Any adult Dis'ers into Hardcore Metal?

You have a nice line up coming your way!!!

I would like to see Napalm Death.

I always laugh when I hear the name- iwrestledabearonce- and laugh even more when I think about the name of their song "Tastes like Kevin Bacon":lmao: But that chick's voice is insane!!

I only have Exodus/Kreator's show on April 9th on my calendar right now.

I am going to try and get into Philly tomorrow to see if I can buy my Testament tix right from the venue box office- hoping there will not be any fees if I do it that way. AND! If I pout a little DH may fold and agree to go see one of the Lamb of God shows:rotfl2:

But, I will be nice and try and give him a choice, Lamb of God or Mastodon. :angel: (I would prefer LOG;) )

Testament is on tour?? :faint: I had no idea. What the heck is wrong with me? I saw them last year when they were on tour with Priest, but they were the first band on, so they only gave them 1/2 hour. Testament deserves more than a half hour. I may have to make a voyage to Philly.

Why doesn't your DH want to go see LOG? I think I would prefer them over Mastodon, too.

:rolleyes1

JDforMDHTR.jpg
PS1.jpg

:laughing:

I may also catch Queensryche at the House of Blue DTD if I can convince my wife to extend our already long Disney trip in May...

If it was Maiden you might have been able to talk me into it.;)

Nothing in my area. I usually have to go to Jaxx in Springfield, VA to see anything decent. I may be going there for the Kreator/Exodus show in May (I think?). That's if I can find someone to go with me. I married my complete opposite and he absolutely refuses to go with me. And most of my friends just don't get it. I can usually get my sister to go, but she doesn't like anything that lasts longer than a couple of hours.:confused3

I've seen a lot of those bands you have listed before. Warbringer is really good and I would love to see them again. I like some of All That Remains' stuff, but they've sort of gone soft lately. They're nice guys, though.

Lamb of God is good live, too. Do you know if they're still doing the wall of death during Black Label? I haven't seen them in a few years. And I hope to never be caught anywhere near a wall of death.

I couldn't agree with you more regarding All That Remains they were so promising when they first started out but as you said have since gotten really soft..Not just in sound because heavy doesn't always mean better but the overall song quality has greatly diminished....The last time I saw Lamb of God the "wall of death" was very much in play indeed..I'm too old for that stuff now I just step aside and let it pass me by :goodvibes

I only mosh when the music really grabs a hold of me like the first time I saw Amon Amarth they were so intense that I started tons of pits, pushes and circles...Johan even pointed me out and was like "now this is what we expect out of you Americans" grabbed his Horn and cheered me with it and took a huge swig...They have the best encore song ever with Death in Fire makes you want to pit hardcore :jumping1:

But yeah Wall of Death = :scared:

If it was Maiden you might have been able to talk me into it.;)

What no love for Geoff Tate? :laughing: But seriously if it were Maiden it wouldn't even be a question :rockband: That would be the greatest vacation ever Disney + Iron Maiden!! I don't think I would be able to handle it I would be like a 12 y.o. girl when Twilight came out (minus the poser part) :thumbsup2

You guys going to any other great shows in your area?

From a metal standpoint, so far I think it may just be LOG and Mastodon, although I may catch Metallica if they play in the area on their second US leg. I wasn't going to catch them on this tour, but I talked to someone who just saw them play a small show in Austin during SXSW, and they said it's the best they've ever heard Metallica play.

I'm also looking forward to hitting Progressive Nation 09 which is more prog-rock and classic prog than prog metal. The line up is:

Dream Theater
Zappa plays Zappa
Pain of Salvation
Beardfish

I'm a huge fan of Dream Theater, and Zappa's stuff. I dig Beardfish, as they sound a lot like classic Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant etc ... but they are not for everybody. I've gotta say I could never get into Pain of Salvation, and I'm not much of a fan. But they have a rabid fanbase in prog-rock circles, and it's rare that they tour the US.

A friend of mine managed to score Phish tickets for June. I think Phish was actually my gateway to all things music back in the late 80s/early 90s. Sure I listened to classic rock, hair metal, and Metallica, but nothing off the beaten path. After I was introduced to Phish, that led me into jazz/fusion, then classic prog, onto prog rock, to prog metal, to classic metal, and then onto any metal I could find. I now listen to almost all types of music, but I can thank Phish for opening my mind, and inspiring me to pick up the guitar.

On the LOG vs Mastodon thing - I prefer Mastodon musically. While they aren't as brutal as LOG, there's a lot more going on texture-wise with Mastodon's music. But from a live perspective, LOG easily gets the win. They are more energetic on stage, and Mastodon still has trouble pulling off the vocals, and some of the odd time parts live.

From a metal standpoint, so far I think it may just be LOG and Mastodon, although I may catch Metallica if they play in the area on their second US leg. I wasn't going to catch them on this tour, but I talked to someone who just saw them play a small show in Austin during SXSW, and they said it's the best they've ever heard Metallica play.

I'm also looking forward to hitting Progressive Nation 09 which is more prog-rock and classic prog than prog metal. The line up is:

Dream Theater
Zappa plays Zappa
Pain of Salvation
Beardfish

I'm a huge fan of Dream Theater, and Zappa's stuff. I dig Beardfish, as they sound a lot like classic Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant etc ... but they are not for everybody. I've gotta say I could never get into Pain of Salvation, and I'm not much of a fan. But they have a rabid fanbase in prog-rock circles, and it's rare that they tour the US.

A friend of mine managed to score Phish tickets for June. I think Phish was actually my gateway to all things music back in the late 80s/early 90s. Sure I listened to classic rock, hair metal, and Metallica, but nothing off the beaten path. After I was introduced to Phish, that led me into jazz/fusion, then classic prog, onto prog rock, to prog metal, to classic metal, and then onto any metal I could find. I now listen to almost all types of music, but I can thank Phish for opening my mind, and inspiring me to pick up the guitar.

On the LOG vs Mastodon thing - I prefer Mastodon musically. While they aren't as brutal as LOG, there's a lot more going on texture-wise with Mastodon's music. But from a live perspective, LOG easily gets the win. They are more energetic on stage, and Mastodon still has trouble pulling off the vocals, and some of the odd time parts live.

I couldn't agree with you more regarding the LOG / Mastadon comparisons...I have seen both bands live on numerous occasions and I must admit that Mastadon sounds better then they used to they still do not display the crispness and intensity that LOG displays. Having said that I would much rather throw is a Mastadon studio album over Lamb of God any day of the week....

I have seen Metallica 8 times live since the Black Album and for me nothing will beat the set and performance when I saw them on the Black Album tour. Of course I was 12 and it was my first official metal show so maybe I am making it out to be better than it actually was. NOTHING could be worse than when I saw them on the ReLoad tour because even though they played Bread fan and So What? they committed Metal Sacrilege and play Four Horsemen Acoustic :scared1: Having said all this I would still like to see them again especially in a small setting they must sound amazing in a small venue!!

I too enjoy all of those Prog Rock/Metal bands you mentioned!! Dream Theater are in my top 20 favorite bands of all time and are AMAZING live...I will never forget seeing them on the Scenes from a memory tour when they played it from start to finish..Easily one of the best shows I have ever seen...I'll have to check out Beardfish as I absolutely love classic YES. :thumbsup2

Enjoy Phish not my style great band and talented but again not my speed but enjoy none the less :thumbsup2

Heyyyyyy! Who let this lady on here!!!??:rotfl2:

Is that your peace offering, a pic of JD and Peter:lmao:OK then...I guess you can stay............:guilty:

:lmao::dance3::lmao::hug: Welcome Tammy!

Found it!!

I had to use the google search since the Dis search feature is turned off.

But I had to subscribe to keep up to date. I had no idea there was a thread like this on the Dis. I may have found a new home.:worship:

Glad to see you found us! Long time no speak! :yay:

I like totally just noticed this thread!~
Black metal...black metal....let's see...

Well, I did see Cradle of Filth last year when they came through, but I just sorta went along for the ride. I was moreso there to see the 69 Eyes than anything lol. I'll listen to a little bit of old Dimmu now and again, but just once in awhile. I guess my real taste in metal is more...I dunno..."fun/spooky/stupid". I'm a total loser for Wednesday 13 so if you're familiar with him then you get where I'm coming from*

A little goth now and again's alright, though sometimes it can get annoying. Type O's great though and I also love the Newlydeads. I'll be going to see Children of Bodom in May too so I'm really looking forward to that. Haven't seen them since the Megadeth show last year which was reeeaaallllly fun! I don't care what genre of metal you're into. Anyone could have gone to that show and had a great time (unless well, I guess....maybe....Metallica fans). In Flames was awesome and I'm not even into them~

But we can't forget our roots. I'm also a sucker for hair bands and the like. Yes, cringe all you like but it's true. I love me some Ratt<3 And Tigertailz. Lest we not forget them! Cheesy can also be fun, and I guess 70's KISS being my all-time favorite band probably says it all. I don't tend to take my music all that seriously.

Anyway yeah. Another metal-head here. I'll be lurking around and seeing what everybody's up to :) Pleasure to meet you all.

Testament is on tour?? :faint: I had no idea. What the heck is wrong with me? I saw them last year when they were on tour with Priest, but they were the first band on, so they only gave them 1/2 hour. Testament deserves more than a half hour. I may have to make a voyage to Philly.

Why doesn't your DH want to go see LOG? I think I would prefer them over Mastodon, too.

DH is not so "dramatic" about bands as I am :rotfl2: H elikes the music and enjoys seeing the bands, but it is not necessary for him- for me? I like to see more!

So where do you live that you would come to Philly!!?

I had plans on getting my Testament tix on Sunday, that did not work out well. I never made it into the city- BUT- we are going over tomorrow night to see a sneak preview of A Haunting in CT and maybe we can swing by the Troc and see what's up!

Napalm Death are the godfathers of grind and are absolutely amazing live!! This will be my 5th time seeing them and every time I see them I walk away feeling as though the skin has been ripped away from my flesh!!

Now, with a description like that? I MUST add them to my "must see" list!!!!! Many people do not find that to be a good thing!:rotfl2: But me, I would find that to be quite awesome!:lmao:

I can't wait for Kreator and Exodus!!1 Nothing like a nice night of German and American Thrash!!!

I hope they play "Til Death Do Us Part" I always said to DH I wanted that as our wedding song! Maybe we can do a romatic toxic waltz around the joint when they play it!:thumbsup2

I may also catch Queensryche at the House of Blue DTD if I can convince my wife to extend our already long Disney trip in May...

So they are still having decent bands at the HOB- remember last year they were going to cut some out (what? b/c of the "riff raff"?):sad2:

Wait- did I read that right?..........you have to CONVINCE your DW to extent an already LONG Disney vacation!!!!!!??:scared1: Oh, that is just wrong:guilty: But, I feel for ya, DH is the same way.

OK! So what IS the wall of death- sounds like I NEED to see it for myself!:cool1:

I guess my real taste in metal is more...I dunno..."fun/spooky/stupid". I'm a total loser for Wednesday 13 so if you're familiar with him then you get where I'm coming from*

We saw Wednesday 13 with Type O in the summer. DH really liked them. I thought they were a little "poppy" for my taste, but they put on a good show!

Cheesy can also be fun, and I guess 70's KISS being my all-time favorite band probably says it all. I don't tend to take my music all that seriously.

Kiss was the very first concert I saw when I was 12! The real Kiss, at the time when no one ever saw them without their make-up! I cannot even remember how many times we saw them!

I couldn't agree with you more regarding All That Remains they were so promising when they first started out but as you said have since gotten really soft..Not just in sound because heavy doesn't always mean better but the overall song quality has greatly diminished....The last time I saw Lamb of God the "wall of death" was very much in play indeed..I'm too old for that stuff now I just step aside and let it pass me by :goodvibes

I only mosh when the music really grabs a hold of me like the first time I saw Amon Amarth they were so intense that I started tons of pits, pushes and circles...Johan even pointed me out and was like "now this is what we expect out of you Americans" grabbed his Horn and cheered me with it and took a huge swig...They have the best encore song ever with Death in Fire makes you want to pit hardcore :jumping1:

I like watching the walls from far, far away. I'm not brave enough to get anywhere near one. And I'm old and could possibly break a hip or something.

I tend to stay out of pits for the same reason. And I'm a chick, so I'd probably get my butt kicked.
NOTHING could be worse than when I saw them on the ReLoad tour
Totally agree with you there. That tour sucked.
Glad to see you found us! Long time no speak! :yay:
I know! So nice to see you again!
I like totally just noticed this thread!~
Black metal...black metal....let's see...

Well, I did see Cradle of Filth last year when they came through, but I just sorta went along for the ride. I was moreso there to see the 69 Eyes than anything lol. I'll listen to a little bit of old Dimmu now and again, but just once in awhile. I guess my real taste in metal is more...I dunno..."fun/spooky/stupid". I'm a total loser for Wednesday 13 so if you're familiar with him then you get where I'm coming from*

A little goth now and again's alright, though sometimes it can get annoying. Type O's great though and I also love the Newlydeads. I'll be going to see Children of Bodom in May too so I'm really looking forward to that. Haven't seen them since the Megadeth show last year which was reeeaaallllly fun! I don't care what genre of metal you're into. Anyone could have gone to that show and had a great time (unless well, I guess....maybe....Metallica fans). In Flames was awesome and I'm not even into them~

But we can't forget our roots. I'm also a sucker for hair bands and the like. Yes, cringe all you like but it's true. I love me some Ratt<3 And Tigertailz. Lest we not forget them! Cheesy can also be fun, and I guess 70's KISS being my all-time favorite band probably says it all. I don't tend to take my music all that seriously.

Anyway yeah. Another metal-head here. I'll be lurking around and seeing what everybody's up to :) Pleasure to meet you all.
I like a little bit of all kinds of metal, so I know everyone you're talking about. I like Wednesday 13, too. Had a chance to see him a few years ago, but I passed it up for an evening of relaxation in the hot tub. Plus, I had to be up super early for Ozzfest the next day. That's when it started at 9 a.m., we were in line at probably 7 a.m. for our pit wristbands, so we were up at about 5.

But I'm with you on the cheesy stuff, too. Although, if I'm driving down the highway, I prefer to listen to something heavier.

And I named my daughter Shandi Beth after two Kiss songs, but don't tell anyone.
DH is not so "dramatic" about bands as I am :rotfl2: H elikes the music and enjoys seeing the bands, but it is not necessary for him- for me? I like to see more!

So where do you live that you would come to Philly!!?

I had plans on getting my Testament tix on Sunday, that did not work out well. I never made it into the city- BUT- we are going over tomorrow night to see a sneak preview of A Haunting in CT and maybe we can swing by the Troc and see what's up!

Now, with a description like that? I MUST add them to my "must see" list!!!!! Many people do not find that to be a good thing!:rotfl2: But me, I would find that to be quite awesome!:lmao:

I hope they play "Til Death Do Us Part" I always said to DH I wanted that as our wedding song! Maybe we can do a romatic toxic waltz around the joint when they play it!:thumbsup2

So they are still having decent bands at the HOB- remember last year they were going to cut some out (what? b/c of the "riff raff"?):sad2:

Wait- did I read that right?..........you have to CONVINCE your DW to extent an already LONG Disney vacation!!!!!!??:scared1: Oh, that is just wrong:guilty: But, I feel for ya, DH is the same way.

OK! So what IS the wall of death- sounds like I NEED to see it for myself!:cool1:

We saw Wednesday 13 with Type O in the summer. DH really liked them. I thought they were a little "poppy" for my taste, but they put on a good show!

Kiss was the very first concert I saw when I was 12! The real Kiss, at the time when no one ever saw them without their make-up! I cannot even remember how many times we saw them!

I see. At least you can get your husband to go with you. Mine won't have anything to do with it, unless its the cheesy 80s bands. I've managed to get him to see Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Kiss, Poison, and Jackyl.:lmao:

I'm closer to Pittsburgh than Philly, but like I said, I mostly do concerts in VA, so its nothing for me to travel.

Check out this link to find out more about a wall of death. You know you wanna be the guy in the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqK_0BbZGJY&feature=related

I know some of you are going to see Exodus and Warbringer soon, so I thought I'd share some of my pictures from last year's tour. I have tons more, but the lighting in Jaxx sucks, so the pictures end up coming out sucky, too.

Demolition Faction

Exodus016.jpg

Exodus022.jpg

Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

Exodus023.jpg

Exodus033.jpg

Warbringer

Exodus037.jpg

Exodus038.jpg

Exodus039.jpg

Arsis

Exodus041.jpg

Exodus043.jpg

Exodus046.jpg

Can't say the name of this band on the family friendly DISboards, but you all know who they are

Exodus048.jpg

Exodus051.jpg

Exodus052.jpg

Exodus056.jpg

And Exodus

I can never get a decent picture of Jack Gibson. He's always got his hair in front of his face.

Exodus057.jpg

Exodus060.jpg

Exodus062.jpg

Exodus064.jpg

Exodus066.jpg

Lee's got the same problem

Exodus067.jpg

Exodus071.jpg

Exodus072.jpg

I too enjoy all of those Prog Rock/Metal bands you mentioned!! Dream Theater are in my top 20 favorite bands of all time and are AMAZING live...I will never forget seeing them on the Scenes from a memory tour when they played it from start to finish...

The Metropolis 2000 tour is probably my greatest concert experience. Back in the day, I used to dabble in indie film production with some friends. I ended up working with Mike Portnoy directly to clear any legal issues using DT graphics, likeness, etc. in some of our footage. To make a long story short, Portnoy hooked me up with backstage passes for the Philly show at the Electric Factory. We got to sit in a private balcony area with DT's family/friends for the big show. Freakin' incredible seeing Met II along with the project story on the big screen. Afterwards they had beer/food backstage with the bands. The Dixie Dregs opened for DT on that tour, so I got to meet Steve Morse, who is a guitar idol for me (along with Petrucci). All the guys were so friendly, and it really wasn't a meet/greet, it was just the bands and family members hanging out. Definately an unforgettable experience.

The Metropolis 2000 tour is probably my greatest concert experience. Back in the day, I used to dabble in indie film production with some friends. I ended up working with Mike Portnoy directly to clear any legal issues using DT graphics, likeness, etc. in some of our footage. To make a long story short, Portnoy hooked me up with backstage passes for the Philly show at the Electric Factory. We got to sit in a private balcony area with DT's family/friends for the big show. Freakin' incredible seeing Met II along with the project story on the big screen. Afterwards they had beer/food backstage with the bands. The Dixie Dregs opened for DT on that tour, so I got to meet Steve Morse, who is a guitar idol for me (along with Petrucci). All the guys were so friendly, and it really wasn't a meet/greet, it was just the bands and family members hanging out. Definately an unforgettable experience.

That's absolutely amazing!! I got to drink with Manowar once which was the coolest experience that I have had but yours blows mine out of the water!!!

BTW I enjoyed I met up with my girl Mary the other night for the first time since my high school days we're talking 10 years and listened to the new Mastadon album let me tell you I heard things I've never heard before. She helped me to see the music absolutely unbelievable album.... pixiedust:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter