Announcing: The Midwest Meet in Marceline (MMM)

Teamubr

From somewhere outside StL
Announcing a Midwest Meet Event

A few of us in the middle of the country have been tossing around a get together in Marceline, Missouri. For those not familiar with this small north central Missouri town, it is the boyhood home of Walt. This is where Walt said he fell in love with trains and small town Americana that provided the inspiration for Main St. USA at DL and MK. There is a Walt Disney Hometown Museum in the former train depot (pic below) and Walt's boyhood home is still there. The address is easily found on the internet, but the home is a private residence now.

Here are the details for EVERYONE that would like to join us:

July 23-25th, 2021
Long Branch State Park (about 30 minutes from Marceline)
Long Branch is a typical Missouri small state park with electric hook ups only (no water or sewer), but they do have some 50 amp sites (July in Missouri gets pretty hot, so dual A/C on the big rigs is a must).
Here is the CAMPGROUND link and the RESERVATIONS link.

• Where is Marceline?
    • About 2 hours from Kansas City and 3 hours from St Louis

• Long Branch State Park
549949 549950

The E* sites are 50 amp. There are 3 of us currently with reservations. We are in sites 73, 74, 75. If you would like to join us, I have never been to the SP, but all the sites look nice.

• Walt Disney Hometown Museum (I drove out here a few years ago when my dad was in the hospital in central MO. It was December and the museum was closed for the season.)

The museum has guided tours for larger groups (hopefully Covid is better under control by late July) and they even offer private evening tours for groups (2-20) with the museum Creative Director for a
"chance to explore our 10,000 square feet of immersive gallery space at a slower pace, unencumbered by the noise of large museum crowds. Your group will have a unique opportunity to dig a little deeper into the Disney’s time in Marceline, and the inspiration Walt found in this beautiful little piece of northern Missouri."

Attendees so far:
  • Part-Time Paradise
  • Tigger92662
  • TeamUBR
  • Bama Ed
j

Last edited:

Good news and bad news.

Good news. DD swam her butt off this weekend and qualified for the district meet (dropped 40 something seconds in 200m freestyle 🤯).

Bad news. Districts are the same weekend as the meet up. DW said at the beginning of swim season that if she makes districts DS and I will still go to the meet up and she'd take DD to her swim meet.

So I still married the absolute right lady, but no one will get to meet the better half just yet.

Teamubr,

Add me, DW, and DD to the list for Marceline!

We will not be camping, though, because we need to make this a fast/quick trip so we'll do a hotel room nearby. But we will throw the folding chairs in the trunk and fill the cooler with diet Cokes and head over/up.

Ed

Hi folks! I'm not part of the camping crew, but a group of Dis-ers from the KC area made a pilgrimage to Marceline a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. The museum is really cool and a couple of very nice people run it. It's very old school, but that's part of its charm. You can also visit the farm where Walt lived, the home is occupied, but you can go into the barn and sign your name on the wall.

There's a Walt Disney elementary school but it's pretty ordinary other than the name. Also Ma Vic's Corner Cafe is a diner with tasty food. There's an ice cream sundae with fudge and (I think) graham cracker crumbs is that is delicious. Hope y'all enjoy it!:earsboy:

@Micca,

Thanks for the comments and recommendations. I'm in the St Louis area and have always wanted to get to Marceline. We did drive over in the Winter when we were in Columbia, but everything was closed for the season. I know it isn't far from KC. We are planning on seeing the museum and homestead on Saturday, July 24th. You are more than welcome to join us.

j

11 days and a wake up. Looking forward to the trip.

For the gang that's coming, what plans do we need to firm up? Do a meal together? The tour of the museum? Anything else?

Hopefully I can unscrew the rig and I'm not tent camping :eek:. Even though we just got back, DS already asked when we're going to that Disney camping trip.

He was really into the Carousel of Progress and the Walt Disney display at Hollywood Studios. I think he's going to flip at the museum at Marceline.

PS - There is a slim chance that DD isn't going to district swimming. Long story, but the swim team is restructuring how things are funded and we aren't going to pay $$$$ for 30 seconds in the water. Short story, DD and DW might be in tow. Let me know when we need to firm up the head count for anything

Last edited:
Jack, as Saturday will probably be a busy day away from the camp site, I think we should probably figure Friday night for potluck, weather permitting.
Saturday will give us a full day for museum and what not.
Let's see what Jim and Ed think

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter