Any Canadians planning a fall 2021 trip?

Do you all think that you will still need to quarantine? Or whether the 3 day hotel policy and following quarantine period will still be in place? Having the vaccine done - does that take away the 14 day quarantine requirement? I have not heard about this. We have pushed all our trips, probably including this summer. The negative covid tests and quarantine period is what is stopping our trips.

I think right now no one can say! I think Canada will want to get back to normal entry at the border as soon as possible, but it will all depend on risk of rise in cases to delivery of health care.

Most people would define missing a vacation as a first world problem. It’s true, but that certainly doesn’t negate the pain of losing or deferring so many family moments/memories.

Yes it definitely is a first world problem. And we don’t dwell on it. But for her when I cancelled (days before we were leaving) it was the first of many things being cancelled. For so many kids it’s not the vacation, it’s everything together.

I’m so hoping we can go this fall. But I’m getting doubtful.

Yes it definitely is a first world problem. And we don’t dwell on it. But for her when I cancelled (days before we were leaving) it was the first of many things being cancelled. For so many kids it’s not the vacation, it’s everything together.

So true. I think this pandemic has been really hard on my teen. I have younger children as well a d they seem impervious to it. My teen is missing out on so many rights of passage. It breaks my heart.

So true. I think this pandemic has been really hard on my teen. I have younger children as well a d they seem impervious to it. My teen is missing out on so many rights of passage. It breaks my heart.

On Valentine’s Day my daughter told the dog she was her valentine and made comments about how it’s not like she can date in a pandemic 😞. I feel so bad for them when I think of all the things we did as late teens and young adults and just took for granted, that they can’t do. My youngest, as long as he has his Xbox and can see his friends at school and sports, he’s good. He will bounce back no problem. The teens out there, I’m not so sure. They are learning a huge lesson about resilience though.

We cancelled our March break 2020 trip too just days before leaving also, so I know how you must have felt. We haven't been brave enough to book anything yet (can‘t deal with the disappointment of cancelling again), but with a substantial travel bank that has to be “used/booked” by March 2022, I know I need to plan something eventually.

I have 3 weeks booked off in September. If I can’t go where I want to go - and the border is open, I’m going to WDW. I feel trapped right now. I work... so I can travel. I hate taking staycations.

After a year of staycations, I too am “over” them. Yesterday I was trying to get excited about a local vacation for this summer and I just couldn’t. Don’t get me wrong, I live in a beautiful part of the country and appreciate the forced opportunity to explore it more. I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else ! But in the 35 years I have lived here I have done it almost all. I’m craving some novelty and a change of scenery.

After a year of staycations, I too am “over” them. Yesterday I was trying to get excited about a local vacation for this summer and I just couldn’t. Don’t get me wrong, I live in a beautiful part of the country and appreciate the forced opportunity to explore it more. I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else ! But in the 35 years I have lived here I have done it almost all. I’m craving some novelty and a change of scenery.

Right now I feel like we can’t even take staycations. With us being green zone apparently our city was really busy this weekend with out of town visitors a lot from hot spots.
I was debating booking a jacuzzi room for little guys 7 th bday next month he would play in jacuzzi and we would leave the room BUT now I hear the out of town health care workers are all in that hotel .. live in a hot zone and come work in our green zone and go back to the hot spot on their off days. Just waiting for an outbreak , and to get locked down again.

happier news big kid stayed home this year and we weren’t sure he’d get into his choice program next year as they changed requirements . Dropped the volunteer 100 hours and he had 600 hands on so .. Anyways he got in got notified yesterday. But he’s still feeling queasy about moving to a hot spot . He has some health issues. Thinking first seventeen may be online .. Bit the not knowing ...
Def makes my vacation planning harder tho. We have next Xmas booked. Here’s hoping . I can’t imagine vacationing without him. He really is my right hand man, He k with DD 14 bring my copilot and the two littles chattering away in the back , there is a good chance we would spend the whole vacation trying to get out of the airport parking garage . :)

Right now I feel like we can’t even take staycations. With us being green zone apparently our city was really busy this weekend with out of town visitors a lot from hot spots.
I was debating booking a jacuzzi room for little guys 7 th bday next month he would play in jacuzzi and we would leave the room BUT now I hear the out of town health care workers are all in that hotel .. live in a hot zone and come work in our green zone and go back to the hot spot on their off days. Just waiting for an outbreak , and to get locked down again.

This is what I worry about too. I am somewhat over staycations, I love to go further out of our area, but fine I said to my family if we can’t go anywhere else this summer, we will explore close to home. Deep inside I don’t even think we can because Canada and Ontario in particular hasn’t allowed anything recreational to really open, and it doesn’t look that much better for this summer. For example, we frequent Great Wolf Lodge Niagara 2 hrs from our house. Their website says they are closed til September! Will Canada’s Wonderland open? Or other Toronto attractions when they continue to be a covid hot spot? We wanted to visit Quebec or BC, will that be allowed? Canadian government will say to support our local economy but there is nothing to support and other than a cottage where to go? Of course I realize that peak summer travel season is months away, but on the other hand these places need notice to re-open, some that have been closed for a year will have to re-hire and re-train from scratch. While I’m grateful our infection levels have been much lower than the States, I wish some days we lived there. Disney world is open for those that can drive down and as safe as can be based what we are hearing, no outbreaks or anything. We have friends that live in NC and while they have limited capacity, masks everywhere so much more has re-opened there and stayed open. Their infections are going down, same as here. We need to find a way to safely operate mostly everything, but it seems like nothing but lockdowns. Rant over, haha. I am optimistic that summer will be better and that international travel will resume later this year, in the meantime would love to spend our vacation dollars locally if there was anywhere to go.

Last edited:
Oh summertime. I just hope we can do something this year. I am not planning to use much vacation time, a week end of June/July and then two weeks at the beginning of August. Normal years I take all of August off. I am hoping our usual beach is open again this year (supposed to be, covid allowing) but not sure what else. We do have tickets for Toronto Zoo to use so may do a day trip there again. It would be nice if hotels are able to open their pools, but we'll see on that too. I was looking at cottages but no idea if I want to do that, it means I still have to cook & clean so how is that better than being at home? I want to be able to travel. Perhaps it's the winter cabin fever starting to set in.

This is what I worry about too. I am somewhat over staycations, I love to go further out of our area, but fine I said to my family if we can’t go anywhere else this summer, we will explore close to home. Deep inside I don’t even think we can because Canada and Ontario in particular hasn’t allowed anything recreational to really open, and it doesn’t look that much better for this summer. For example, we frequent Great Wolf Lodge Niagara 2 hrs from our house. Their website says they are closed til September! Will Canada’s Wonderland open? Or other Toronto attractions when they continue to be a covid hot spot? We wanted to visit Quebec or BC, will that be allowed? Canadian government will say to support our local economy but there is nothing to support and other than a cottage where to go? Of course I realize that peak summer travel season is months away, but on the other hand these places need notice to re-open, some that have been closed for a year will have to re-hire and re-train from scratch. While I’m grateful our infection levels have been much lower than the States, I wish some days we lived there. Disney world is open for those that can drive down and as safe as can be based what we are hearing, no outbreaks or anything. We have friends that live in NC and while they have limited capacity, masks everywhere so much more has re-opened there and stayed open. Their infections are going down, same as here. We need to find a way to safely operate mostly everything, but it seems like nothing but lockdowns. Rant over, haha. I am optimistic that summer will be better and that international travel will resume later this year, in the meantime would love to spend our vacation dollars locally if there was anywhere to go.

Great Wolf Lodge said September!? Wow! Glad we didn’t book that trip to Toronto/Niagara we were considering :o

We are looking at winter 2022 so late January to mid February. We missed Aulani this year as we would have just returned the other day as my wife turned 40 this year and that was her trip to choose but in 2022 the kids want WDW and the adults want Aulani so we will see. If that does not work we have to travel before the end of Nov 2022 as I will have DVC points that expire and I would much rather use them if we can and if not we will rent them. I am probably going to booked WDW in the next few weeks and then wait to the 7 month window to check on Aulani.

I got an email from JetBlue this week, moving forward no carryons for free. Personal items only. That may be the tipping point for us after we use our travel bank . We usually manage to squish everything into carryons not so much to avoid fees but to avoid waiting at a carousel , being a single Mom it’s all about the ease of things.... I suppose I could pay for two overhead bags and of personal items include backpacks I’m guessing not tho it might be ok. I just hate feeling nickel and dimed.

I got an email from JetBlue this week, moving forward no carryons for free. Personal items only. That may be the tipping point for us after we use our travel bank . We usually manage to squish everything into carryons not so much to avoid fees but to avoid waiting at a carousel , being a single Mom it’s all about the ease of things.... I suppose I could pay for two overhead bags and of personal items include backpacks I’m guessing not tho it might be ok. I just hate feeling nickel and dimed.

I love to just use carryons as well, Disney was the only place I would pack a checked bag and that was for the magic of it appearing in the room (obviously not going to be a thing any more). No way I could get away with just personal items and one overhead though (for 2 of us). I mean I pack pretty light but that would be pushing it I think. And I have this amazing underseat case I used AM to get, it's so nice and easy to organize.

I wish so badly we could travel this year but until the quarantine requirement is removed it's going to be out of reach for us unfortunately. I am lucky however to live in NS where our restrictions have been much looser for some time now. We'll probably have the same summer as last year - lots of camping all around our province. At this rate I doubt very highly we'll get to FL much before late 2022.

I’m having a magical day ! I just booked for February 2022. The joy in my heart knowing I MAY get to DisneyWorld ( restrictions lifted, vaccines completed ) has me so happy today. I sure hope we all get back to our happy place.
Honestly, it just helps so much to have something booked, doesn't it? We've rebooked Scotland for next Spring. It seems so so far away, but it gives me hope for a better time :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!