Any Reasons for requesting rooms at POR?

SEA333

DIS Veteran
We have booked a standard view room at POR for our November trip. We are pretty easygoing and don't really spend a lot of time looking at the "view" out of the hotel window when we are on vacation, and we are in the AB section anyway since we are a family of five, so I didn't book anything special as far as room locations go. the kids are 13, 10, and 7, so no itty bitty ones on this trip!

I read here that some of the standard buildings are better than others for various reasons. We will be getting a rental car when we land at MCO, so we will have a car, so what other reasons are there to *request* a specific room location (I highlighted request because I understand that without paying for a preferred room, we risk getting the "worst" room, and if so, we're OK with that LOL)

I was thinking that the only thing we would really care about is the pool and maybe the foodcourt so that we have easier access to the refillable mugs , although no matter how close we are, I don't really see us schlepping around outside at all hours of the morning and night to get our 12 free oz of Coke...I think we will realistically stop at Target or Walmart on the way from the airport for juice, water, and pop and use the refillable mugs in the room.

Really....any reasons to request anything, or will we be OK taking our chances and taking what we get?

I agree with you, a standard room is fine. I've stayed at POR twice, first in AB, second I was given the mansions. Not too happy with the mansions until I saw just where we were that I actually loved the location. I feel having the preferred is good for a closer access to the food court, but POR is big, but not as big as CBR where a perferred room may be a must.

If you want to be close to the main buildings you really do need to pay for the preferred room location. I've stayed at POR many times (and am again this December!:banana:) and some of the standard rooms are a bit of a hike away from the food court. Not like a trek to Siberia or anything, but long enough that a quick hop to get anything is not a quick hop.

*I still haven't made any kind of request for my upcoming trip, and I have a standard room booked too. I know I am going to request Close To A Bus Stop, but I may add Magnolia Terrace Please. A few years back we ended up in the back part of AB building #34, and it was very close to a bus stop, but a good 13 minute walk away from the food court.

We always book a standard room. In mods, you have no private outdoor space to enjoy a view from so its not worth the cost to us. Since you're a family of 5, you will be placed in Alligator Bayou. The buildings closest to the main pool and food court in Alligator Bayou are all preferred rooms, which is an upcharge so you'd have to upgrade to that. We never really request anything specific at POR and have always been happy.

Because there are no balconies and people walk by your window, I would never pay for a "view" at a moderate, but I would pay for "location." POR is a large resort and we don't like a long walk for a meal or soda after a day in the parks.

soccer mom said:
Because there are no balconies and people walk by your window, I would never pay for a "view" at a moderate, but I would pay for "location." POR is a large resort and we don't like a long walk for a meal or soda after a day in the parks.

Ditto. Location at POR is greater than view, very much of the time.

Thanks everyone! So, view being out, and location of AB rooms being a factor, would it make sense to hop in the car and drive to the food court/pool rather than a 10-15 minute walk if the kids (especially the short, skinny 7 year old LOL) are exhausted at the end of the day? I'm talking about the rooms at the most outer reaches of the resort - I think someone said it's a 13 minute walk? This is also assuming the bus stops are fairly close to even the outer buildings?

Thanks everyone! So, view being out, and location of AB rooms being a factor, would it make sense to hop in the car and drive to the food court/pool rather than a 10-15 minute walk if the kids (especially the short, skinny 7 year old LOL) are exhausted at the end of the day? I'm talking about the rooms at the most outer reaches of the resort - I think someone said it's a 13 minute walk? This is also assuming the bus stops are fairly close to even the outer buildings?

No I don't think driving is necessary. POR is a large resort but it's shaped well - meaning, there are bridges, paths, etc. so no walking around a massive lake or something like that to get to where you are going. To my knowledge, you'd still have a walk to the food court/main building from the closest parking lot to there. It would be faster and easier to walk from the most remote AB building, IMO.

When we go we have breakfast items and drinks in the room. Usually have lunch and dinner in a park or a resort close to whichever park we are at. We didn't even bother with refillable mugs and probably went to the main building once other than at check-in. Unless you are eating at the food court every day, no need to be close to it. If you get the refillable mugs you will feel obligated to use them so we don't bother. Much easier and cheaper to buy what you want for drinks, especially since you have a car.

If you don't want to climb stairs at the end of a long park day, then you may want to request a first floor room. I think the AB buildings only have 2 floors, but I hate stairs when I'm tired!

If you don't want to climb stairs at the end of a long park day, then you may want to request a first floor room. I think the AB buildings only have 2 floors, but I hate stairs when I'm tired!

True - AB buildings are only two floors, but no elevators.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter