Ants!!!

Glad to hear Disney was spraying...We're heading down in June on my Husband's first trip to the Fort, so hopefully the ants will be under control by then!:goodvibes I'm grateful for everyone's helpful advice! Thanks!

Used this trick, never had ants. Vaseline, the ants won't cross it. Put it on stabilizers where they touch frame, front jack, on axles between tire and spring, around water hose, power cable, and sewage line. Make sure you leave no way around. Good thing about vaseline, it will not wash away if there is rain, powders do. You can clean it off when you get home with high pressure water, and it won't damage camper. Weird I know, but so far no ants.

Used this trick, never had ants. Vaseline, the ants won't cross it. Put it on stabilizers where they touch frame, front jack, on axles between tire and spring, around water hose, power cable, and sewage line. Make sure you leave no way around. Good thing about vaseline, it will not wash away if there is rain, powders do. You can clean it off when you get home with high pressure water, and it won't damage camper. Weird I know, but so far no ants.

wassup, tiggerdad?

Bama ED

Anyone try using lemons? Supposedly ants hate them and will stay away... Always looking for something healthier with little kids running around!

Love the Vaseline idea. Was wondering what happens when it rains - any powder or spray would wash away!

I was also thinking about the electric and water cables and trying to find a good way to protect those. Was thinking of wrapping around some duct tape - sticky side up - after getting it started. Vaseline sounds much easier!

Those buggers will sacrifice some of their own, on your sticky side up tape, and walk right over 'em like a bridge!

I've seen this when ants want to cross a body of water... unbelievable.

bama_ed said:
wassup, tiggerdad?

Bama ED

Wasting away working on a Family Nurse Practitioner degree. Hardly have time to eat, much less post. Good to hear from ya. Maybe some freedom say around May 2014.

loislane said:
Love the Vaseline idea. Was wondering what happens when it rains - any powder or spray would wash away!

I was also thinking about the electric and water cables and trying to find a good way to protect those. Was thinking of wrapping around some duct tape - sticky side up - after getting it started. Vaseline sounds much easier!

Make sure to wipe it off with paper towel before storing to keep vaseline out of your storage space. Use rubber gloves when applying, makes cleaning your hands easier.

Wasting away working on a Family Nurse Practitioner degree. Hardly have time to eat, much less post. Good to hear from ya. Maybe some freedom say around May 2014.

Wow. Good for you. So May-14 is the light at the end of the tunnel? You'll need to celebrate with a trip to the FORT. :cool1:

Bama ED

bama_ed said:
Wow. Good for you. So May-14 is the light at the end of the tunnel? You'll need to celebrate with a trip to the FORT. :cool1:

Bama ED

I have every intention. My first visit was too hurried. Wanna sit and enjoy it more this time. Maybe get with ya and meet up down there. Take care

We also were at the fort in January.Did not carry any firewood either. We were staying in the 800 loop. While there we noticed the site next to us was being sprayed a couple of times during that week. All the trees around that RV were also being sprayed! Then we started to see ants in our RV! We were on a outside loop anyway when we got to our next stop, also in Fl we discovered MORE Ants!:confused3 We have never had ants before! Had to buy spray which finally took care of the matter, WE HOPE!

We also were there in Jan. We stayed on a outside loop in the 800 loop area.
Very nice. While there we noticed the site next to us was being sprayed a couple of times during that week.We also started to see ants..Bought some spray and it seemed to work...Arrived at our next stop ,also in Florida, and saw more ants! We have never had this problem at the fort before..What is going on..Why spray someplaces and not that loop or at least people next to that area?This is suppose to be a premium loop! No firewood was brought with us..Have sprayed a few more times and have not seen any more ants yet! Hopefully the problem is sloved:confused3

bama_ed said:
I went down and looked in the camper. It is a green tube of Ortho "Ants B Gone" and i got it at either Home Depot Or WalMart. Another i have used is Sevin powder.

Bama ED

Sevin powder is really good. We use it in our garden because ants like to eat our fruits and veggies.

Ants can be nasty and my inlaws just had their floor replaced in their pop up for a second time
(To the tune of 1800.00 each time) because of carpenter ants tunneling through the floors. They do a lot of damage, much more than I ever realized they would do.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

When we were down a few years back, they were putting sand around all the campsites. Not a shovels but dumptrucks loads - 12/2010.

I take the sand was to smuther and keep vegitation down. I wonder if they have built a HUGE ant campground from all the sand they put down??

Do we have any Myrmecologist out there (AKA people who study ants?)

Long live Flik:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter