Americans and Canadians culture Q&A Thread.

Canada has so many better snacks than the US...All-Dressed Chips, which can, on rare occasions, be found, Hawkins Cheezies, Hickory Sticks, Flake bars (I have seen them here, but they are imported, so not found regularly), Chapman's Ice Cream, A&W Root Beer made with real cane sugar, a plethora of chocolate bars that are not Hershey...I'm sure I could think of more. These are just off the top of my head.

As for the Kinder Surprises, they can now get them in the US (finally!!!), BUT they have to put them in safety packaging. The toy isn't found inside the chocolate egg, they come in a package with the toy on one side and the chocolate on the other...you know, so you don't choke on the toy by accident while trying to eat the egg in one bite.

Not sure if Flake bars can be found easily here. I definitely have never seen one at a checkout where you usually find other snacks, but have seen them in a specialty candy store.

Canada has so many better snacks than the US...All-Dressed Chips, which can, on rare occasions, be found, Hawkins Cheezies, Hickory Sticks, Flake bars (I have seen them here, but they are imported, so not found regularly), Chapman's Ice Cream, A&W Root Beer made with real cane sugar, a plethora of chocolate bars that are not Hershey...I'm sure I could think of more. These are just off the top of my head.

As for the Kinder Surprises, they can now get them in the US (finally!!!), BUT they have to put them in safety packaging. The toy isn't found inside the chocolate egg, they come in a package with the toy on one side and the chocolate on the other...you know, so you don't choke on the toy by accident while trying to eat the egg in one bite.

I once accidentally smuggled 3 Kinder Surprises into WA. Later found out that doing so could have ended with a fine of up to $2500 PER egg! :eek:

Funny, I wonder if you actually have Canadian family lol (all in good fun, not trying to start anything.)

I don’t know why anyone would feel the need to lie about being Canadian.
LOL. Maybe I should dig out photos of my Canadian cousin's weddings.....where they are cutting their traditional Canadian wedding cake, fruit cake.

Not sure if Flake bars can be found easily here. I definitely have never seen one at a checkout where you usually find other snacks, but have seen them in a specialty candy store.
I count being able to find them in the candy aisle at Super Store "easy." It has been a lot of years since I have seen them at the check-out lines specifically.

How difficult is it to emigrate to Canada? Just asking for a friend. :scratchin

Apparently can be a very frustrating experience, unfortunately. Well so I have been told by a couple of friends.

Although I would never assume a couple of examples make it case-closed true.

One of my friends could come more easily now, because she married a Canadian. But has no interest due to being jaded from her prior experience.

Last edited:
I guess it really depends. The only part of Canada I've ever been to has been British Columbia, and the culture there is remarkably similar to that of Seattle. I'm pretty sure it's very different than in other parts of Canada.

I've worked with Canadians. I recall one from Newfoundland, and another from around Toronto. The guy from Newfoundland certainly sounded like he was Canadian, but the (ethnic Chinese) Toronto guy I'd have a hard time figuring out where he was from. If I didn't hear him saying anything about Canada I would have guessed he was from Illinois.

I get that there are quite a few things that are distinctly Canadian, but at this point in time, much of Canada are immigrants and a lot of the culture comes from the immigrant population. I heard that about a fifth of the population are immigrants, and then there are the children of immigrants.

Also - the thing I get is that almost every male had played some sort of youth hockey, and most really, really love hockey. I mentioned the guy from Newfoundland, and when he met a Russian he had to say something about one of the best international games he'd ever seen between Canada and maybe the old USSR team. OTOH once I met a Canadian doing some technical training in San Jose. And he sounded very Canadian, so I mentioned I was going to the Sharks game that night. He said that all boys play hockey, but that he wasn't particularly interested in the NHL. Kind of surprised me because love of hockey is a big stereotype we have of Canadians.

What the heck are disco fries?
https://www.saveur.com/new-jersey-disco-fries/
Disco fries are on every menu at NJ diner (open 24/7 365 days of the year) plus many other restaurants. Fries, brown gravy, mozzarella. Since NJ diners are open 24/7, everyone who goes to bars and clubs ends up at a diner at some point. Diners have literally pages of menu items, but disco fries are staples (plus burgers, salads, pancakes, steak, cod, cheese cake, pot roast, omelets, fried chicken - again, pages of items).

I once accidentally smuggled 3 Kinder Surprises into WA. Later found out that doing so could have ended with a fine of up to $2500 PER egg! :eek:
The more I think about this, the more I consider that you may actually be a stooge for the Kinder Kartel. Were you given a special wristband before crossing the border?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter