Anyone else experience bedbugs at POFQ?

JimmyJr'sMom

Mouseketeer
We were there from 12/13 until 12/16 in building 5.:eek::eek: Strangely enough- they were only in one of the two beds-?:confused3

We've stayed here before and never had a problem. Planning to go back to WDW in November 2010 and would like to stay at POFQ but we are nervous.

Anyone else had any experiences?:confused:

I work at a Marriott and the company is finding bed bugs are being a growing problem!! Anyone who reads this you should always check the mattress before crawling into bed. You want to look for small black spots on the mattress, those are blood spots. They like to hide in the corner where the fabric is folded over. If you find that your mattress is covered in some sort of bag then it has most likly already been treated once before for bed bugs

I know my room had them at the POR. And it was in only one of the beds, too. At some point during the second to last night I became aware that my feet were very itchy and then when I woke up, I little red welts all over my feet, ankles and lower legs. I found it wierd that it only happened at the end of our vacation, so I didn't say anything and then it happened again the last night. It didn't seem to bother my daughter who was in bed (but she was only 5 so her feet didn't go down as far as mine) with me and my husband was in the other bed and he didn't have any issues. I took pictures of my feet and ankles and you can clearly see that something was biting me. We let them know and they really acted like they didn't believe me. They did nothing but reimburse me for a $8 tube of itch cream from the gift shop. Handled extremely poorly in my opinion. I really just wanted them to care. It was last February so when we got home, we left all our luggage in the freezing garage for a couple weeks and washed everything in hot water. We're going again in a couple weeks to the GF and really hope to not have any issues or I may not want to ever give them another shot, and that would be sad, but it's just not worth the risk of bringing something like that home.

Any hotel anywhere can have bed bugs, to avoid them completely you would have to not travel again.

Do as Mindy suggested and check your room when you arrive.

I am so paranoid about these things because they are becoming so prevalent all over the world....that I check all of the beds as soon as we arrive. I've decided that if I do see any spots, I'm whipping out my digital camera. This way if I have to asked to be moved to another room (or cabin as we cruise alot), I have proof in my hand of what the mattress looks like.

No good hotel or cruise ship should ever ignore a complaint about bed bugs, they can be in even the finest hotels..including Disney! Besides a nasty rash, they can lead to a bad infection if not treated right away and properly.

ALWAYS check your beds where ever you are sleeping at:thumbsup2 Thanks for posting this reminder JimmyJr'sMom and I'm sorry you had to experience these things first hand. :(

I'm so sorry you experienced this. That is probably the one thing I fear most when traveling.

I did check the beds this last trip and kept the luggage off the floor (asked for extra luggage rack) AND kept everything in sealed plastic bags.

It's really annoying that we are seeing a resurgence of this - it kinda makes traveling a little less fun.

we had to close down many buildings when i did my college program. I worked Housekeeping in building 3, during the 5 months i was there they close building 2, 3, 5, and 7 twice.

And when i got back home, the hotel i worked at we had to close off a few rooms.

It happens anywhere.

we returned in october from our first family trip and a scare at asmovies as well. i checked everything before sleeping the first ntie as i do in every hotel and saw nothing. the next am we noticed nothing, went to the parks came home theni noticed spots on our beds- so i called the front desk. at first they werent really happy to deal with it and said theyd send new linens! so we stripped our bed and did as they said tossign the sheets outside. they never offered at the desk to do a check. when the dea cm came to gather the old ones- she asked what had happened i told her and she said oh! do you want us to get it checked out? god love her! if it hadnt been for her i never would of slept that week!

we had a wonderful gentleman who has been a cm for 30 yrs come do a manual check first. he was great and we spent the better part of an hr talking to him at 1 amish. he did a quick sweep and came up with nothing. his official bedbug checker was leaving the gf and was on his way. he came in with and was very professional. he fl;ipped the matress, looked at the walls, floor, bedtables etc. you name it. of course the offending sheets were now gone. but he came up with nothing, so he cleared our room. by now it was after 2 adn we were exhausgted. their simple explanation was more than likely dirt from the sheets being on the racks outside. the spots/dirt on the sheets moved and was not in the sheets.

it made me feel much better to have them check it over tho! i learned that they have huge units to put all our itmes in and heat them up so the bugs will die, and that they changed sheets/bedding every 4 days.

he also told me one family had them and wouldnt report it. he had to call the airlines they were leaving from to tell them so others luggaGE woulndt be infested.

we had to close down many buildings when i did my college program. I worked Housekeeping in building 3, during the 5 months i was there they close building 2, 3, 5, and 7 twice.

And when i got back home, the hotel i worked at we had to close off a few rooms.

It happens anywhere.

I'm curious - when you worked as mousekeeping - was there any instruction given to look for bed bugs - did the management tell you to watch for them?

Yikes!!:confused3 I wish I NEVER read this post!! I am due to stay at por with my family of 5 next wed.! We were planning on my son using the trundle bed, since we are a family of five. You know, I can't be like some people who just shrug their shoulders and say this can happen anywhere, yada yada yada! You know, when you are PAYING a small fortune to have a nice vacation for a family of five and the fact that my tiny 12 year old is considered a disney adult so that they can extract more money from us, with ALL the money that WDW rakes in - I would expect - yes - EXPECT their to NOT be a bed bug problem. I am calling the hotel right now. I want to talk to a cm to find out what this is all about. I am sorry, but I am furious to think that now I have to worry about bed bugs. That is one guest I would rather not have follow me back to my home!!! Yuck, yuck and triple yuck! Perhaps if people EXPECTED more from the hotels, the bed bug problem would be of UTMOST concern! You should be outraged! I didn't love the idea of all the money we spend at wdw - but, I sucked it up simply because I THOUGHT that disney was top notch....you got what you paid for, etc....well, I am not PAYING for bedbugs!
Oh well, sorry about all that ranting - I am just not gonna have a bed bug near me! :sick:

Yikes!!:confused3 I wish I NEVER read this post!! I am due to stay at por with my family of 5 next wed.! We were planning on my son using the trundle bed, since we are a family of five. You know, I can't be like some people who just shrug their shoulders and say this can happen anywhere, yada yada yada! You know, when you are PAYING a small fortune to have a nice vacation for a family of five and the fact that my tiny 12 year old is considered a disney adult so that they can extract more money from us, with ALL the money that WDW rakes in - I would expect - yes - EXPECT their to NOT be a bed bug problem. I am calling the hotel right now. I want to talk to a cm to find out what this is all about. I am sorry, but I am furious to think that now I have to worry about bed bugs. That is one guest I would rather not have follow me back to my home!!! Yuck, yuck and triple yuck! Perhaps if people EXPECTED more from the hotels, the bed bug problem would be of UTMOST concern! You should be outraged! I didn't love the idea of all the money we spend at wdw - but, I sucked it up simply because I THOUGHT that disney was top notch....you got what you paid for, etc....well, I am not PAYING for bedbugs!
Oh well, sorry about all that ranting - I am just not gonna have a bed bug near me! :sick:

Unfortunately, this does happen all over the world and at the best of hotels...it is not strictly a Disney problem.

You can call, but you will NOT be talking to anyone directly at the POR. You will get the central reservation office and, although they will possibly answer "POR", they are not in fact at POR. And, unfortunately, they are not always the most knowledgable people at Disney nor do they have all the information everyone thinks they do (someone called yesterday about the pool being closed at the CSR and they told the person to "get off the computer and that the pool was not closed" when in fact several upcoming guests have receiving letters indicating the pool will be closed mid-January through the end of January).

Well, I DID just call. I spoke with one lady first who directed me to another. I basically said "I was just made aware that your hotel has a problem with bed bugs. Is this true, I need to know!!" She answered "yes, our hotel has had problems with bb. She then proceeded to tell me that they emptly the rooms furniture, clean it out and replace it with new furniture...." We had quite a long conversation, and I was upgraded and hopefully will not have to stay in a room that was "previously" infected. Now, that was not my intention, I am not the type who is always trying to milk something to get something free - heck, I don't even take things back to the store because I can't be bothered! But, this DOES bother me. Again, world spread problem or not - Disney ought to work as hard as possible to work on ridding its hotel with Bed Bugs!!! Especially since this is one of the few places that accomodates a family of five!!!!!

Well, I DID just call. I spoke with one lady first who directed me to another. I basically said "I was just made aware that your hotel has a problem with bed bugs. Is this true, I need to know!!" She answered "yes, our hotel has had problems with bb. She then proceeded to tell me that they emptly the rooms furniture, clean it out and replace it with new furniture...." We had quite a long conversation, and I was upgraded and hopefully will not have to stay in a room that was "previously" infected. Now, that was not my intention, I am not the type who is always trying to milk something to get something free - heck, I don't even take things back to the store because I can't be bothered! But, this DOES bother me. Again, world spread problem or not - Disney ought to work as hard as possible to work on ridding its hotel with Bed Bugs!!! Especially since this is one of the few places that accomodates a family of five!!!!!

The thing is, they can't rid the room of bed bugs until it has bed bugs. You can't exactly spray something to prevent them. You can only treat the situation after the fact.

And unfortunately, it is the customer who brings the bugs TO Disney. I appreciate your feelings about bb. I feel the same way but in no way is Disney at fault here. They can only do what the STATE/GOVT. allows them to do. We banned the one thing that erradicates bb so in return we WILL see a resergence of bedbugs.

Hello, just curious how they upgraded you ..i too am staying at PORFQ soon in March and am extremely nervous...I am not looking for anything free but I do agree it is not a cheap place to visit and I just want to be able to sleep in peace and cleanliness for my 7 night duration !!!!

thanks

I would just HIGHLY suggest that you too call asap and tell them that you have been made aware that this hotel has a problem (and I do say problem, b/c it is not isolated to just one room....) regarding bb...and, be persistent and see what happens. Again, this was never my intention. I was just innocenlty reading the dis boards and came across this thread by accident. I am glad to know, though, because I will be extra carefull about inspecting my new room before I even enter with my luggage. I will let the staff know that I am aware of bb in wdw, and that I will be inspecting with a flashlight the undersides of all the matresses, the dressers, etc. I also will ask for another luggage rack to ensure my bags will not be on the floor - and I will encase all my things with plastic. I am also going to bring large garbage bags to put all my luggage encased in on my trip home (we are driving..don't want my van to get the bugs either.)
BB are not something you want to bring home with you, and extermintors are extremely extremely expensive!! So, again, call them....I did, and I was glad I did!!

I would just HIGHLY suggest that you too call asap and tell them that you have been made aware that this hotel has a problem (and I do say problem, b/c it is not isolated to just one room....) regarding bb...and, be persistent and see what happens. Again, this was never my intention. I was just innocenlty reading the dis boards and came across this thread by accident. I am glad to know, though, because I will be extra carefull about inspecting my new room before I even enter with my luggage. I will let the staff know that I am aware of bb in wdw, and that I will be inspecting with a flashlight the undersides of all the matresses, the dressers, etc. I also will ask for another luggage rack to ensure my bags will not be on the floor - and I will encase all my things with plastic. I am also going to bring large garbage bags to put all my luggage encased in on my trip home (we are driving..don't want my van to get the bugs either.)
BB are not something you want to bring home with you, and extermintors are extremely extremely expensive!! So, again, call them....I did, and I was glad I did!!

I totally understand your fear and concern - I don't think anyone would want to encounter these things. I did want to point out though, that just because they upgraded your room does not mean that you will not encounter them. If there is a widespread issue at POFQ, there are probably many rooms affected as they do know how to crawl under walls and such.

I think it would be wise of you to take the precautions you have indicated - it may be a bit of hassle during your stay, but I'm sure it will be well worth it for you.

Thank you TINKBYDAY!!:) I totally understand that.....when I was talking to the CM, at first she asked me "what Can I do for you...." I was like - just give me a bug free room please LOL!:lmao: I mean, I was really looking forward to staying at POR...I have been planning this thing for month's...
I guess I was just taken by surprise this morning when I read this post, b/c as I have been trying so hard (like many of us do) to plan and prepare things so that I can have the best chance of having a nice vacation, I DID not include the possibility of BB in my plans....honestly, it shocked me! So, on an impulse, I called the hotel and voiced my concerns (well, I voiced them loudly I guess:idea:) and the CM I spoke with was very honest, and interested in making me feel at ease and happy.....so, again, I have been made aware of a situation, and I can plan accordingly....

I will be peeking under those sheets FOR SURE!!!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter