Another where to buy dilemma and rambling post

4luv2cdisney

DIS Veteran
We currently own and are happy with BWV. However, I happen to hate the busses and we don't rent a car. So, we intended on adding a monorail resort for split stays. We also wanted a resort with a longer end date in case we live to be 100 or our kids want our points....lol

Our resort of choice was to be BLT. However, recent DVC actions have us worried about future point reallocation. So, I am not really too eager to buy anywhere without dedicated studios. I'm really just kind of afraid of how far they can take the "lock-off premium". That leaves PVB which is also a risk (in my mind) because of possible bungalow reallocation.

What's a girl to do?

I had gone into panic mode when I heard about price increases and resale restrictions and called my guide for points. Nothing available, so we went on waitlist for BWV, BLT and SSR. He called today offering SSR.

We could use SSR to try to get whatever we can at 7 months. I really don't even mind staying at SSR - we hit Disney Springs 1 or 2 times per trip so it would still allow us to at least avoid a bus ride or 2 per trip. I'm having a hard time reconciling the fact that SSR preferred would cost as many points or much more than our BWV nights and possibly what BLT standard would be...

I don't know... Maybe I'm picking unfortunate dates but the SSR point charts are looking kinda high to me. And they could also take another major lock off premium hit.

So, I guess I'm not really "feeling it" right now.

A few days ago I was like "I need more points NOW!!". Today, I don't know what i want. If anything. Except maybe more BWV. Which I would just buy resale I guess at this point.

Ugh.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
The BLT studios are small, if that helps make your decision any easier. I own there and love it, but some have complained about them.
Poly scares me because almost everybody completes over the studios, with limited availability.

The BLT studios are small, if that helps make your decision any easier. I own there and love it, but some have complained about them.
Poly scares me because almost everybody completes over the studios, with limited availability.

Stayed at BLT once for two nights in a studio. I think small is generous. There were only two of us and I could not imagine staying in one for a week. We also own BWV, but we now tend to stay in one bedrooms if two of us and two bedrooms if three or more. We bought our first points with the intention of staying in studios. We quickly decided we wanted to be comfortable on vacation. We added on several more contracts. We are also not fans of split stays as you lose a whole day moving. BWV is an easy walk to two parks and we only to bus to two. If you can get standard view the points are cheap.

We also have BRV points we use to stay other places. Loved the one bedroom at VGC. Lots of points so four of us were in a one bedroom. It was huge and had two full baths. Stayed at Saratoga in a one bedroom for a week, but we only did two park days. That cured me of ever staying at a resort that only has bus access to parks.

My advice is to chill and try out some other resorts before you buy more points. There really is no need to buy direct as your current points will get you into the new resorts so you can try before you buy.

For you to consider:

What transportation are you comfortable using on property?

Which resorts offer that for the venues you want to visit?

Are those resorts generally available at 7 months?

How many points are required to stay at those resorts for the time of year and length of stay you prefer?

Those answers may assist you to sort out what to do.

First, why would you buy SSR direct? Or BLT? But BWV would be resale?

Second - your first reason listed was that you hate the buses. To get to any parks from SSR it's always buses. Also, SSR has no dedicated studios or 1BR's either so it's may be open to the same thing that is a concern at BLT so it doesn't appear to check that box either. The standard view rooms at SSR should be pretty comparable to OKW though - some of the lower on property.

It sounds like you're letting the announcement greatly influence the direction more than what or where you'd really like to own.

I'm not sure why you're focused on dedicated studios. Didn't the Polynesian owners with their dedicated studios get screwed the most in the big point shuffle?

You have points at BWV already and (I assume) a blue DVC card. There is no reason for you to buy direct. None. You can use your resale points at the 14 current resorts and your BWV points at the upcoming resorts. Save your money and buy resale in a couple of months when the new rules go into effect and prices come back down a little.

First, why would you buy SSR direct? Or BLT? But BWV would be resale?

Second - your first reason listed was that you hate the buses. To get to any parks from SSR it's always buses. Also, SSR has no dedicated studios or 1BR's either so it's may be open to the same thing that is a concern at BLT so it doesn't appear to check that box either. The standard view rooms at SSR should be pretty comparable to OKW though - some of the lower on property.

It sounds like you're letting the announcement greatly influence the direction more than what or where you'd really like to own.

I was on waitlist for BLT, BWV and SSR - buying direct because I would like more points than what I have for use at New resorts since I have no current intentions of buying any new ones. My comment as to buying BWV resale was just because I know I'm happy with BWV if I can't switch a few nights to split stay but those points are not available right now and I won't pay after the price increases.

SSR would eliminate busses when we visit DS - which is better than nothing. We would only be split staying at SSR so my thought was I'd be eliminating busses on my DS day instead of my MK day(s). No matter what I will bus somewhere.

And yes, my concern with SSR is rising points charts - same as BLT. I'd only stay preferred at SSR and standard at BLT.

Basically, the current crap messed with my plan. So, yes, I'm letting it influence my decisions right now.

Also, as to buying Direct in general, when looking for 40-60 points, resale is not a huge savings. At leas t hasn't been the past 18 months.

Last edited:

I'm not sure why you're focused on dedicated studios. Didn't the Polynesian owners with their dedicated studios get screwed the most in the big point shuffle?

You have points at BWV already and (I assume) a blue DVC card. There is no reason for you to buy direct. None. You can use your resale points at the 14 current resorts and your BWV points at the upcoming resorts. Save your money and buy resale in a couple of months when the new rules go into effect and prices come back down a little.

Yes, I mentioned being concerned about poly for that reason and that's why it's not on my list. At the moment, from how I'm understanding things, DVC is utilizing a lock off premium to inflate the costs of studios and 1 bedrooms and it is easier to do at resorts with no dedicated studios/1 bedrooms. Time will tell, but I need to take or pass on these SSR points right now. It's confusing and I don't want to be mad at myself after Wedhesdsy!I

Yes I have BWV points (and a blue card) but not a lot and I'm guessing the points charts for new resorts will be high. So I did want to add on now. I have not been able to grab a small contract in my use year since the announcement. There have been larger contracts, but I'm only buying with what I have in my vacation fund and disposable cash on hand.

I was on waitlist for BLT, BWV and SSR - buying direct because I would like more points than what I have for use at New resorts since I have no current intentions of buying any new ones. My comment as to buying BWV resale was just because I know I'm happy with BWV if I can't switch a few nights to split stay but those points are not available right now and I won't pay after the price increases.

SSR would eliminate busses when we visit DS - which is better than nothing. We would only be split staying at SSR so my thought was I'd be eliminating busses on my DS day instead of my MK day(s). No matter what I will bus somewhere.

And yes, my concern with SSR is rising points charts - same as BLT. I'd only stay preferred at SSR and standard at BLT.

Basically, the current crap messed with my plan. So, yes, I'm letting it influence my decisions right now.

Also, as to buying Direct in general, when looking for 40-60 points, resale is not a huge savings. At leas t hasn't been the past 18 months.

I know dues of course are part of the equation but the difference in direct prices vs resale will typically allow a larger resale although the 60 point may already be considering that?

However, just to point out, as I understand it SSR is not going to be increasing in price much at all. Direct after the 19th will get you the new resorts too. I think I'd wait and see if that contract you'd prefer pops up in time before the 19th. And if not you can revisit SSR anytime after that.

Whatever you decide, would you mind to ask a copy of the SSR POS to your guide? He should give it to you as a prospective buyer. Even better is it's an electronic copy, so you can easily share it. Thanks :)

I didn't realize Poly was that difficult to get into if you owned there. We prefer studios (2 adults/0 kids) so figured Poly would be the best fit. For example, I was looking at October last week and availability was wide open.

I didn't realize Poly was that difficult to get into if you owned there. We prefer studios (2 adults/0 kids) so figured Poly would be the best fit. For example, I was looking at October last week and availability was wide open.

I was able to get in there at 7 months two times, so it may not be too bad. Just a variable to keep in mind m

They are not difficult at all at 11 months. They do have the same first week/second week of December issue as all other resorts but that's about it.

Whatever you decide, would you mind to ask a copy of the SSR POS to your guide? He should give it to you as a prospective buyer. Even better is it's an electronic copy, so you can easily share it. Thanks :)

I asked by email for a copy (preferably electronic) and he replied that they are limited in what they can communicate over email . Later, by phone , I asked again and he said " you have one from your previous purchase " and I said what about for SSR and he said you'll get it with your paperwork we send.

However, tonight we decided to pass on the points. So, I won't be getting any documents. Sorry @zavandor

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!