Anybody done a recent kitchen remodel?

Yeah our counters are 36 as well changed all the bathroom vanities to that height too I think. It’s weird to go to in-laws and the sinks are so low.

A question for the group, how high are your counters?

Our builder gave us a few options but said 36" tall was the most popular and his personal choice. We went with 36."

despite what your builder or installer says-check your county code. some places have hard written rules in the height. the guy who did our kitchen and a few years later our bathrooms was chatting with us during one of the installs and one of those 'one day, counter top transformation' commercials came on the tv. he laughed and mentioned that during peak real estate season he gets a number of calls a month to come in and tear out those counters along with the original counters underneath. seems those over mount counters bring the height up just enough to violate county code and a well trained home inspector will catch it and report it to the potential buyer.

the COOLEST counter tops i ever saw were designed for a community in california geared to aging up. there were areas in the kitchen and bathroom that had no cabinetry under some sections b/c they were installed with hydraulics so that if a person ended up in a wheelchair they would have work stations at the appropriate height. that's some good advance planning.

p/s if you can have the shelves in your cabinets butt back and half inch or so from the edge of the frame it can allow enough space to put very inexpensive pot and pan lid holds on the interior doors. i have these and love them-also got one that holds all my largest plastic bowl lids and a couple of hooks to hold splatter screens.

We redid our kitchen several years ago. And it is a small gslley kitchen. Things I love

48 inch tall cabinets. Lots of space even though I need a small kitchen ladder to get to the top shelf

double ovens…how do people live without them?
double doors above ovens with vertical dividrrs for bsking trays etc
and a big thin drawer underneath ovens which is perfect for long utensils

pull out shelves…the only thing better would be shelves that lifted

appliance garage built into a corner…might be out of fashion but is an excellent use of odd space. Ours has an electrical outlet in it and holds my blender, kitchen aid mixer, food processor.

in thst same corner on the bottom is a lazy susan with two shelves…great space for Tupperware, baking dishes etc

five burner cooktop with high BTUs…underneath the cooktop is perfect storage for pet food, kitty litter, etc

spice drawer

pantry

deep drawers on one side that hold towels etc

the best appliances you can afford

shelf above the countertop for microwave

things I wish were different..

our granite countertop is getting old…I’d like to replace

we have double sinks…wish we had one big sink

heated floors would be great
Yes, definitely go with cabinets to the ceiling -- even if the top shelf is too high to reach easily, you can store seldom-used items up top. Consider, too, if your upper cabinets are extra-tall, order an extra shelf or two (assuming adjustable shelves).

I don't see any need for duplicate ovens -- and I bake wedding cakes. Similarly, I have five burners and have literally never used them all at once.

Yeah, you can't have doors that lift, but you can have upper shelves that lower to your level: https://www.amazon.com/HDHR-Cabinet...binet+pull+down+shelf+rod,aps,109&sr=8-5&th=1

Yes, a pantry is the best single thing you can have in a kitchen. I much prefer a small kitchen (with upscale materials and easy to keep clean) and a large adjacent pantry. The pantry allows you to see everything at a glance, and it's so much cheaper than cabinets /counter tops. In a perfect world, you'd have a walk-in pantry with a shelf for your appliances -- and outlets so you can leave some of them plugged in all the time.

You can have granite refinished, can't you? I don't know what it costs.
Everyone seems to like the one sink but I like my 2 . Sometimes I have something soaking on one side or when I do hand wash I just stack the dishes in the other sink to dry.
You can always put a plastic dishpan into your large sink to turn it into a double sink ... but you can't remove the divider to make it easier to wash large pots and sheet pans.
I find pot fillers to be one of the most useless things one could spend money on. First of all, how many pots does one need to fill? Then, once the post is filled and placed, how is it removed, assuming it was filled there because it’d be too heavy? Then there’s the matter of cleaning the damn thing every time you use the stovetop.
A pot filler is a great thing! Not a total game changer, but a nice addition. It's not just for filling big pasta pots:
- Say you're making iced tea, which we Southerners do at least every other day. You can fill the pot right at the stove.
- Say you're making soup, and you realize you need more water -- do it right at the stove.
- Say you're making sauce or gravy, and you need a bit more water -- you can add more water without leaving the stove /stopping stirring.
- Say you've finished cooking something, and you want to leave the pot to soak -- no need to move it to the sink. Just fill it and leave it on the stove.

despite what your builder or installer says-check your county code. some places have hard written rules in the height. the guy who did our kitchen and a few years later our bathrooms was chatting with us during one of the installs and one of those 'one day, counter top transformation' commercials came on the tv. he laughed and mentioned that during peak real estate season he gets a number of calls a month to come in and tear out those counters along with the original counters underneath. seems those over mount counters bring the height up just enough to violate county code and a well trained home inspector will catch it and report it to the potential buyer.
And at times two different code inspectors will have different opinions on what the code is. All they cared about during our 2013-14 bathroom and kitchen remodels was that we had smoke detectors in each bedroom and a Carbon Monoxide detector. Years ago when we added on, one inspector said we needed a 9" gap between the wood siding and any soil. The existing house was build with a 6" gap so it wouldn;'t match the house. Different inspector did the final, and didn't have any issue with the gap.
And that is If you can get an inspector out. I am still on the waiting list for the county code inspector to come look at my new HVAC system. It was put in 11 months ago and they are still backed up because of covid. Yet my neighbor across the street had dual pane windows put in, and the inspector was out the day after the job was complete!
And when I had my roof replaced the inspector showed up in a Toyota Prius with NO LADDER. How do you inspect a roof without a ladder? I lent him mine.

A pot filler is a great thing! Not a total game changer, but a nice addition. It's not just for filling big pasta pots:
- Say you're making iced tea, which we Southerners do at least every other day. You can fill the pot right at the stove.
- Say you're making soup, and you realize you need more water -- do it right at the stove.
- Say you're making sauce or gravy, and you need a bit more water -- you can add more water without leaving the stove /stopping stirring.
- Say you've finished cooking something, and you want to leave the pot to soak -- no need to move it to the sink. Just fill it and leave it on the stove.
Meh. None of that is worth the trouble of having to clean the damn thing every time you use the stove.

neighbor had to have the roof redone and everyone (insurance adjuster, roofing companies) all use drones these days.
My inspection involved a lot of hands on testing of vent caps, vented ridged and valleys to make sure they were secure. I can see that for insurance adjusting, and bidding by a roofer, but the permit inspection has to be done physically on the roof. I paid enough for that permit, they better get their butts up there.

A question for the group, how high are your counters? Our house was built in 1979 with 34" tall counters. Our remodeling contractor suggested we go with 36" tall counters which we did. But apparently some folks go with counters as tall as 42".
I really don't notice the difference between 34 and 36" counters.
In our current home (and most others we have lived in) the counters, islands and vanities are standard 36" height. The best kitchen I ever had was custom-built for the original owners and had the island dropped to table height (about 31") and the comfort of working at that height of surface was amazing for me (I'm very short). If I was custom-building a home for myself, I'd definitely do that again but would probably retain the counters and vanities at standard height for re-sale.

Professionally, both DH and I have not in memory seen tall kitchen counters but tall (42") vanities are an occasional thing, although I personally find them horrible, for example when I encounter them in a hotel. Top them with a vessel sink and I practically need a step-stool to use them comfortably.

No one has mentioned you should probably first think about what your budget for the project will be. Most people generally don't have unlimited funds and need to plan to a budget. The major costs will be the appliances, cabinets and countertops. To a lesser extent the flooring, sinks, hardware, etc.. Lots of the extras or 'nice to haves' being mentioned will likely depend on your budget. You also would probably not choose top of the line appliances and then have formica countertops. Seems you need to choose things within your budget that would make sense when combined together for the finished kitchen.

No one has mentioned you should probably first think about what your budget for the project will be. Most people generally don't have unlimited funds and need to plan to a budget. The major costs will be the appliances, cabinets and countertops. To a lesser extent the flooring, sinks, hardware, etc.. Lots of the extras or 'nice to haves' being mentioned will likely depend on your budget. You also would probably not choose top of the line appliances and then have formica countertops. Seems you need to choose things within your budget that would make sense when combined together for the finished kitchen.
This is so true here in Canada kitchen cabinets are very expensive but if you watch those renovations shows and budgets it blows my mind how cheap they can do a kitchen.

Appliances can really get pricey IF you prefer so called "high end" stuff. Having gone from a $225 Microhood microwave hood combo, to a drawer microwave that cost $800 was a bit mind blowing. Our builder sent us to a high end appliance specialty store that had every dishwasher they sold installed so you could see, and more importantly HEAR them run. Salesman said in their experience, the life expectancy of a $500 dishwasher was the same as a $5,000 one. You just get different features and "prestige" with the more expensive brands. We went with the $500 one and it performs as well as the Bosch it replaced.
But the cabinets and counter were the real big costs.

Looking at the pictures, you can see that an appliance barn, while extremely practical, is entirely out of current fashion (hint: look at the counter tops and cabinet pulls). My DH is a high-end kitchen designer and I work for a homebuilder that does 300+ units a year. I can safely say it's been a decade or more since they were popular so if form is at all important, it would be a huge NO, although an A+ for functionality.
My neighbor has an appliance barn that is a full pantry repurposed. Electric was put behind each put out shelf. An appliance sits on each shelf and can be pulled out as needed. This sits next to the larger real pantry and looks like one big one.

My neighbor has an appliance barn that is a full pantry repurposed. Electric was put behind each put out shelf. An appliance sits on each shelf and can be pulled out as needed. This sits next to the larger real pantry and looks like one big one.
::yes:: Yes, there are quite a few different, more modern looking configurations we're seeing.

Some of the newer design trends depend on personal taste. I don't care for those open shelves or glass doors on kitchen cabinets where things look a like a display instead of a practical means of storage. Cabinet prices will vary based on the type of wood used and quality of construction. Cheap cabinets have drawers made from pressed fiber board most likely stapled together. The drawer glides will be plastic parts that will fail over time. Better quality cabinets will be made from solid wood/plywood and use tongue/groove construction that lasts much longer. Cheap cabinets may look ok at first, but in a few years time you will clearly be able to see the difference.

Some of the newer design trends depend on personal taste. I don't care for those open shelves or glass doors on kitchen cabinets where things look a like a display instead of a practical means of storage. Cabinet prices will vary based on the type of wood used and quality of construction. Cheap cabinets have drawers made from pressed fiber board most likely stapled together. The drawer glides will be plastic parts that will fail over time. Better quality cabinets will be made from solid wood/plywood and use tongue/groove construction that lasts much longer. Cheap cabinets may look ok at first, but in a few years time you will clearly be able to see the difference.
Dove-tails and biscuit joints, actually.

This is so true here in Canada kitchen cabinets are very expensive but if you watch those renovations shows and budgets it blows my mind how cheap they can do a kitchen.
And the funny thing is, a amazing number of those homes in renovations shows like Love It Or List It are in Canada.

Yes, kitchens are NOT cheap. This is a custom kitchen designed and sold by my DH here in Calgary about a year ago. (The owners graciously allowed the company to stage it and have promotional photos taken for their website.) He works for a company that has several branches in Western Canada and manufacturers their own products in BC. The price tag was +/-$55,000 not including appliances, quartz or lighting.
1669493605471.png

No one has mentioned you should probably first think about what your budget for the project will be. Most people generally don't have unlimited funds and need to plan to a budget.
We planned our remodel the way we wanted everything, then figured we would pull back if the estimates came in too high. Fortunately it didn't. We splurged on the cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms, and used Corian for the kitchen counters which is pretty pricey compared to granite and quartz. But we had been in our house 30 years, and it was 34 years old with the original kitchen and bathrooms, doors and carpet, raised 2 kids and had 5 cats so it was time. So it was time, and we hope to live out our lives here.
Our big surprise cost was needing a new roof to the tune of $10,000. We did find a 5 foot long section of wall in the master shower with black mold behind it, and those home improvement shows make it seem that is the end of the world. But remediation and replacing the studs and wood exterior paneling only cost $1,200.
My remodel cost more than I paid for the house in 1983, but adding those two figures together, plus what we spent in 1992 adding a bedroom/bathroom on, we're still into it for about half the retail value is now.

I agree with a pp who said you really have to see what your budget is first. Kitchen renovations, upgrades and even “freshen ups” vary a lot in costs depending on what you use for materials and who does the work. We were not only renovating our kitchen (after living with a ”freshened up by the previous owners” circa 1964 kitchen for over 20 yrs - which gave us a LOT of time to dream and plan), but adding a large sunroom and putting in an above ground pool with deck at the same time, plus since we were changing the kitchen colors and decor, I wanted new dishes and it was time for a new table, etc. So a lot to consider. We also added a new slider and set of french doors and such - and sunroom has 8 beautiful Harvey windows to boot (which I absolutely love, even better than the Anderson’s we’ve upgraded other windows in the house with; they’re literally one hand operation to open and lock, super easy, yet very strong and handsome). Don’t forget to add in costs for professional services like +/- designers, electricians and plumbers.

We used home equity but we wanted to make our money stretch as we had a lot to do. DH did all of the grunt work in taking the old kitchen walls down to the studs. We did keep our ceramic tile floor since it was in good shape, and we kept our appliances (which we later upgraded as needed, keeping the color, black and stainless, consistent). Everything else was new. We had a long time to research, plan and look at different options, but we kept coming back to IKEA (linked article) and we were positive, without question, that that‘s what we wanted, which felt good. We used a designer that works exclusively with IKEA products and although DH was skilled in cabinetry, we hired a man from the design company to come in for 8 hrs to help him get started (since they are European style cabinets that hang on brackets differently; design and help both extremely affordable, they have several options including installing completely too, if desired) but DH did the rest by himself and even fashioned a decorative shelf by the kitchen window/sink and a wine rack for me over the fridge. In our area even high end ocean front homes use IKEA there are a lot of pros if you are looking for an affordable renovation - there is a reason they are so popular. Ours look and function as good as they did the day they went in, though we treat elements of our home with a lot of respect. (We will use IKEA again when we renovate our in law apt’s cabinets, too, one of these days.)

Our builder gave this advice: you want to look at the big picture that is your home overall and keep it all congruent, if that makes sense. In other words, don’t put in a crazy high-end kitchen if you have a starter ranch (which is us, at its heart, although we’ve added on twice).

I say all this because I know there are people here reading this thread that see kitchen renovations that cost $200,000 and it’s discouraging. I’m here to say it doesn’t have to cost that much. We did a complete kitchen reno for about $10,000 (at the time - no doubt, costs have gone up since then 😕) not including new table and chairs and dishes, etc.

All that said, the things that I love:

My granite
My Delta touch-activated faucet https://www.trendir.com/touchactivated-kitchen-faucet/
My deep, stainless under granite single sink
My undercounter lights, which give a beautiful glow to the granite (and were suggested by the electrician) which have their own switch
My two seater island
Two whole cabinets that have deep drawers that hold all our pots, pans, lids, cookie sheets and Rubbermaid.
Three cabinets that are glass front. We don’t have fancy dishes but everything looks nice in there and keeps things bright.
Our two corner cabinets both are two shelf turntables and hold a ton. (Previously were big black holes.)
We didn’t do a backsplash. Some of the ones I see, to me, are “too much” (and likely to look outdated, imo)
My lighting - jewel colored hand fashioned over-table large light and smaller matching sconce over the sink, plus added recessed lighting and the aforementoned undercounter lights. All make kitchen look so pretty
The french doors that lead to the sunroom off the kitchen that we can keep open or closed
(I just asked DH what he likes about it and he said he loves the way it looks. Not bad after living with it for ten or so yrs. Our countertops are 36” in height; DH is 6ft tall but I’m, well, see below. )

We do have the over the stove microwave and though I’m short (was always 5’4” but seem to have shrunk to 5”2” 😬) it hasn’t been a safety issue for us (always had one). I agree the vent leaves a little to be desired, but I wipe down the cabinets above it with Dawn dishwashing liquid a couple of times a year and any grease comes right off. (Honestly we use the Blackstone grill a lot to cook so most grease stays outside.)

Things I wish I had:

A pantry. I have one 8 steps down and around the corner, but my dream would be to have one right off the kitchen. (Will never happen in current house.)
I wouldn’t mind having a pot faucet but also will never happen with plumbing.
Would love to update flooring one of these days. Still not 100% sure what I want (have time to think about it, lol) I thought maybe the vinyl tiles that look like wood but sounds like a pp didn’t like them? We have dogs.
Would love a larger fridge. We have the smallest side by side they make (and there’s no room in it, especially the freezer). Currently we keep a fridge in the downstairs storage room and we have one in our in law apt too, but it’s a bit of a pain (can never find anything), and the electric bill is too high now so probably getting rid of the former).

Good luck to everyone who wants to do some kitchen work. It can happen! Even little changes can make a big difference. If I had had cabinets that were good I would’ve considered painting them, for sure.

B5B96902-EA30-41F0-B9B5-75DBC3DC9AA1.jpeg

F650E9F7-CD48-4DB3-9945-5DD3185BD633.jpeg

ETA these pictures. Much is the same but our appliances are now mostly stainless (with a little black) and we keep the Kitchen Aid mixer in the corner where the Keurig is and got rid of the Cuisinart coffee maker.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter