Anyone else experience bedbugs at POFQ?

What was your upgrade?

Don't want to scare you but I've heard of bed bug problems at BWI and the Poly too. I've also heard some of the best hotels in New York City have had problems recently. It seems as though the problem is that they are not allowed to use some of the pesticides they used earlier and more foreign travelers are bringing them in.

Let us know what kind of upgrade you received!

A few years ago I lived in a college dormitory and one of the rooms got infested with bedbugs. The health center sent out a mass e-mail that bedbugs are typically isolated to one room and the rest of us didn't have to worry. That room was evacuated and none of the surrounding had any problems.. so I'm not sure if one room (or even a block) had bedbugs that it would really affect the entire resort:confused3 This could be why PP are saying that only one bed had the bugs, I guess they don't travel much? I'm not expert but this seems plausible.

When I go, I'll check and double check and then not worry about it. Disney can only do so much- they can't pre-screen every guest to make sure they aren't bringing in bedbugs. We would hope that housekeeping checks, but who knows? I wouldn't count out an entire resort because of one, or even a few, previous issues. There are so many things that happen in a hotel than none of us ever know about anyways that would probably make our skin crawl! :scared1:

Well, I DID just call. I spoke with one lady first who directed me to another. I basically said "I was just made aware that your hotel has a problem with bed bugs. Is this true, I need to know!!" She answered "yes, our hotel has had problems with bb. She then proceeded to tell me that they emptly the rooms furniture, clean it out and replace it with new furniture...." We had quite a long conversation, and I was upgraded and hopefully will not have to stay in a room that was "previously" infected. Now, that was not my intention, I am not the type who is always trying to milk something to get something free - heck, I don't even take things back to the store because I can't be bothered! But, this DOES bother me. Again, world spread problem or not - Disney ought to work as hard as possible to work on ridding its hotel with Bed Bugs!!! Especially since this is one of the few places that accomodates a family of five!!!!!

I'm confused about being "upgraded." Were you moved to a deluxe resort since there aren't any premium rooms or places to upgrade to at POFQ/POR? Are you SURE you were talking directly to POR? :confused3

eta: Yes, I forgot about waterview! :upsidedow

I'm confused about being "upgraded." Were you moved to a deluxe resort since there aren't any premium rooms or places to upgrade to at POFQ/POR? Are you SURE you were talking directly to POR? :confused3
There are premium rooms at Port Orleans(Water View).:)

I would just HIGHLY suggest that you too call asap and tell them that you have been made aware that this hotel has a problem (and I do say problem, b/c it is not isolated to just one room....) regarding bb...and, be persistent and see what happens. Again, this was never my intention. I was just innocenlty reading the dis boards and came across this thread by accident. I am glad to know, though, because I will be extra carefull about inspecting my new room before I even enter with my luggage. I will let the staff know that I am aware of bb in wdw, and that I will be inspecting with a flashlight the undersides of all the matresses, the dressers, etc. I also will ask for another luggage rack to ensure my bags will not be on the floor - and I will encase all my things with plastic. I am also going to bring large garbage bags to put all my luggage encased in on my trip home (we are driving..don't want my van to get the bugs either.)
BB are not something you want to bring home with you, and extermintors are extremely extremely expensive!! So, again, call them....I did, and I was glad I did!!

All hotels can have bed bugs, I think if you are that concerned you should just stay home, that's a lot of stuff to deal with while your supposed to be on "vacation"..... and I was just at POFQ last week, we checked our bed and did not have any problems. I don't think everyone needs to get so worked up about it. Just my opinion...

One of the biggest problems facing the hospitality industry is bed bugs. It is not just a problem at Disney, Orlando, Florida, or the south, but the entire United States. The U.S. has passed new laws banning the stronger pesticides that used to rid us of bed bugs. Now, the bed bugs are being treated with weaker pesticides that they have become immune to.

Disney is, i'm sure, doing everything they can, but the whole matter is at a stand still of sorts. Universities such as Texas A&M and Arkansas are trying to study the bed bugs and figure out a way to solve this crisis.

This isn't an easy fix so try not to be so hard on the hotels you stay with.

There are premium rooms at Port Orleans(Water View).:)

That did later occur to me! I didn't think of waterview because that's something we personally would never consider booking.

learninghome, I don't want you to falsely feel "safe" from bedbugs when you could come across them in ANY room at any hotel. Even waterview. ;) It's a good idea to check for them when you check in, but I wouldn't obsess about it because there's not a lot you can do. Be aware but don't waste your vacation worrying about them. I've stayed at both POFQ and POR (2007 and 2009) with no problems and I hope you come back with glowing reviews.

Calling in advance to prevent something that is most likely not an issue seems a silly approach to me. I've stayed probably 125-150 nights in Disney resorts and never had a bed bug issue, including the ~40 days we were there in 2008 and 2009. If you get there and investigate and there seems to be an issue, that's the time to address it.

Also, asking to be put in a room that has not had bed bugs is:
1 - highly unlikely to be a way to prevent it (even if they did manage to put you in a room that never been reported as having them) since between today and the day you show up - even if it's like 2 days from now - some problem could occur
2 - unlikely to happen anyway no matter what the CM on the phone told you and I think you have false hopes if you put much stock in that.

If I was going to go to that length I'd probably ask for a room that already had them and had been treated for them! That's probably a better bet for prevention than asking for a room that never had any.

I think ranting and raving before you even get there -- based on a few posts on a message board is just over the top. And none of it has anything to do with the price you pay for the room -- as others have said, it happens everywhere, even at the most expensive hotels. Yes, Disney has had bed bugs reported in many of their resorts (most likely a teeny tiny fraction of the total rooms). And when they confirm it is true, they actually take great measures to fix the problem from everything I've read.

As for the earlier poster who said they were bitten, but their child who slept in the same bed did not, it actually sounds more like Golfer's Vasculitis or Polymorphic Light Eruption which are actually quite common while touring Disneyworld.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1369601&referrerid=93883

Well, I guess that's my own rant for the evening.

My family and extended family stayed at POR two weeks ago. Because I am insane about germs and bugs, first thing I did when we entered the room was strip the bed and checked all mattresses - they were all clean - both rooms. I did spray the beds with lysol, left the beds to dry and remade the beds myself when we got back to the rooms later that night. I am a germaphobic and was very impressed by the cleaniness of the rooms we stayed in.

I'm curious - when you worked as mousekeeping - was there any instruction given to look for bed bugs - did the management tell you to watch for them?

We were told to look for little spots that looks like blood. And if we did call management immediately. We were also told to leave any linens we took into the room, and keep them there. Don't take them outside the room. and they would come with gloves and a biohazard bag and make sure that stuff was taken care of immediately.

Okay--Let's See:

15-21 Nights Per Year
18+ Years
270-378 Nights in WDW Resorts

All Star Movies, Music, Sports
POFQ, POR, CBR
VWL, AKV, SSR, OKW, BCV, BWV
Disney Inn (Now Shades of Green)
Contemporary, Dolphin

3 Disney Cruises

Bed Bugs Encountered: 0

You really need to relax. If it happens, deal with it. There is no reason to get all in a tizzy regarding something you have no control over right now.

I am done with this subject. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My initial reaction was mostly of surprise and horror. I will do my best to pre-check my room. I have been speaking with many disney vetrans who were equally as shocked as me when I spoke of bb. So, even though I am a clean freak bugaphob..I know they were surprised to hear of it as well. I am not in the wrong to expect to have a clean, bug free, safe hotel. I won't defend any hotel on that case!
Disney is bound by law to correct any issues concerning public health.
Enjoy!!!
:rolleyes:

I am so paranoid about these things because they are becoming so prevalent all over the world....that I check all of the beds as soon as we arrive. I've decided that if I do see any spots, I'm whipping out my digital camera. This way if I have to asked to be moved to another room (or cabin as we cruise alot), I have proof in my hand of what the mattress looks like.

No good hotel or cruise ship should ever ignore a complaint about bed bugs, they can be in even the finest hotels..including Disney! Besides a nasty rash, they can lead to a bad infection if not treated right away and properly.

ALWAYS check your beds where ever you are sleeping at:thumbsup2 Thanks for posting this reminder JimmyJr'sMom and I'm sorry you had to experience these things first hand. :(

You should be paranoid! Eradication of bedbugs in your home is very expensive, inconvenient, and icky.

I am done with this subject. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. My initial reaction was mostly of surprise and horror. I will do my best to pre-check my room. I have been speaking with many disney vetrans who were equally as shocked as me when I spoke of bb. So, even though I am a clean freak bugaphob..I know they were surprised to hear of it as well. I am not in the wrong to expect to have a clean, bug free, safe hotel. I won't defend any hotel on that case!
Disney is bound by law to correct any issues concerning public health.
Enjoy!!!
:rolleyes:

Any hotel, even a Disney one, can have bedbugs. They are NOT a reflection on how clean the resort is. Bedbugs are coming back because the chemical that used to be used to kill them has now been banned.

I have no idea what good calling in advance will do. It is not like they will put tape around a room and not rent it until you arrive. They don't have rooms designated as 100% bedbug free. Disney can only do the best they can do, but there is no way to prevent the little buggers from coming in. They can only deal with them once a problem has been reported.

Upgrading you to a differnent room guarantees nothing. It is not like the bugs stay away from the water view rooms. You just need to check for them before you put anything in your room, including your luggage. That is how most of them get around, they stow away in luggage and ride around.

Just wanted to add-

Of the three rooms we had (there for a wedding) only 1 bed in one room had bedbugs. Everyone else thought I was nuts or had a rash.:confused3

I wore long pants and long sleeves to bed and tucked my pajama pants into my socks.:headache::mad:
I will make sure from now on- anywhere we go- that I have long pajamas or footed pajamas for myself and my son.:eek:

It took almost two weeks for the welts to go away. They were very painful and itchy. After we got home- I scratched them raw at night.:sick:

We were in Bldng 5- second floor at French Quarter... kind of facing the pool...I wish I could remember the exact room to spare someone else!

We were in Bldng 5- second floor at French Quarter... kind of facing the pool...I wish I could remember the exact room to spare someone else!

Did you bring it to the front desk's attention while you were there? If you reported it then hopefully the room was inspected.

I agree that any hotel can have bedbugs, that's just the chance you take.

Joe Smith (fake name) can stay in a room with bedbugs that he picked up elsewhere in his luggage or clothing. Then he ends up spreading them to a room in the new resort. They aren't immediately apparent so short of fumigating each room after each stay, there's nothing a hotel can do.

I feel blessed that we've never had this problem.

We are going Sat. to POFQ so this does worry me! But, aside from looking for small blood spots on the bed or sheets(do we really need to take the entire bed apart and take the heavy mattress off the bed, the box spring, etc? not sure I can do that), how do we find them elsewhere in the room? We've always stayed at CBR and I don't remember luggage racks, but a bench that we used or I usually put mine on the floor in the vanity area, or DD19 puts in the corner by her bed. How do we see them on the tile floor or the bench or carpets? It does seem like a lot to have to crawl around on the floor and inspect every inch of the room and the walls, curtains, etc. I mean I'm on vacation and paid plenty for my room for the week to then inspect every little spot, and who's to say it's not just dirty? I've seen plenty of dirty spots in my rooms before. Find a spot and I could be stuck there for hours, taking up most of my day waiting for someone to come check things, etc.. Obviously I don't want bb's but what to do, and I'm not an expert at finding or knowing bedbugs if I were to see them. Yikes, it always something!! :scared1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter