ANNUAL READING GOAL CHALLENGE for 2015!

Finished #29 of 30, Front Row by Rebekah N Bryan. It was a freebie in exchange for a review. Unfortunately it wasn't very good. I didn't like any of the characters and there wasn't much of a story. Hoping to squeeze in one more book by the end of the year.

13 (15 if counting audibooks) of 12: Star Wars: Before the Awakening by Greg Rucka

A companion piece to the "Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens" character novels, Star Wars: Before the Awakening is an anthology book that focuses on the lives of Rey, Finn, and Poe before the events of the Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

goodreads

A young reader novel divided into three parts to tell stories about the lives of Finn, Rey, and Poe before the beginning of the movie The Force Awakens. Do not read this book until you have seen the movie. Finn received the most character development, and we learned a lot about the state of the galaxy in Poe's story. Rey's story was the least informative, but was still an interesting look into the day-to-day life of being a scavenger on a desert planet.

4 out of 5.

Last edited:
Really? And it's canon? True authorized character background info?
Hmm, I may have to read it. I love the 3 new characters and would like to get more info on their back stories.

32/40 - A Christmas Beginning, Ann Perry. A perfect little book for this time of year - a 'light' murder mystery and an enjoyable, quick read for a busy time of year.

I'm starting to think I just might make my goal!!

33/40 - Not in the Flesh, Ruth Rendell - one of a continuing character series - lots of quirky characters.

34/50 - A Christmas Escape
35/40 - A Christmas Beginning - both Anne Perry, characters from her William Monk series go off on Christmas breaks, but can't escape their profession.

#42/50: How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease by Michael Greger, MD. Great Book! Highly recommended for anyone looking to find out more about how most foods affect your body. Easily readable for the layman and the author has a good sense of humor. Heavily plant-based diet for reversing disease.

#43/50: Career of Evil by Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling). This is third is a series of ???. Very good third book as another poster upthread commented. I think this is my favorite, so far, of the series. I read it most of yesterday and today and it was a bit of a page turner.

Next up: What Pretty Girls are Made Of and Boys in the Trees (Carly Simon memoir). I don't think I'm going to finish by the December 31st! Definitely won't make my goal.

Well Goodreads told me that I met my goal of 50 books this year.

I think for 2016 I will reduce it to 40 or 45 as some of the books I read and review are childrens books and I havent won alot of them lately.

The best book I read was The Art of Losing Yourself by Kate Ganshert

15. The Kingmaker's Daughter (The Cousin's War #4) - Phillipa Gregory 3.5/5

From Goodreads -

Spies, poison, and curses surround her...

Is there anyone she can trust?

The Kingmaker's Daughter is the gripping story of the daughters of the man known as the "Kingmaker," Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick: the most powerful magnate in fifteenth-century England. Without a son and heir, he uses his daughters, Anne and Isabel as pawns in his political games, and they grow up to be influential players in their own right. In this novel, her first sister story since The Other Boleyn Girl, Philippa Gregory explores the lives of two fascinating young women.

At the court of Edward IV and his beautiful queen, Elizabeth Woodville, Anne grows from a delightful child to become ever more fearful and desperate when her father makes war on his former friends. Married at age fourteen, she is soon left widowed and fatherless, her mother in sanctuary and her sister married to the enemy. Anne manages her own escape by marrying Richard, Duke of Gloucester, but her choice will set her on a collision course with the overwhelming power of the royal family and will cost the lives of those she loves most in the world, including her precious only son, Prince Edward. Ultimately, the kingmaker's daughter will achieve her father's greatest ambition.

I haven't posted on here in ages-posted all through the 2013 and 2014 threads but hardly at all this year. I read 80 books this year. Top 5 off the top of my head are:-

Good Omens by Terry Prachett and Neil Gaiman
A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson
The Golden Chord by Geraldine Brooks
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
At The Water's Edge by Sara Gruen

I haven't posted on here in ages-posted all through the 2013 and 2014 threads but hardly at all this year. I read 80 books this year. Top 5 off the top of my head are:-

Good Omens by Terry Prachett and Neil Gaiman
A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson
The Golden Chord by Geraldine Brooks
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
At The Water's Edge by Sara Gruen

Good Omens is such a great book

Finished book #91 - North! Or Be Eaten by Andrew Peterson

This is book 2 of the Wingfeather Saga. Still enjoying it.

Janner, Tink, and Leeli Igiby thought they were normal children with normal lives and a normal past. But now they know they’re really the Lost Jewels of Anniera, heirs to a legendary kingdom across the sea, and suddenly everyone wants to kill them.
In order to survive, the Igibys must flee to the safety of the Ice Prairies, where the lizardlike Fangs of Dang cannot follow. First, however, they have to escape the monsters of Glipwood Forest, 2. the thieving Stranders of the East Bend, and 3. the dreaded Fork Factory.
But even more dangerous are the jealousies and bitterness that threaten to tear them apart, and Janner and his siblings must learn the hard way that the love of a family is more important than anything else.

#13 In Cold Blood - Had old version from my mom's house. 1st printing but a bookclub version, so I don't think 1st printing means anything.
Just an amazing book I finished last night and I think I am going to spend all day today reading about the real case. The writing is incredible and the story itself so captivating, as horrible as it was.
Sadly, I had no idea that it was a real case until right before I started reading.
#14 Reigning - (by me) - Counting it, in hopes of getting to my 15 goal. After all, I have reread it about 5 times now. As for my review. I can only assume the author is on some form of medication or suffered a severe head trauma.

As always, anyone interested in reading" Reigning", "Written for You", "Cemetery Girl" or "Three Twigs for the Campfire", let me know, for, I would gladly send kindle gift versions.

88. Dick Francis's Gamble by Felix Francis
Dick Francis wrote many many mysteries based on horse racing in England. This book was written by his son, Felix. Still a solid mystery based in an area I don't normally experience.

89. The Magician's Land by Lev Grossman
This is the third in a series following several characters from college through young adult life. The series is sort of a mix between Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Naria except more mature. You must read the whole series or this book doesn't make much sense. I liked this installment better than the second.

90. Gray Mountain by John Grisham
When a young corporate lawyer from DC gets laid off she is forced to take a job in a free clinic in the mountains of Virginia. Its an interesting story of the cases she deals with and how she grows and changes her perspective during her short time there.

91. Finders Keepers by Stephen King
This is the second in the Bill Hodges series. It is a little different from the first but good. King does a lot of bringing story elements from the first book into this one but the story still stands on its own.

92. The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror by Christopher Moore
I thought this would be a cute little Christmas story...it's not cute! BUT it is really funny in an ironic way. I cant even describe it. It was ricidulous but hilarious at the same time.

93. Gingerbread Cookie Murder by Joanne Fluke
This was a cozy mystery starring Hannah Swenson. It was cute, fluffy and had a lot of good recipes.

I think that will be it for the year. I haven't finished anything since Dec 18 and I'm not in a reading mood right now.

Looking back over my list I didn't really have a favorite or outstanding book for this year.

#45/45: Secrets of a Charmed Life by Susan Meissner (4.5/5)
Historical fiction during the child evacuation in London told through interview flashbacks

#46/45: The Girl in the Spider's Web by David Lagercrantz (4.5/5)
4th in the series written by another author/slow start, but picked up

Not sure if I had anything as that was super wow this year, but there were many that I did enjoy.

I resolved (at beginning of year) to post more updates/reviews. FAIL
My goal was 85 books. FAIL (only read 79)
I will lower my goal a bit for 2016 and try again

Boy, what was it with 2015 and our choices of books? lol

Goodreads had Nightingale by Kristin Hannah on their list for best fiction 2015 so I've added that one. Also added Good Omens and At Waters Edge (both recommended in prior posts).

Let's hope for a greater 2016!

Are you starting a new thread for 2016? I didn't join in with this one but I did the year prior and I really missed it this year (although I have been following along and picking up a few recommendations).

68 of 72 or maybe 72 of 72

Wool Omnibus by Hugh Howey

This is the first 5 Wool books in one volume so if I count it as 5 books it puts me right at goal and if I count it as 1 book I fall short, lol.
Just started another really short book that I may or may not finish before the 31st.
Will have to go back over my list to pick out my favorite from the year.

33/40 - Not in the Flesh, Ruth Rendell - one of a continuing character series - lots of quirky characters.

34/50 - A Christmas Escape
35/40 - A Christmas Beginning - both Anne Perry, characters from her William Monk series go off on Christmas breaks, but can't escape their profession.

36/40 - Still Life, Louise Penny, a new author for me - well written, interesting characters and setting (outside Montreal), quite an enjoyable read!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter