Annual Pass holder lack of loyalty?

PantherBill

Earning My Ears
Hello fellow passholders. And everyone else.

First I would like to say how nice it is to find this forum with all you fine people. Read most of the posts last night at work and found very informative..

Anyways, was wondering if any other annual passholders are feeling like Disney is shutting them out on the new promotions that they are offering?

After reading last night about the new fairytale package that is going to be offered to the public I thought I would call DW and reserve a room before they are all gone.
I told the lady that I am a passholder and what the discount would be? She informed me that there is no discount for the dates (July 4 - 19th) I had chosen. (Boy when they we pitching the PAP's they never informed me about date restrictions)

I showed Disney my loyalty in purchasing pap's now I wish they would show their loyalty to us and offer all of us annual passholders a offer as the fairy tale package that is going to be offered to the general public is no good to us LOYAL annual passholders.

I am sure many of you feel the same???

Take care

If I was an AP holder I sure would feel the same.

Disney has lost their loyalty to the AP from a business perspective. I can only guess the Fairytale package was targeted to the regular public with no AP, DVC, etc so they can get them into the theme parks. If they can get them there and turn a few into AP & DVC that is awesome for disney. Also, right now, DVCer's and APer' are not filling up the parks, disney must go after new people to fill these parks because the AP & DVC are not cutting it. It makes sense to think a regular/loyal visitor does not spend as much money as a newbie who is basically a little kid in a candy store. Newbies don't understand discount codes, don't know the best ways to save money, haven't made the purchasing mistakes, and typically will spend money as if this were a once in a lifetime trip.

The experiment is near, must run.

I think you do have a point.

Mary at mousesavers.com said that she expects Disney to sell out of most of their rooms with this package. Whether this will actually happen or not, I don't know.

Does this mean that there will be few discounts for AP holders? Again, I don't know.

I guess they could have offered AP rates at the same time but they would have had a lot of people booking those instead of this package.

I hope you do see some discounts for when you travel. I understand your point about showing loyalty. I know some people think AP's should be purchased without the expectation of discounts but the last few years have been so good to AP holders it's hard to imagine not seeing them.

If you feel strongly about your position, let Disney know. You sound like a reasonable person who could express your concern in a constructive way to Disney. You never know, maybe they will contact you.

Patience is a virtue you know.;)

They just released AP rates for dates up to 7/4 a week or so ago. Historically, AP rates are not released until the last minute, so to speak. They released them very early last year, but that was highly unusual.

I'm one who doesn't believe that they are going to fill up the resorts with this current offer. I think it will do what I believe Disney intends it to do....attract guests who normally don't spend their entire trip at WDW and attract those who have either never been or don't go often.

There was a lot of complaining about the "late" release of AP rates for the early summer right up until they were released. I was one who questioned why. I think it's because they intend to go back to how they always did AP rates...last minute, deep discounts.

I see no problem with offering this discount. DC members are as loyal to WDW as AP holders or any other group and they've long been denied any significant resort discounts.

We were thinking about getting them for DD and myself. Now however it doesn't seem like such a great deal. I understand why Disney is offering such a deal but I still think that they havn't treated the passholders fair. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I don't have an AP (I wish I lived close enough to be able to make use of one) but I can't see Disney "not" doing something for AP guests. If there are no perks for AP passholders, I think the purchase of these passes will go down & I don't think they want that to happen. If people can purchase a ticket and visit as often as they like, then Disney makes extra $$ on hotels & food.

I think you'll probably see something soon but I just don't feel the CMs can handle anything else with this new package right now. They're haveing a hard time & there's a lot of confusion (I think because they've never done a package like this before). I could be wrong but I don't think they'll "sell out" their rooms & room codes will probably still come.

JMHO.

This has happened before.
When the last set of discounts came out everyone said that AP people were missing out on the deals and everyone started to get mad.
Then low and behold AP discounts came out. I have to say the APs seem to come out later then the others so I am still hoping for the discounts. I think that they will be out in the next couple of weeks. I think no later then june. I have been known to be wrong before though. (Dont tell anyone):o

I feel exactly the same. This new offer is of no use to us at all and it does feel as if we're being shut out.

Even though we're DVC members we still enjoy staying at the different resorts and have travelled two or three (or more!) times per year. We are only able to do this because we purchase AP's every year and take advantage of the AP discount rates at the resorts.

We have a second trip planned for June/July of this year and no others in the works. This is very unusual for us. We would normally be planning something for the September/October timeframe, but with the likelihood of AP discounts being unavailable, we'll skip it this year.

Unfortunately, it's beginning to look as if we'll be reducing our WDW travel to once per year--using our DVC points and a four-day pass through Shades of Green. We've been to the Disney parks hundreds of times and now only re-visit favorite attractions or have meals at our favorite restaurants. A four-day pass for a yearly trip is plenty.

I'll miss having meals at some of the Epcot restaurants, but will enjoy finding new places away from WDW. We haven't been to Universal and Sea World in years and have never been to Islands of Adventure. We'll most likely spend some time there.

What's the point in being loyal to a company when they do nothing but turn their back on you? If things continue on the downward slide for their loyal customers, we'll just use our DVC membership to travel elsewhere.

Personally, I think that Disney does not owe anyone anything, except for what they pay for. For example, if you purchase an annual pass then you are "owed" unlimited admission for one year. That sounds like a pretty good perk to me. Pay $400 - $500 and get to go into the parks for as many days as you want for a year. Where in Disney's advertising does it say that you are entitled to more than that? Any additional discounts are just a nice extra.

Also, why should DVC or AP holders be "owed" more than any other guest at WDW. You get what you pay for. There seems to be a mentallity here that DVC folks or AP holders are the elite of WDW guests and think of themselves as some kind of VIP. I am saying this as a PAP holder myself. I think I have it going on because when I'm at WDW I can walk in and out of any park on any day, I think that's pretty cool. I am not owed the best of the best in resort discounts.

I think the problem is that because of Disney's struggles in the weak economy, we have all gotten use to incredible discounts, and are now SPOILED because of them. In fact, we now plan our vacation budgets based on discounts that we expect that we will get.

For BrianD-

You have a valid point. However Disney's sell pitch for AP and PAP is that there will be room discounts, dinning discounts and other advantages to whom ever wishes to purchase them.

I have Ap vouchers for the whole family this year. Since we are staying 12 days this year it makes sense. My thinking is next year we will vacation earlier and use the passes again. Two sets of vacations for the price of 1 set of passes.

I am hoping for AP Discounts though. To me they should offer the rooms at the same discount rate as the FT package. Entice the captive Audience to come back and fill the parks first. Their goal is to fill rooms onsite. Their loayal customers the DC and the AP people should get equal billing. Then fill the remainder of the resorts with the FT package blitz. The result is the same but the loyalist get first pick.

Just my thought

Good luck every one
I still belive in the Codes comming!

Hopefully we dont end up like Linus with the great pumpkin!

I have never bought APs before so I dont think I am any better then anyone else.
I bought them because I will be going twice this yr.
It is the first yr. I will be doing this. We dont even go once a yr. normally. last time I was there it was 2001.
That being said, I would still like a discount(who wouldnt).
I am hoping that they will still come out. If they dont I will still be going. I just wont be able to do some of the things that I would like to do there that cost extra, because it will be going into my room cost.
Such is life!

IMHO,

I must say that I agree with Brian. That familiar "entitlement" thing seems to be creeping back into the AP room discount threads.

Disney knows that AP holders will be coming back. The current media campaign is covering the people who wouldn't be coming to Disney if not for this package. It has nothing to do with loyalty. It has everything to do with sound marketing.

There may yet be discount codes released for the general public and/or AP's. We'll all just have to wait a little longer and see. But if there aren't any released (and there have been many periods in the past where there were NO AP discounts for several months out of the year) then the people who purchased AP's for the wrong reason (room discounts) will have to face the music and swallow hard.

Originally posted by adisneynut
For BrianD-

You have a valid point. However Disney's sell pitch for AP and PAP is that there will be room discounts, dinning discounts and other advantages to whom ever wishes to purchase them.

My question is, though, where in Disney's AP advertising do they pitch the fact that there are room & dining discounts in addition to the park access?

Here is what it says on their website:
With every Annual Pass you get:
• Unlimited admission* for 365 days to the four Disney Theme Parks: Magic Kingdom® Park, Epcot®, Disney-MGM Studios, and Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park
• The flexibility to go from Theme Park to Theme Park on the same day
• A wide array of Passholder benefits
• Theme Park parking included
• Convenient Walt Disney World® transportation -- monorails, ferryboats, and motor coaches
*Except for activities/events separately priced.
When you order the Annual Pass, you will receive a certificate in the mail. Redeem the certificate for an Annual Pass at any Walt Disney World® Theme Park ticket window by presenting the certificate and valid photo ID. The Annual Pass is valid for 365 days from certificate redemption.

Now granted, it does say "a wide array of Passholder benefits", which there are, but it doesn't specifically mention or guarantee room discounts all the time. That's the point I'm trying to make.

:D

I'm in the same boat with AP that expire in August. I am still hoping for some great rates during this time. I also have another thought that this may be the time to try an off site hotel. Never thought I would consider this being loyal to disney. But here is my thought process, the off site hotels and downtown disney hotels are going to have to do something big to compete with this fairy tale package. They need to lure some of us in that don't need the perk of the passes, ie AP holders. Anybody else thought of this.:bounce: :Pinkbounc

Originally posted by adisneynut
For BrianD-

Nope. Disney's line is that there may be room discounts.

Taken directly from the 2003 AP sleeve:
Walt Disney World Resort Hotel Discounts
Special passholder rates may be offered seasonally at selected Walt Disney World Resort hotels and selected Disney Vacation Club Resorts. See your Mickey Monitor newsletter for specific offers.

There's a very big difference between "may" and "will be".

Originally posted by GoldenOldie
Nope. Disney's line is that there may be room discounts.

Taken directly from the 2003 AP sleeve:
Walt Disney World Resort Hotel Discounts
Special passholder rates may be offered seasonally at selected Walt Disney World Resort hotels and selected Disney Vacation Club Resorts. See your Mickey Monitor newsletter for specific offers.

There's a very big difference between "may" and "will be".

And besides, that sleeve contains information for people that have already purchased the annual pass. It is not used to market annual passes to the public.

Maybe I did err when I said they advertise discounts as a perk. However, it is listed on page 17 of the Birnbaums Walt Disney World Offical Guide. As well as several other sites for WDW info.

I beleive that it is on the sleeve cover for the AP and PAP. At least it is on the cover we have. Also there are other site which list the benefits of passholders which include the ones listed as well as the shopping discounts.

What's the point in being loyal to a company when they do nothing but turn their back on you? If things continue on the downward slide for their loyal customers, we'll just use our DVC membership to travel elsewhere.

How have they turned their backs on loyal customers???? DC members are loyal customers...they are being rewarded with a historically low discount package. AP holders up until this current season are being offered pretty significant discounts. It's not time for the next set of AP rates to be released, so as of yet there's no reason to believe that there won't be any.

Btw, I don't believe that they ever offer any discounts based on rewarding loyal customers. They base it on the need to fill rooms. Sometimes I think WDW is a victim of their own success. They've marketed this magic and pixie dust thing so well that sometimes we really personalize our relationship with WDW too much! Years ago when discounts were unheard of, it wasn't because Disney was being disloyal...it was because they didn't need to offer them.

Just because Mousesaver's thinks that the resorts will sell out doesn't mean they will. Mousesaver's doesn't have an inside track to the marketing strategies of WDW. I doubt even WDW can accurately predict just how successful this campaign will be, let alone outsiders.

I think I've learned to wait until it happens before I scream anymore. I've yet to be disappointed so there's no reason to think I will now.

Disney knows that AP holders will be coming back.

Actually, that is not necessarily true. Unless things turn around, we won't be going back as often as we do now. And it's not just because of the Fairytale Package. I'm happy for those who can use it. Good for you. It's everything--the reduced hours, the reduction in staff, the closing of attractions with nothing to replace them (i.e. CoP, 20,000 Leagues, that robot thingie with Robin William's narrating, etc.).

AP holders up until this current season are being offered pretty significant discounts.

Disney Club members got similar discounts--usually within $10.00 of the AP rates.

I guess I just don't understand what the company is thinking. I'm glad they're making an attempt to bring in new customers, but I do feel as if they are ignoring their loyal customers. All of them. Not just DVC members or AP holders, but DC members as well. I would think that those loyal customers would be steamed that Disney is doing away with their program.

I doubt even WDW can accurately predict just how successful this campaign will be, let alone outsiders.

If they don't have an idea how successful this campaign will be, then they'd do well to hire a better marketing company!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter