Another Method of Fixing VMK

BlueHairedMonkey

Software Engineer / Weekly Disney World Visitor
A couple of days ago, my laptop computer refused to load vmk. I tried vmk Pal, and firefox and opera and internet explorer. No logo, no nothing. So, I turned to this site and followed the important links section on what to do when you have login problems.

I uninstalled shockwave and flash. Cleared my cookies and temporary internet files. Upgraded my internet explorer to 7.0. Reinstalled shockwave and flash. And what do you know? It still didn't work. A black screen of death still appeared no matter how long I waited.

So I assumed I was going to have a great excuse to get a new laptop, but no. I figured it out. Somehow the Macromedia Director file that runs vmk got damaged and clearing temp files did nothing.

I typed in the following in my Internet Explorer browser to reload the vmk framework:
http://download.virtualmagickingdom.com/client_m1_p1/framework.dcr

I saw the logo, then the black screen.

Then I loaded vmk normally through their login page, and Bam! I'm back in business. Hopefully this will help somebody, someday. Most likely I'll come back to this post because I will have forgotten what I did.

Fear the monkey...

[Additional Help if the above doesn't work]
---------------------------------------------
Another method of fixing VMK, by simply deleting all of its traces is to find the location of all [cct] files on your computer and delete them.

Probably the easiest way to find these files is to search for them, by choosing your Start button, then Search, then Files and Folders.

- For the filename type in *.cct
- Look in: your Local Hard Drives (C:\)
- In Advanced options choose "Search system folders", "Search hidden files and folders", and "Search subfolders"
- Click the search button.

This will take a while, but when it is done, it should have found many thousands of .cct files that can be safely deleted. These files are all of the images, code, etc for VMK. Don't worry about deleting them though.

- Reboot your computer.
- Try and log into VMK using any browser.

You should be good to go.

Thanks for the tip! Maybe Aengus or Disvaclub could add this to the appropriate sticky at the top for others' future reference. Glad you got back in! :cool1:

Woot for the cowboy! I will have to remember where this is so when I need it, I can show it to those in my house who understand what you wrote! That would be most everyone other than Dory.

Yes, please do sticky this. Earlier today I couldn't load vmk. First time this has happened to me since I started playing VMK. I followed the suggestions in the important links tech problems sticky....uninstalled both shockwave and flash.....cleared history, cookies, and temp files.....black screen of death over and over. I did this numerous times, getting my download links from different places, doing it all in different orders. Suddenly, something loaded differently, and now I'm back in business :)

I'm glad you found a fix. I'll try your suggestion if it ever happens to me again.

I added a link in the important threads sticky :thumbsup2

Really don't think I have anything to fear from a cowboy that rides a pink pony ;)

Obviously you don't understand ponies. That pony doesn't eat hay and alfalfa like his friends out in the pasture, but he sure gobbles up quarters and kicks like you wouldn't believe. I must have spent $30 breaking him in. He is now safe to ride for all the children in Denver. That my friend, is how small town heroes are made...

"Taco" and I on an advertising billboard in Times Square:
billboard1.jpg

Obviously you don't understand ponies. That pony doesn't eat hay and alfalfa like his friends out in the pasture, but he sure gobbles up quarters and kicks like you wouldn't believe. I must have spent $30 breaking him in. He is now safe to ride for all the children in Denver. That my friend, is how small town heroes are made...

"Taco" and I on an advertising billboard in Times Square:
billboard1.jpg

You ride a PINK pony! AND it was on a billboard!! :lmao:

I believe your wussification is thoroughly complete :thumbsup2 Care for a game of flag? ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter