Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

...I get that there are quite a few things that are distinctly Canadian, but at this point in time, much of Canada are immigrants and a lot of the culture comes from the immigrant population. I heard that about a fifth of the population are immigrants, and then there are the children of immigrants.
And that right there, is what comprises our distinct culture but I guess that would be impossible to explain here. THAT IS CANADA - (mostly) enriched and ever-evolving; not a Canada threatened, damaged or diminished by our newcomers.

Cultural observation - Canadians don’t tend to use freshman, junior, sophomore etc for high schools or college.
We just say grade nine, grade ten, etc.

Is this terminology used in all the USA?
I always wondered about that too.

Also, after high school, Canadians either go to College for a specialized trade or University for a degree, but I think Americans refer to students who go to Universities as going to College. :scratchin

Also, after high school, Canadians either go to College for a specialized trade or University for a degree, but I think Americans refer to students who go to Universities as going to College. :scratchin
Freshman is no longer to be used as it was deemed offensive.
Yes you are correct in how university and college is used in each country.

And that right there, is what comprises our distinct culture but I guess that would be impossible to explain here. THAT IS CANADA - (mostly) enriched and ever-evolving; not a Canada threatened, damaged or diminished by our newcomers.

I recall that the Asian food in Richmond, BC was about as good as anyone could find in Asia. Over there I had ramen and various Chinese, although I also had a cheeseburger with a side of poutine. I could feel my arteries clogging with each bite.

But American culture is often defined by the ancestral makeup of its inhabitants, whether it's French/African/Cajun in Louisiana, German in Wisconsin, Scandinavians in Minnesota, etc. I live in an extremely diverse part of the country where there may not be a single defining culture because there are so many people who came from somewhere else, whether it's in the US or even the world. Over the years I've worked with people originally from every continent except for Antarctica.

My wife was Canadian so from what they tell me they are dual citizenship. I know when my wife came down here to live whatever country you voted in if you had a Canadian parent is the one you chose, but they tell me that has changed and as long as one of your parents had been born in Canada, even if they became naturalized in the states, they can decide where they want to live at any time. I'm only hoping they take me with them.

That is also British. They go to University (not the University) and if your sick they take you to Hospital, (not the hospital.)

I think the biggest difference is our Medicare. I get sick, I go to the doctor. I don't think about it. I go. I show my health card anywhere in Canada and I get the service I need without ever having to take out my credit/debit card. Okay, unless they give me a prescription. But even those, I'm told, are cheaper in Canada.

My point is, we think about healthcare as necessary and just do it. We don't think about whether it fits in our household budget. And we don't think about whether that doctor or hospital is in our insurance group.

I pd a Canadian lawyer $12,000 and got it done in 9 months I think it was.

You yada yada yada’d over the important parts. Namely, that we use a merit based system.

I guess it really depends. The only part of Canada I've ever been to has been British Columbia, and the culture there is remarkably similar to that of Seattle. I'm pretty sure it's very different than in other parts of Canada.

I've worked with Canadians. I recall one from Newfoundland, and another from around Toronto. The guy from Newfoundland certainly sounded like he was Canadian, but the (ethnic Chinese) Toronto guy I'd have a hard time figuring out where he was from. If I didn't hear him saying anything about Canada I would have guessed he was from Illinois.

I get that there are quite a few things that are distinctly Canadian, but at this point in time, much of Canada are immigrants and a lot of the culture comes from the immigrant population. I heard that about a fifth of the population are immigrants, and then there are the children of immigrants.

And there’s something negative about having a widely diversified population? This is really rubbing me the wrong way. Technically, I am the child of an immigrant as my dad is Australian and is a landed immigrant. Does that make me less Canadian in your eyes?

I think the biggest difference is our Medicare. I get sick, I go to the doctor. I don't think about it. I go. I show my health card anywhere in Canada and I get the service I need without ever having to take out my credit/debit card. Okay, unless they give me a prescription. But even those, I'm told, are cheaper in Canada.

My point is, we think about healthcare as necessary and just do it. We don't think about whether it fits in our household budget. And we don't think about whether that doctor or hospital is in our insurance group.

I deleted my comment because it would be seen as inflammatory and that wasn’t my intention.

Last edited:
You yada yada yada’d over the important parts. Namely, that we use a merit based system.

And there’s something negative about having a widely diversified population? This is really rubbing me the wrong way. Technically, I am the child of an immigrant as my dad is Australian and is a landed immigrant. Does that make me less Canadian in your eyes?

I deleted my comment because it would be seen as inflammatory and that wasn’t my intention.
Without getting political, immigration is a hot topic in America due to continuous illegal immigration. Congress has debated how to fix it, including a merit best system (but nothing gets done). Our countries both love and appreciate immigrants, just in the USA’s case it’s more of how it should be done and the cost factor when it comes to illegal workers. But anyone who is an American citizen is seen as American as anyone else period.

College is used as a generic term for higher education that comes after high school, leading to a degree. However, the specific institution may be called a college or a university. With some exceptions, colleges are usually smaller and award undergraduate degrees only (typically a 4 year program), while universities are generally larger and award graduate degrees (master’s and doctorates) as well as undergraduate (bachelor’s) degrees. There are also junior or community colleges that offer two-year associate’s degrees and other certificates. Trade or technical schools are referred to as such and are not considered colleges.

Freshman is no longer to be used as it was deemed offensive.
Depends on the school. Some still use the traditional term of freshman (shortened to frosh); others have switched to the gender-neutral “first year”.

Doesn't bother me. I live in a land of immigrants. But I've understood there's often a perception (fair or not) in the United States that other than native peoples, Canadians are primarily the descendants of direct European settlers who all sound like the McKenzie Brothers.

I understand. I've traveled to parts of Canada and witnessed the diversity. I recall hearing about the rush of the wealthy from Hong Kong in the 80s/90s that inextricably changed parts of BC. Even in popular culture there have been ways that a diverse Canada has been represented such as in the Pixar short Bao that was directed by Domee Shi, who was born in China but grew up in Toronto. There were distinct nods to Toronto (like the CN Tower in the background) although a lot of stuff would be familiar to anyone from a Chinese immigrant family in the San Gabriel Valley such as the Asian giveaway calendars in the kitchen.

Screen-Shot-2019-02-25-at-10.12.06-AM.png

Cultural observation - Canadians don’t tend to use freshman, junior, sophomore etc for high schools or college.

In my experience in this part of the U.S. they are interchangeable. All the school records say Grade 9, Grade 10, Grade 11 and Grade 12, but people commonly use Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and senior in conversation. And not all high schools here have grade 9/Freshman. They are only 3 years. Grade 9 is can be the third year of Junior High School. My school district has grades 9-12 as high school, my wife attended the school district that borders my district, and high school is grades 10-12 there.

We say 9th grade, 10th grade, 11th grade and 12th grade interchangeably with freshman, sophomore, junior and senior. When it comes to college I've only ever heard it freshman, sophomore, etc.

In my experience in this part of the U.S. they are interchangeable. All the school records say Grade 9, Grade 10, Grade 11 and Grade 12, but people commonly use Freshman, Sophomore, Junior and senior in conversation. And not all high schools here have grade 9/Freshman. They are only 3 years. Grade 9 is can be the third year of Junior High School. My school district has grades 9-12 as high school, my wife attended the school district that borders my district, and high school is grades 10-12 there.
That's the other interesting thing middle school and junior high. Sometimes junior high is referred to 7th and 8th grade sometimes it's 7th,8th and 9th grade. Middle school is sometimes 6th,7th, and 8th grade and sometimes it's just 7th and 8th grade.

I went to a middle school where it was 7th and 8th grade. Elementary was K-6th with high school 9th-12th. For me personally sadly my elementary school was demolished not long after I left (district was consolidating) followed several years after I left middle school same thing happened (again district was consolidating). My high school still stands though and is about to celebrate it's 100th anniversary next year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter