Anybody Going to See "The Who"?

Very cool, Squirlz - thanks for posting! We are sitting in the wheelchair accessible area, which is not all that close to the stage, but that's probably a good thing since hubby has pretty bad tinnitis (like Pete) and doesn't need to do anymore damage to his ears.

However, we are attending a pre-concert dinner in the "Patron Platinum Club", and we're hoping that some members of the band will make an appearance. Of course, we'll be in Nashville, so who knows who might show up for that. Unfortunately, we won't recognize any of the country music celebs, since we don't listen to that genre. The only country music singers I would recognize are no longer with us, like Johnny Cash and Hank Williams. We'll probably be sitting right next to some famous country singer and won't even know it. Oh well, it will be a nice break from fame for them. :lmao:

Thanks, Squirlz - great videos! I'm happy to see that Pete's still got some of the old moves - the "windmill arm" is still in fine form.

I hope we get "Won't Get Fooled Again" in Nashville! I'm a little worried that Roger's voice won't hold out for it and they'll have to omit that song or maybe "Baba O'Riley". I'm keeping my fingers crossed! There's no way they could play everything that I want to hear, but I hope we can get the "anthems".

By the way, that guy looks just like Rod!

I can't wait! :woohoo:

He did seem to be saving his voice for that final climactic scream. He was drinking tea throughout the sound check and concert too.

Hi Squirlz, I will post a full report on the concert after we get back from our trip. We leave tomorrow afternoon to head to Nashville (about 400 miles away).

We have been preparing for the concert by educating our 15 year old daughter, who is going with us, on the history of The Who and their music, the mod scene, etc. We got a documentary from Netflix titled something like "The Who, Mods, and the Quadrophenia Connection" that really delved into this little piece of cultural history.

The themes of Quadrophenia are very relevant to her stage of life - the role of peer groups, the significance of clothes and fads, relationships, the desire to fit in, etc. Although Pete focused on the mod scene since it was his frame of reference as a young man, these themes are pertinent and applicable in any era. It has already spawned some good discussions around here.

Please excuse my nerdishness - as you can see, I'm very enthusiastic. :)

Hi DIS friends, as promised, here is my review of the concert. If you read ticketmaster reviews, it may sound familiar...I posted basically the same thing there too. :)

My, my, my...what a concert. It was absolutely brilliant. The Who played Quadrophenia in its entirety, followed by five of their most popular songs – “Who Are You”, “Behind Blue Eyes”, “Pinball Wizard”, “Baba O'Riley”, and “Won't Get Fooled Again”. They concluded by playing "Tea & Theatre", which is a very moving song about the journey the band has taken and the achievements and losses they have experienced.

They opened Quadrophenia with a film montage of the post-WWII events in the UK (such as rationing and the coronation of Queen Elizabeth) leading up to the early 1960's, when mod culture, which is the background of the story, burst on the scene in England.

Toward the end of Quadrophenia, as the story (or rock opera, whichever you prefer) reaches its pinnacle and conclusion with the astoundingly beautiful "Love Reign O'er Me", they showed another film montage, displaying events in both the UK and the US from the time in which the story is set to today, such as the assassination of Kennedy, the death of Princess Diana, 9/11, and Hurricane Katrina. It was profound and beyond moving. It was an emotional and stirring retrospective of "our times" - the baby boomers' times - my world, that of the band, and most of the audience. The combination of these scenes and the haunting music moved me and many of those around me to tears. I will never forget it.

Pete and Roger were both in fine form and the sound quality was excellent - no distortion, clear as a bell and not too loud.

Pete Townsend is a musical genius. Leave it to him to create something of such magnificent profundity - delving into the human condition with piercing and unforgettable beauty and insight. Congratulations to Pete, Roger, and the rest of their band and crew on another amazing achievement.

Thanks for that terrific review Dizcrazee! Makes me wish I was going to see them this tour. The 12-12-12 appearance will be as close as I can get this time. :)

Hi DIS friends, as promised, here is my review of the concert. If you read ticketmaster reviews, it may sound familiar...I posted basically the same thing there too. :)

My, my, my...what a concert. It was absolutely brilliant. The Who played Quadrophenia in its entirety, followed by five of their most popular songs – “Who Are You”, “Behind Blue Eyes”, “Pinball Wizard”, “Baba O'Riley”, and “Won't Get Fooled Again”. They concluded by playing "Tea & Theatre", which is a very moving song about the journey the band has taken and the achievements and losses they have experienced.

They opened Quadrophenia with a film montage of the post-WWII events in the UK (such as rationing and the coronation of Queen Elizabeth) leading up to the early 1960's, when mod culture, which is the background of the story, burst on the scene in England.

Toward the end of Quadrophenia, as the story (or rock opera, whichever you prefer) reaches its pinnacle and conclusion with the astoundingly beautiful "Love Reign O'er Me", they showed another film montage, displaying events in both the UK and the US from the time in which the story is set to today, such as the assassination of Kennedy, the death of Princess Diana, 9/11, and Hurricane Katrina. It was profound and beyond moving. It was an emotional and stirring retrospective of "our times" - the baby boomers' times - my world, that of the band, and most of the audience. The combination of these scenes and the haunting music moved me and many of those around me to tears. I will never forget it.

Pete and Roger were both in fine form and the sound quality was excellent - no distortion, clear as a bell and not too loud.

Pete Townsend is a musical genius. Leave it to him to create something of such magnificent profundity - delving into the human condition with piercing and unforgettable beauty and insight. Congratulations to Pete, Roger, and the rest of their band and crew on another amazing achievement.
The exact same show as we saw. Fantastic, no?

Yes, definitely fantastic! :thumbsup2

To those who are planning to go to the concert...if you are somewhat unfamiliar with Quadrophenia, you may want to consider watching the movie first. They have it at itunes - you can rent it to watch on your computer for just a few dollars. I believe it is also on Youtube. It will help you to understand the story that is told in the songs. Be prepared, though - it has a few scenes that may not be appropriate for minors.

Have fun and enjoy the concert! :wave2:

I was at the Nashville concert. I am sort of a casual fan of The Who. I only own one album, I have never seen them live before, and I really only went because my son loves a few of their songs and so we took him as a birthday gift. I was completely unfamiliar with Quadrophenia before the concert. I had never even heard most of the songs before and hadn't known the movie existed before I heard about this tour. I was a little concerned about that, to be honest, since I typically don't love concerts where I don't already know and like most of the music. I meant to familiarize myself with it before we went but somehow the time got away from me and I didn't manage it.

I loved every minute of the concert! They were incredible in person. I would absolutely go see them again if given the chance. They put on a great show and sounded amazing. At some concerts, the groups just really seem to be going through the motions but that wasn't the case for The Who. They really seemed to love what they were doing, and they seemed grateful to their fans for being there. It's easy to see why they have stayed so popular for all this time.

I was even pleasantly surprised by the opening act. At many concerts I count the minutes until the opening act is finished but Vintage Trouble was really good and I would actually go see them again, too.

That's great, Scurvy - I'm delighted that you enjoyed it too. Isn't Bridgestone Arena wonderful? I've been to quite a few large concert venues over the years, and Bridgestone in Nashville is at the top of the list. It's got great acoustics, it's super clean, and there are courteous attendants everywhere you look. Maybe it's because they have the Country Music Awards there, so they put a lot of money into its upkeep and maintenance.

By the way, did you happen to notice the incident where a member of the audience in front of the stage looked like he tried to give or show Roger something? Roger took a step forward, then he backed up and laughingly said something like "No thanks, I don't roll like that". Could you tell what was going on? I couldn't figure it out. Very curious!

I really dug Vintage Trouble too. Hadn't heard of them until a couple weeks before the show. Checked them out and was really impressed! I found them on Facebook and exchanged messages. I wish they could have played longer.

And I forgot to tell you Roger spoke to my Wife! She has a lot of ink and her left arm has lots of flowers on it, right where you would see them from the stage when she raised her arms. Roger was at the edge of the stage, looked down and said "You're so colorful, like my garden in the Spring". How cool is that!

That's great, Scurvy - I'm delighted that you enjoyed it too. Isn't Bridgestone Arena wonderful? I've been to quite a few large concert venues over the years, and Bridgestone in Nashville is at the top of the list. It's got great acoustics, it's super clean, and there are courteous attendants everywhere you look. Maybe it's because they have the Country Music Awards there, so they put a lot of money into its upkeep and maintenance.

By the way, did you happen to notice the incident where a member of the audience in front of the stage looked like he tried to give or show Roger something? Roger took a step forward, then he backed up and laughingly said something like "No thanks, I don't roll like that". Could you tell what was going on? I couldn't figure it out. Very curious!

I love Bridgestone! We tend to go to more concerts there than anywhere else since it seems to be the closet stop for most major tours. I'm always impressed by how good everything sounds there. And you're right, it's always so clean and new looking. I really like it.

I did not catch what they tried to give him or what they said, but I do know the incident you are talking about. I thought he said something like "I don't swing that way. Sorry, man!" so I was assuming a guy was hitting on him but I don't know exactly what was going on. He seemed nice about it though.

At our show Pete was having some trouble with his guitar and was clearly agitated. Somebody up front was waving a picture and a pen for an autograph. Pete says "I'm having trouble with my sound and you want a bleeping autograph?!?"

Then after the show he waved an assistant up on stage, spoke to him and pointed into the crowd. The assistant went down and got the guy's picture and brought it up for Pete to sign. It was a nice gesture.

Just wanted to chime-in again to say how much I enjoy seeing so much enthusiasm for these guys on the Dis.:thumbsup2 I'm not to the level of fandom that some of you are here, but there is no doubt that The Who are among the greatest of the greats. There's a reason artists like this still fill arenas after all these years.

Please continue with the reviews. I'm loving all of them.:)

I thought he said something like "I don't swing that way. Sorry, man!" so I was assuming a guy was hitting on him but I don't know exactly what was going on. He seemed nice about it though.

That's it, Scurvy! I couldn't remember his exact comments. I thought he responded nicely too - he just kind of laughed it off and let it go without humiliating the person.

Squirlz, that was a nice gesture on Pete's part. He was very nice to the audience in Nashville too. They were both very personable.

Micca, I'm so glad you have enjoyed the reviews and comments, and I am looking forward to hearing reports from the upcoming concerts as well.

:wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts