An obsessive planner learns to go with the flow... Finished and a Link to new PTR

Hi! We were at Disney the same time!

We arrived on the 25th too, but I didn't know about the tea cups closing until we actually made it to MK 2 days later.

OMG! it was so freaking hot that week!

Hi and :welcome:

Sorry you didn't know about the teacups. :sad2:

Yes it was hot! Oh, my I just don't think anything can prepare you for how hot and humid Florida can be!

After a couple of hours at MK we decided to go on to Downtown Disney so the kids could get some souvenirs they'd been looking forward to. I snapped a few pics on the way out...
059.jpg

062.jpg

058.jpg

I knew from the DIS boards that the fastest way to get to DTD from MK was to walk or take the monorail over to the Contemporary and take a bus from there. However Jace spotted the resort launches and really wanted to ride in one of the boats. So we hopped in the line that seemed shortest, Wilderness Lodge, and took a nice sunset ride. (See how good I am at going with the flow!)
291.jpg

314.jpg

300.jpg

It was a nice relaxing ride and not terribly long, however when we got to WL we realized that the drop off for the resort launch is on the opposite side of the resort than the bus stops so we had quite a walk ahead of us. :rolleyes:

This resort is beatiful and Robbie really liked it- he is a country boy (which is hilarious if you know me, I guess opposites really do attract!) so the theming here was right up his alley. As we passed through the lobby the kids had their first opportunity for pin trading...
357.jpg

After leaving the lobby we followed the beautifully lit walkway to the buses...
362.jpg

And soon we were at DTD!
364.jpg

We thought we would eat first and then decided to just do things in the order we saw them. I was a bit turned around and thought we'd come to Once Upon a Toy first and told Jace he'd be building his light saber but then we walked past World of Memories so we decided to do that first. Well, Jace didn't want to do his light saber last so we decided to let both the kids do their souvenirs and THEN we'd eat (we should've grabbed ice cream on MS when we left MK- I was getting HUNGRY).

So, World of Memories, Kya had been looking forward to making her own ears for a very long time so she was excited!

First she chose her beanie...
365.jpg

Ears was a harder decision because she knew she wanted them different but also wanted them to coordinate with each other and with the patches she would choose. There were sooo many choices for ears...
370.jpg

Finally she chose the patches she wanted...
374.jpg

At this point the CM's put the beanie and patches on a heated press that adheres the patches to the beanie. You also have a choice of having your name embroidered onto the beanie but she didn't want to do that. I think her ears came out perfectly and are very HER.
379.jpg

I don't know if you can tell but the green and pink patch reads, "Peace, Love, Mickey" and the black and pink has a peace sign, a heart, and a Mickey head. She loves peace signs and hearts so this was just perfect for her. :lovestruc

All together I think this cost her right around $20. I thought that was a pretty good deal for something that is unique but still classic Disney.

Continued...

After Kya made her ears we headed over to Once Upon a Toy so Jace could get the souvenir he'd been waiting for... builiding his own light saber!

Again there were lots of choices including what color sword, double or single sided and the handle had lots of customizable pieces...
397.jpg

383.jpg

394.jpg

Since he already has a Jedi blue light saber he decided to go with Sith this time and had lots of fun choosing all of the different pieces. The LED light and batteries are also included and again a unique yet classic toy only cost about $20. :thumbsup2

I'd had in our plans that we would eat at Earl of Sandwich but Robbie balked at this suggestion. He works construction and carries a lunchbox so he eats a sandwich almost every day. I tried to explain that these were no ordinary sandwiches but he just wrinkled his nose. We also could have tried Wolfgang Puck's but everyone was tired so in the end I was overruled and we went back to the resort to eat. (Going with the flow again!)

I was VERY hungry- remember I'd wanted to eat first thing when we got to DTD and now here we were more than two hours later lining up for our food. Jace and Robbie got in line together and Kya and I went to another line. Well, after about 15 minutes I noticed Robbie looking around for Jace and that he couldn't find him. After a few minutes I left Kya in line with Robbie standing nearby and went to look for Jace. I found him sitting a table on the opposite side of the soda fountain- where we couldn't see him. :headache:

Now, I'm a pretty laid back parent but when it comes to safety there is just no lee-way. He KNOWS that he isn't supposed to go where we can't see him when we're in a crowd of people. Add this to the fact that I was starving and had just gotten out of long line before I was able to order food and I was MAD! I turned into one of THOSE moms and although I didn't yell I did take a pretty sharp tone, the people at the next table stared a bit and I could tell they thought I was mean but at that point I didn't care- he CAN NOT wander off like that in such large crowds of people! :scared1:

So, I took him to find his dad and by this time Kya had her food. I didn't want to wait in the long line again so I went to the bay with the shortest line. I ended up with a quesadilla that turned out to be really good. I had a bottle of lemonade to drink and Mickey head rice treat for dessert that I ended up saving for another day. Even though I was starved there was a lot of food in my meal and it filled me up!
407.jpg

Robbie and Jace both got pizza and a cookie. Robbie had water and Jace had chocolate milk.
410.jpg

Kya had opted for chicken nuggets and fries with a MH rice treat (hers wasn't dipped in chocolate) and milk to drink. She also ended up saving her MH for later. The meals were usually too much for Kya but at least she had plenty to eat all week!
409.jpg

We also picked up our resort refillable mugs that were included with the QSDP. We drank the stuff included with our meal while we ate and then had something to take back to the room when we filled our mugs. This worked out really well and we made a habit of this all week.

Some things we found helpful, thanks to the DIS: We knew just how much the ears and light saber would cost and just what to do when we got there. The choices can be overwhelming and we saw lots of people asking CMs for help but since we knew what to expect we were able to get in and out of each place fairly quickly. :thumbsup2

Some things we wish we'd done differently: I wish I'd gotten a snack before leaving MK then I wouldn't have been so hungry by the time we finally ate! I learned right then that I should eat when I have the opportunity. popcorn::

Up next: Animal Kingdom

sub'ing!

I was there Sep 22-29. I too changed my schedule to go to MK on 09/22 so we could ride the tea cups. I LOVED having our first day at MK. I think I will do that next year too. We started and ended our trip at MK. It seemed fitting.

sub'ing!

I was there Sep 22-29. I too changed my schedule to go to MK on 09/22 so we could ride the tea cups. I LOVED having our first day at MK. I think I will do that next year too. We started and ended our trip at MK. It seemed fitting.

:welcome:

We also ended at MK- it was the perfect way to begin and end our trip. :goodvibes

I am so happy that you finally felt the "Magic" and what a perfect way with your daughter :love: I almost fell out of the magic on my last trip because I was there four days solo and on the day before my DD and DGS arrived, I'd almost felt like I didn't want to come back for a long time. But after they arrived and I could see the Magic especially in my grandson's eyes (who was 14 mos old at the time) it all came back.

Loved your daughter's Mickey ears!! Did your son play with his lightsaber very much during the trip? Am curious how the QSDP works out for you throughout the trip - I was tempted to try it this trip but it will be my youngest two sons' first trip and they wanted to sit down for dinner each night (can't seem to get them to do it at home :confused3). I also homeschool my youngest (only the high school years) and he will be graduating this year. I hope I didn't make a big mistake in not having him attend his senior year at the local high school.

Hope the rest of your trip is Magical!

I am so happy that you finally felt the "Magic" and what a perfect way with your daughter :love: I almost fell out of the magic on my last trip because I was there four days solo and on the day before my DD and DGS arrived, I'd almost felt like I didn't want to come back for a long time. But after they arrived and I could see the Magic especially in my grandson's eyes (who was 14 mos old at the time) it all came back.

Loved your daughter's Mickey ears!! Did your son play with his lightsaber very much during the trip? Am curious how the QSDP works out for you throughout the trip - I was tempted to try it this trip but it will be my youngest two sons' first trip and they wanted to sit down for dinner each night (can't seem to get them to do it at home :confused3). I also homeschool my youngest (only the high school years) and he will be graduating this year. I hope I didn't make a big mistake in not having him attend his senior year at the local high school.

Hope the rest of your trip is Magical!

Thanks for joining in! I'm really happy with how the magic found me- I'll remember it forever! :lovestruc

She loves her ears too! Jace played with his lightsaber every chance he got. He even brought an old one from home so he and his dad could play together.

We really enjoyed the flexibility of the QSDP, the quality and amount of food was great as well. More details to follow in the TR. :surfweb:

IMHO homeschooling is almost always the right choice. Hopefully things work out for you and your son. :hug:

Really enjoying your trip report. Your photos are fantastic! What kind of camera do you use?

Okay, I got behind!

I love your trip so far! I'm glad that disney magic finally sunk in! I almost cried when I read about Kya seeing the castle! And I love your teacup pictures. Okay, I love all your pictures, they're so very beautiful! It sounds like a marvelous first day at the magic Kingdom!

DTD sounds like a lot of fun too. Kya's ears are so cute, and Jace seemed like making a lightsabre was fun. I really enjoyed reading about the whole process!

Those quesadillas look delicious! I think I am going to have to try them! I'm happy to hear that the food was more than enough. That's always a good sign.

Can't wait to read more! I will try and stay caught up this time!

Really enjoying your trip report. Your photos are fantastic! What kind of camera do you use?

Thanks for joining in! I have a Canon Rebel XT (350d). I LOVE my camera! I didn't have nearly enough time to take pictures on this trip so I just kept snapping while my kids ran to the next ride and hoped for the best! :rotfl:

Okay, I got behind!

I love your trip so far! I'm glad that disney magic finally sunk in! I almost cried when I read about Kya seeing the castle! And I love your teacup pictures. Okay, I love all your pictures, they're so very beautiful! It sounds like a marvelous first day at the magic Kingdom!

It really was a perfect way to begin our trip. :lovestruc Before my trip I didn't think it mattered much but now I really think all first timers should go to the MK first, it just puts you in a Disney frame of mind.

DTD sounds like a lot of fun too. Kya's ears are so cute, and Jace seemed like making a lightsabre was fun. I really enjoyed reading about the whole process!

They both had a lot of fun with it and loved that they got to get exactly what they wanted. :goodvibes

Those quesadillas look delicious! I think I am going to have to try them! I'm happy to hear that the food was more than enough. That's always a good sign.

It was really good! I liked trying different things so I never managed to get them again but wish I would have!

Can't wait to read more! I will try and stay caught up this time!

I completely understand about getting behind! That's why I'm trying to stick to one update per day (though I have so many pics that I have to split them into two posts :rolleyes1 ). I know it can be hard to keep up with all the trip reports and actually live life outside the DIS! :surfweb:

I've spent the day editing photopass pics. :surfweb: We honestly don't have a lot because Robbie made a face every time I suggested a family shot and I really don't enjoy having my picture taken (which is why I'm the photographer, lol) so I didn't suggest it often. The kids were also not really interested in stopping the fun to pose for pics so we mostly have character shots and a family shot in front of Spaceship Earth and Cinderella's Castle. The one in front of the sorcerer's hat just didn't happen (you'll read all about why on my DHS post) and we had one taken in front of the Tree of Life but when I entered our codes it wasn't there- all of our other shots from that day are there so I'm not sure what happened. :confused3 At least I had the PP photographer take a pic with my camera as well so I'll have something. I may upload it to the PP site so I can add a border but maybe not. I really only need a border for the one that I'm going to display on the wall so we'll see.

Overall I'm pretty happy with what we got. I got a VERY good deal on the cd (so good I'm not sure I'm supposed to share it here on the DIS) so I'm fine with whatever we get. The character shots of the kids are great and I'm having fun playing with the borders. I'll be sure to share some of my faves when I get the cd. :goodvibes

We had a 7:15 wake-up call but I was up at 6 AM. I laid there for a while wishing I'd told the family that I'd be taking pictures. I should have woken Robbie and told him because it was the last time I'd have the energy! Instead I dozed until the phone rang. Everyone got up and ready pretty easily and we were out the door by 8. It would have been sooner but in a tiny room with only one small bathroom it just takes longer for four people to get ready than it would at home. On our way out we left our tip for the mousekeeper with Stitch...
411.jpg

We stopped in the dining hall for breakfast. Kya had bacon (which she didn't like)...
414.jpg

Robbie, Jace and I all got biscuits and gravy...
413.jpg

The CM who checked us out tried to tell me that biscuits and gravy were not a snack credit. Well, I'd read it on the snack credit thread, it was under $4 AND it had the symbol on the menu that signifies a snack. The CM tried to tell me that the symbol only meant it was on the dining plan. Umm... everything on the menu is on the dining plan. :rolleyes: Now, I know that not everyone can be as well informed as the average DISer about how things work but wouldn't you think that at the CMs who work food service would be better informed? :confused3 Thankfully I understood the dining program well and I told her to just try it. She was so surprised when it worked. :laughing:

We were on the bus by 8:40 and got to AK just after rope drop. We got our first photopass pic in front of the Tree of Life (which I discovered yesterday didn't make it onto the card). Thankfully I had the photographer take a pic with my camera too...
421.jpg

Then we headed on to the Safari. Along the way we spotted Lilo and Stitch with only one person in line! Stitch is Kya's favorite character so we hopped in line...
446.jpg

459.jpg

When we got to the Safari we waited less than 5 minutes to get on. I'd read that the animals were most active early in the morning. I'm not sure what it's like later in the day but I can tell you that we saw LOTS of animals- and lots of babies!
538.jpg

595.jpg

609.jpg

628.jpg

Jace loved the safari! We all did but Jace especially- he's such an animal lover. :lovestruc Those who followed my PTR may remember that I had reservations about AK. I don't generally enjoy seeing animals in captivity, even when it's well done but the safari didn't give me that feeling. The animals have so much space to move around and it just didn't have the same feel as a zoo. I was pleasantly surprised.

After the safari the kids did some pin trading; Jace was especially proud of this one...
646.jpg

We headed toward Asia so we could get fastpasses for Kali River Rapids. We spotted Devine along the way...
663.jpg

After grabbing the FP for Kali we rushed to Dinoland so we could make the Finding Nemo show, we barely made it and ended up being let in the side door just before the show began...
748.jpg

This show was okay. The puppets were amazing and the puppeteers extremely talented but there was nothing original about the show. It was simply a condensed version of the movie. There was one moment at the end when bubbles started coming out over the audience that was unexpected and it felt a bit magical- but it was a brief moment and the show was 40 minutes long. I'd definately skip this one if we had the day to do over.

Kya hadn't eaten her bacon at breakfast so she was pretty hungry at this point so she stopped for a Mickey Head ice cream bar (which I didn't get a pic of, sorry). Jace and I both opted for some free ice water. The rest of us weren't really hungry yet so we decided to catch the 12:00 Festival of the Lion King show and eat afterwards.

Continued...

We were in line for FotLK by 11:30 and near the front. It was pretty crowded and hot where we were waiting and just as we were about to go in a woman fainted, presumably from the heat. :scared1: The rest of her family went into the show so we are assuming she was okay. We went in and got our seats in the giraffe section. We were up pretty close- third row! Jace and Robbie enjoyed the show but Kya and I LOVED it! The costumes, music, everything was just PERFECT!

Kya is a dancer and loves ballet- when she saw the bluebird ballerina she just swooned. :lovestruc She says she wants to be her when she grows up. I'm all for it- free tickets! :rotfl:
1020.jpg

Jace really liked the gymnast monkeys...
891.jpg

We all thought the fire dancer was cool...
980.jpg

And the CMs really seemed to respect The Camera...
1059.jpg

1094.jpg

We waited in line to meet Mickey and Goofy on our way to get lunch...
1123.jpg

1142.jpg

Goofy's handler noticed Jace's name on his shirt and asked him if he was the Jace they'd been warned about. Jace responded that it was possible because he is pretty ornery! :lmao: I loved that the CMs worked really hard to pull Jace in and he couldn't resist. It was a big part of the Disney magic. Normally he thinks he's too big for such things but at Disney he just forgot all about that and enjoyed himself. :love:

We wanted to get out of the park kind of early since we had a 6:15 ADR so we didn't wait to meet any other characters. We went to Flametree BBQ for lunch. I'd been told that it was best to sit by the water but the condiments were under the covered pavillion so we sat there instead. I have to say there were ducks EVERYWHERE! I guess they are used to getting the food people drop so they hang out there because there were tons of them!

Kya got a kids meal of hot dog, apple slices and grapes...
1151.jpg

She didn't really like the grapes and thought they were too soft- I tasted one and had to agree!

Jace got a standard burger which I didn't get a shot of but I got other burger shots later in the week. They're pretty much all the same anyway! Robbie and I both got bbq pork sandwiches, baked beans and chocolate mousse.
1150.jpg

The sandwich was really good but the beans and mousse weren't that great. The mousse was drenched in chocolate syrup (like the kind you make chocolate milk with) and it just kind of ruined it for me.

After we ate we went back to Asia so Robbie and the kids could use their FP for Kali. When Robbie spotted this sign...
1153.jpg

he was ready to leave. He didn't understand that we'd gotten FP earlier in the day so we didn't have to wait 40 minutes. :lmao: Once I explained it to him he was ready to go!

I was worried about getting my camera wet and wasn't overly thrilled about this ride so I waited for them at the exit. I snapped a few pics...
1159.jpg

and then found a shady spot to wait. I chatted with another mom who'd opted not to ride. As they exited they were all smiles and declaring how fun that was- even Robbie! Kya said it was the best ride EVER and Jace told me he was sorry I 'had' to miss it. :lovestruc

We headed for the LONG walk back to the buses so we could clean up and rest a bit before our dinner reservation.

Why I was thankful for the DIS today: I knew exactly how the dining plan worked, even if the CM at breakfast didn't!

Things we would have done differently: We probably could have skipped the Nemo show and then had time to meet more characters at Camp Minnie Mickey.

How I went with the flow: Our plans had include Pangani, Maharajah and Discovery Island Trails as well as the Flights of Wonder show. We didn't have time for these things and just decided to skip them. Well, we decided FoW together, I just kept walking past the trails and didn't mention it (remember I don't really like zoos. :rolleyes1 )

Up next: Relaxing at the pool and trying to make it to our ADR on time...

I'm subscribing. I've enjoyed reading your TR to this point! Such a sweet family!

Can I ask what kind of camera you used? Your pictures are wonderful!

Your 1st day sounds amazing! Although many people recommend seeing other parks before MK, it's hard to NOT start with Main Street!
Sounds like AK was better than expected.

Amanda

I'm subscribing. I've enjoyed reading your TR to this point! Such a sweet family!

Can I ask what kind of camera you used? Your pictures are wonderful!

Thank you, my kids are pretty sweet- most of the time. ;)

I use a Canon Rebel XT (350d) and thank you!

Good for you with the CM and the snack credit!

Gotta keep 'em on their toes! ;)

Your 1st day sounds amazing! Although many people recommend seeing other parks before MK, it's hard to NOT start with Main Street!
Sounds like AK was better than expected.

Amanda

I think the way we went in knowing it might be crowded and we might not accomplish much at MK was a great way to do it. If a trip has you visiting MK in the middle of the week then a few hours on the first day should be enough to jumpstart a vacation. pixiedust:

AK wasn't bad. I didn't feel uncomfortable for the animals and I really want to love this park but honestly I can see why people think they can skip it. If we had it to do over we'd do the Safari, Kali, FotLK, and take advantage of the shorter character lines then call it a day. Live and learn I guess. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter