Any recommendations for dog kennels in the Disneyland area?

Overnight? We just used the PetSmart Pet Hotel at Yorba Linda (off 91; it was along our travel route) ... but there is also a PetSmart Pet Hotel in Orange ... I think it is ~4 miles from DLR? Our dog came home exhausted by the play time but otherwise safe, healthy and happy.

Two types of accommodation:

Standard​

Comfy & secure individual accommodations.
This Stay & Play option includes:
  • A minimum of 5 hours of play, socialization & enrichment
  • Calming spray upon arrival

Private Suite​

Larger, more private accommodations.
This Stay & Play option includes:
  • A minimum of 5 hours of play, socialization & enrichment
  • Calming diffuser
  • White noise machine
  • Superb Sleeper bed
If your pet is not already in the PetSmart Pet Hotel system ... you will need to bring proof of vaccination (Rabies, DAPP), Bordatella and your Rabies Certificate from your vet. (This last bit was a pain to obtain!)

Yorba Linda location:
5521 Mirage St
Yorba Linda, CA, 92887
(714) 637-8088

Orange Location, which also has a Banfield Pet Hospital onsite:
1500 E Village Way, Ste 2380
Orange, CA, 92865
(714) 923-4037

The problem we have is that we don't want to leave our dog overnight and most places' 'daycare hours' are not compatible with park hours. PetSmart seems to be no different with daycare hours apparently being 9-5. I think we're spoiled by Best Friends at WDW. Opens 1 hr before park opening and closes 1 hour after the last park closes.

I really wish DLR would partner with a Best Friends or comparable kennel company in Anaheim.

The problem we have is that we don't want to leave our dog overnight and most places' 'daycare hours' are not compatible with park hours. PetSmart seems to be no different with daycare hours apparently being 9-5. I think we're spoiled by Best Friends at WDW. Opens 1 hr before park opening and closes 1 hour after the last park closes.

I really wish DLR would partner with a Best Friends or comparable kennel company in Anaheim.
If there’s a Dogtopia nearby, they’re fantastic.

If there’s a Dogtopia nearby, they’re fantastic.
I've checked them out. Same problems. Daycare hours are too short. Drop off is OK at 6.30 am. But you have to pick up by 6pm which doesn't work for a Disney Day that may end at 9pm or even later. Plus, our older Dachsie doesn't always 'play well with others' and can become overwhelmed in a large group of dogs. Dogtopia doesn't offer separate runs or rooms for private daycare like Best Friends does.

It would be super if Dogtopia could expand their hours to match park hours and services to include private daycare runs & rooms and partner with DLR, though. I think it would be a real gold mine.

That’s what i was going to say. We’ve used Rover three times in the last few months with theee different sitters and had great experiences each time. They have people who will take your dog into their home for the day.

Unfortunately, the one at DLR is still closed. I don't have personal experience with the Anaheim kennels, as I live local in So OC. My advice is to call local vets for recommendations.
Thank you for the great idea of calling local vets for recommendations!!

We use Dachs 2 Danes
227 N State College blvd
Anaheim, CA 92806

562-344-6343

I had a great experience, also they have an option to watch from a live stream which is pretty comforting when leaving your pet behind with strangers.

There is actually one right at Disneyland.
Any recommendations for dog kennels in the Disneyland area?
Update: I appreciate all of the replies to my question. We have decided to try Petopia Pet Resort, which is about five miles away from Disneyland. I'm really hoping it works out for us. I will report back in February after our trip. I still wish Disneyland would reopen their kennel.

Here's my report about Petopia Pet Resport in Orange, California:
My husband and I arrived to Petopia Pet Resort on Feb. 13th, 2023 at around 2:45 p.m. They are located about 4.6 miles from Disneyland.
They give tours at 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.----no exceptions. We got lucky with the timing of our arrival and were able to have a tour after checking in our two Australian Shepherds.

We weren't happy with the condition of the play yard. There were several sudden dips in the artifical turf. The ground needs to be leveled and new artificial turf installed.

We had reserved a premium suite for our dogs. The one they were put in had several cracked tiles with exposed sheetrock. We requested they be moved into another one since my puppy has been known to bite a hole in a wall. They immediately complied.

We gave them a bag with typed out instructions concerning their food (portions were individually labeled), tennis balls for one dog and squeeky balls for the other (each one has a preference). After looking at the pictures that were posted of our dogs on their Facebook page, we suspect only one tennis ball was used during playtime which was disappointing.

The employees were pleasant.

We paid extra for extra playtime and potty breaks. We wanted them to get as much attention as possible. They also stayed in one of the higher priced accommodations which allowed them a private area of artifical grass to play or gopotty at any time.

The dogs stayed a total of four nights. All in all, everything went well. They don't have webcams, but we were sent pictures of them over the course of their stay. We appreciated that very much.

No employee is on the premises during the night. They are only there during operating hours. We didn't feel comfortable about that at all.

When we picked them up to go home, they were plenty happy and content.

We are hoping Disneyland builds a new kennel on property. I write them everyday voicing my desire for a new kennel.
All in all, we were happy Petopia Pet Resort was there but would have preferred having our dogs with us at a pet-friendly motel during the evening and left at a Disneyland Kennel during the day.

@Karma13

Thank you so much for your review! I think I'd feel the same as you as far as the first 'less than stellar' accommodations. Glad you got them moved. But when you're far from home with your dogs what can you do? It's not like you can change kennels with the same ease you'd call around and get a different hotel room!

I know your dogs were there overnight, but did you happen to see any info about day-boarding, especially the hours?

We are so spoiled by Best Friends in Orlando and haven't found anything to equal it for convenience in So Cal. DH absolutely refuses to leave our Dachsie overnight.

I think I'm going to start emailing DLR about them having a kennel, too. They don't even need to build their own. I'm sure there's a kennel somewhere in the vicinity they could contract with in the same way WDW contracts with Best Friends. It would all be about 'standards of care' I suppose.

I know this might not be helpful, but for anyone who is driving to Anaheim from Santa Barbara or Ventura Counties, we love Dioji for cage-free boarding. They have a person sleep with the dogs overnight in a big shared room. Their facilities are great and they always take good care of our Slinky. They have locations in Goleta, Santa Barbara, Oxnard, and Agoura Hills. I know this isn't super close to Anaheim but we trust them fully and drop out baby off before trips to Anaheim.

@Karma13

Thank you so much for your review! I think I'd feel the same as you as far as the first 'less than stellar' accommodations. Glad you got them moved. But when you're far from home with your dogs what can you do? It's not like you can change kennels with the same ease you'd call around and get a different hotel room!

I know your dogs were there overnight, but did you happen to see any info about day-boarding, especially the hours?

We are so spoiled by Best Friends in Orlando and haven't found anything to equal it for convenience in So Cal. DH absolutely refuses to leave our Dachsie overnight.

I think I'm going to start emailing DLR about them having a kennel, too. They don't even need to build their own. I'm sure there's a kennel somewhere in the vicinity they could contract with in the same way WDW contracts with Best Friends. It would all be about 'standards of care' I suppose.
You're welcome!
The hours for Petopia Pet Resort are 8:00 a.m.--12:00 p.m. and 1:30 p.m.--6:00 p.m.
The hours of operation make it impossible to drop the dogs off, go back to Disneyland, park, and try to do rope drop. Then to pick them up everyday to spend an evening in a motel, you lose an incredible amount of park time.
I am very jealous of Best Friends in WDW, because it looks amazing!
It would be wonderful if you start writing to DLR about a kennel. The more people we can get complaining about this, maybe something will happen.

@Karma13

Yeah, hours wouldn't work at all for us. There's just nothing in the area that's geared to the tourist trade as far as daycare goes. So for the foreseeable future it's solo trips for me.

Best Friends is open from one hour before the earliest park opening to one hour after the last park closes. That works really great since we're 'right around the corner' at FtW and we've never failed to make rope drop. We've never felt our dog has had less than 'blue ribbon' care.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter