Anyone else gotten sick after Disney cruise?

The day after we got back from our cruise I got what I guess was the famous norovirus that is popular on ships. Which I know it is just food poisoning and that can happen anywhere.
Norovirus is NOT food poisoning. It's a virus that's highly transmittable in closed environments.

But, it can happen anywhere, not just cruise ships.

I'm fairly confident that many people have been sick after cruises. And after plane rides. And after visiting Grandma's house. If you're out in the world, and exposed to people you don't know, you're exposed to all sorts of things.

I typically get sick for a couple of days on all our trips. Regardless if we've flown to a cruise, taken a plane trip, or just been in a new place.

That said, my last cruise (28 nights to Hawaii/Tahiti) I didn't get sick at all. But, I'm just returning from a 2 week RV trip that I was laid out with a cold about 1/2 way through.

You just never know.

Airborne, Nuun Immunity, or Emercen-C Immunity is already in my routine as a teacher, but I double up on it starting about 2 weeks before a cruise or other trip!!

I always get sick the week after the semester ends, whether I am on vacation or just sitting home. I think my immune system is in overdrive around all the sick students, barely fighting off sore throat, etc. I'm running on stress hormones and adrenaline all through finals. As soon as I relax, my body crashes, usually with sinus infection crud, but Iseem to be more vulnerable to everything around then.

Other than that, we have always been relatively unscathed on cruises and Disney trips. We wash hands and take airborne when travelling, but even when DS was a toddler, and I swear it was all I could do to keep him from licking the handrails, he didn't get sick on any of our vacations.

We skipped our daughter's Brownie meeting the week before our last cruise and while we were sailing away, everyone who'd gone to the meeting was Noro-ing their guts out.
OH NO! That is awful!. I bet you were glad y'all didn't go to that meeting!

I ended up with food poisoning on the morning on debarkation. We made it to the airport, but I was so sick I was unable to board our flight. Interesting fact - there is a medical center in the Orlando airport. There they were able to give me medication and a shot for the nausea. My husband rolled me in a wheelchair to the airport Hyatt where we were able spend the rest of the day and night and eventually fly out the next afternoon. On the positive side our trip insurance covered the hotel, changing airline tickets and the extra meals for the whole family.

Yes we still cruise Disney. This happened years ago and with stops at various ports its hard to say exactly when it happened. Everything else we have seen and experienced through Disney has been very positive.

Noro isn’t food poisoning.

What getting noro means is that someone with it touched something on the ship, then you touched it and put your hand to your mouth or nose (mucus membranes) without washing it.

Do you see the transmission vector that YOU have control of there?

And yes this means forgoing bread rolls or other finger food, since it’s hard to wash hands then get to the dining area, order, and get your meal while touching NO chair or menu or salt shaker etc.

You *can* also get it by inhaling the virus, but that really means you’re in a room with someone actively being sick from it.

You can also get it from swimming pools.

DH got sick last day of trip. He thought he had a sore throat due to renting a snorkeling mask with a hole in the tube on CC and taking in a bunch of ocean water until he returned it for a better one. Just coughing and sneezing. No stomach trouble.
I think just the thought of it will mean we will bring our own snorkel next time even though it's totally possible it had nothing to do with the cold at all. Something icks him out now about using shared snorkel equipment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter