Anyone do Coral World in St. Thomas on their own?

shaycamp21

DIS Veteran
The DCL excursion seems rather pricey and was wondering if we could just take a cab there to explore on our own and maybe do Coki Beach after? Anyone do this outside of DCL or even with another tour company (we are doing Bernards Tours in St. Maarten).?

The DCL excursion seems rather pricey and was wondering if we could just take a cab there to explore on our own and maybe do Coki Beach after? Anyone do this outside of DCL or even with another tour company (we are doing Bernards Tours in St. Maarten).?

We have taken a cab to Coki beach many times....just get off the ship head down the pier to the shop/cab area and you are off to the beach( it is a flat rate per person to get there and back.

Totally easy on your own. Hop in a cab and tell them you want to go to CW. Rates are pre-set per person. At CW, you will get a wrist band allowing you to go in and out all day (so you can use the restrooms or snack bar if you go to the beach). There are sometimes discount coupons on their web site and/or in the tourist magazine at the port.

We did, and here is our experience...

Getting a taxi, no problem although our driver got in a fight with another driver right before he took of and was driving angry. It was kind of scary, we were in one of those safari-type vehicles where you can't talk to the driver. The way back we had a better driver. It was $28 for the 3 of us to get there and he did not get a tip as we were thankful just to have lived through the ride!

Coral world was so lame, in our opinion. If you have ever been to any aquarium this will be a disappointment. It was dirty and we discovered so many more fish snorkeling. There were iguanas and wild chickens roaming everywhere, but this is throughout all of St Thomas. They had a little sea lion show and the trainers were so rude, yelling at babies and little kids for making minimal noise.

Coki beach, however was beautiful! We wish we had the 2 hours we wasted at Coral world for more snorkeling and beach time. The fish were awesome, and it was only $10 to rent equipment. Had a nice rum punch on the beach. We did use the bathroom facilities at coral world but they had them on the beach too.

If I could go back, I would skip Coral World and just go to the beach. Have fun, whatever you choose!

We did, and here is our experience...

Getting a taxi, no problem although our driver got in a fight with another driver right before he took of and was driving angry. It was kind of scary, we were in one of those safari-type vehicles where you can't talk to the driver. The way back we had a better driver. It was $28 for the 3 of us to get there and he did not get a tip as we were thankful just to have lived through the ride!

Coral world was so lame, in our opinion. If you have ever been to any aquarium this will be a disappointment. It was dirty and we discovered so many more fish snorkeling. There were iguanas and wild chickens roaming everywhere, but this is throughout all of St Thomas. They had a little sea lion show and the trainers were so rude, yelling at babies and little kids for making minimal noise.

Coki beach, however was beautiful! We wish we had the 2 hours we wasted at Coral world for more snorkeling and beach time. The fish were awesome, and it was only $10 to rent equipment. Had a nice rum punch on the beach. We did use the bathroom facilities at coral world but they had them on the beach too.

If I could go back, I would skip Coral World and just go to the beach. Have fun, whatever you choose!
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with CW.

I would like to offer the OP a differing opinion. We had a good time there but that being said, it is a small place. Do not plan on spending a lot of time. If you have older children, I would plan to do one of their events. We purposely went to do the sea lion swim with my daughter (9 at the time). We had an amazing time and was well worth the money and the time. This trip we are doing the sea turtle swim.
CW has a nice bathroom and changing area. They allow access in and out from the beach next door. And the food concession stand was not out of line price wise.
Do not go to CW thinking it's the equivalent to a huge US based aquarium as you will be disappointed. It is a small island and the aquarium follow suits. We loved seeing the iguanas all over. My DD, even at 9, enjoyed feeling the stingrays.
It's all what you make it. Just do your research to make sure you know what you're getting.

Enjoy the cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!