadside attractions, but the memories they bring back for me are not so pleasant...seedy, dirty little holes is what that sort of thing is. I agree it has no place in a Disney park.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter