Amazed and Disappointed

We are here now and the parks are manageble but hardly empty. I am not going to lie, the reduced hours at MK stink. We have always loved the late night summer hours at MK. I miss having the Electrical Parade, particularly the 11:00 p.m. one. It poured rain this afternoon/evening leaving pretty much every outdoor ride closed.

Having Pandora open late is worthless to us. It's a great land but with two rides only there is no way or reason we would go over there specifically for EMH.

I also miss having later hours at DHS and a second Fantasmic.

We are having a great time but this will be our last July trip. The brutal heat and lack of evening hours is a lose/lose for us. Leaving Epcot tonight with hundreds of chanting, clapping teenagers just added to the aggravation.

We are just back and I was very unhappy with the shorter hours at MK. We paid peak prices for non-peak hours. It was beastly hot in the afternoon. It feels like they finally added capacity then took it away. We did RD at Epcot one morning and they only had two theater's running so we weren't in the first or second run. Then 20 minutes into the SB line at TT it went down for technical reasons. Epcot had zero EMH while we were there.

Doesn't seem just ridiculous to add DVC rooms to the MK resorts and then lower the hours? Only two had mornings had EMH and one we had the EMM planned already.

This is exactly what they did to Easter hours so 2016 was our last Easter trip.

We had a great time but that was because we were together but I can do elsewhere much more inexpensively and easier and be much more comfortable and less aggravated. This trip the crowds and heat were much harder to manage.

The only bright spot with this trip was the 4th FP+ was much more available for attractions we enjoy.

Being originally from CA we were accustomed to DLR hours which during the summers was open regularly until midnight. We went to WDW for our honeymoon and were shocked by the 6pm MK closure in June. This was in 2003 when EMH didn't exist as they do now, but instead you paid $25/person and even then they were not daily.

We are visiting the second week of August and the MK hours are very disappointing for my family. Based on KTP calendar for the same week August 2016, the MK close time was 11:00 pm, 12:00 am, 2:00 am with only two days that week closing at 11:00. As of now, with no reason to expect a change, MK is closing at 10:00 pm with only one EMH 12:00 pm close. We purposely booked a split stay at GF for the first half of the week for MK, EP, and HS days thinking it would be easy to for DS and one parent to hop over to MK and finish the night while the other parent and DD went back to the resort. We are moving to AKL for our AK portion of the trip, so those extended AK hours during the first half of the trip for only two rides are useless to me personally. For three park days, we lose 5 MK hours and any ability to hop back to MK after EP and HS nightly entertainment, so for our family it was a complete waste of money to get hoppers. Part of our reasoning for a summer trip and staying at the GF was the opportunity for longer hours and the ability to hop back to MK at the end of the night.

I also have concerns that MK will be more crowded earlier in the day. Those people that stay until close and are backwards planning their time are going to arrive earlier in the day. Fireworks at 9:00 pm and a close at 10:00 pm leaves almost no time to do anything post-fireworks and takes away an hour of pre-fireworks ride time. Earlier close at MK means fewer people are going to hop over there at night, leaving the other parks a little more crowded as they stay put until those parks close.

I understand it is a business. I understand Disney is able to set any hours they would like to enforce. As an educated consumer, not a whiny millennial, I am completely justified in my customer satisfaction being severely downgraded from my expectation of Disney's service. Particularly in the face of rising costs. I'm not sure how reduced attendance -- if that is even a real, legitimate factor -- is going to help me get 5 MK hours back into my week.

I understand how these operating hours may not impact your touring style, but maybe you could also understand how unfavorably it impacts some families'/individuals' touring styles?
I feel exactly the same. We are going mid August .I feel like we wasted money on getting hoppers. You should send what you just typed here to Dsiney. It explains our unhappiness with the hours perfectly.

"Wall Street" is not very understanding of "the long game" these days.
Wall Street is never fond of the long game. But good companies generally are. It's all about balance.

I think it's a bit shortsighted of us on the heels of all the D23 news of INVESTMENT in parks to tag Disney as only short-slighted.

They're not perfect. I've complained as much as anyone about these hours IF there really isn't a decrease in crowds. I just think it's worth stepping back a bit sometimes... :)

Hours are not much different than they were last year. Last July MK frequently closed at 10pm, not midnight or 1 am
It was 11pm most nights last summer--the hour does make a difference. Also, Hollywood has always had one night of EMHs in all the past years we've been going to Disney. If they even gave the whole park for AK it would be one thing...but only 2 rides (whose lines are very long I hear even during that time) is very disappointing.

I would not label HS as a half-day experience.
I would. At most,1'2 a day for us now with the newest closures. I used to spend extra time watching streetmosphere for hours too. Not anymore I guess.:mad:

I look at DHS as slightly more than a half day park. Right now, what we will ride or see is GMR (soon to be gone), TSMM, Muppet Vision 3D, Star Tours, Indiana Jones, Beauty and the Beast, One Man's Dream and the Frozen Sing Along. We visit this park on our last day so that we can get home early and start packing.

To be honest, I wouldn't even go there except its my daughter's favorite park. If it was me, i'd spend another day at Epcot.

After going over our plans last night for our upcoming trip this August I see I need to change some things around. I'm having trouble fitting everything in that we want to do while trying to stay out of the midday heat.
It would help so much if they would at least add an hour.
With us going in August it is super hot. The way it looks we will have to be out midday :( .
Last year we made plans around the late closing at MK and AK and worked out great.
This year it is harder with earlier closings.

Yes, it looks like I'm going to have to spring for UBER most days of our trip in a few weeks. Thats more money going to waste because we simply don't have time to waste an extra 20 minutes or more waiting for buses. I'm really debating even going back again next year if this is the way its going to be. Maybe take the kids for just 2 or 3 nights when its busy like 4th of July when the park stays open late.

If people are unhappy with the hours, definitely let Disney know your thoughts. Especially if you've actually been there and feel that the hours were NOT appropriate for the crowd levels. Let them know about this mistake. Disney is better than most companies about reading guest feedback and their executives are very interested in hearing about guest sentiments about everything (as you can see from the number of surveys they send).

We can debate whether Disney is too short-term focused for their own good. However, even if they are only short-term focused, Disney would want to maximize profit and not close the parks early when money is to be made.

Park hours are supposed to be determined by the following three items:
1. Ticket revenue
2. Food/Beverage revenue
3. Merchandise revenue

You could also call it "attendance" but what actually pays the bills is how much each guest is spending per hour he/she is in the parks. The real question is: will those two extra hours result in higher food, beverage, and merchandise profits? If not, then the parks close earlier. If the answer is yes, Disney should absolutely have longer hours. Disney should not leave money on the table.

There is an element of guest satisfaction here, which they do measure and talk about. They should care about it because it affects word-of-mouth and repeat visits. So if you feel like the shorter hours are making you angry enough to visit WDW less often, you should let them know that too because it affects ticket revenue.

In my dealings with them, I honestly get the impression they could care less. I understand that since if they lose me and I'm spending 7K or so a year at Disney, thats really nothing to them. as for your three items, when the park was opened late till midnight. Most food stands were closed at 10pm so if what you say is true, they were throwing away money. Tickets are bought in advance so I'm not sure how its affecting ticket revenue and you know the people there at 10pm aren't buying merchandise.

If people are unhappy with the hours, definitely let Disney know your thoughts. Especially if you've actually been there and feel that the hours were NOT appropriate for the crowd levels. Let them know about this mistake. Disney is better than most companies about reading guest feedback and their executives are very interested in hearing about guest sentiments about everything (as you can see from the number of surveys they send).

We can debate whether Disney is too short-term focused for their own good. However, even if they are only short-term focused, Disney would want to maximize profit and not close the parks early when money is to be made.

Park hours are supposed to be determined by the following three items:
1. Ticket revenue
2. Food/Beverage revenue
3. Merchandise revenue

You could also call it "attendance" but what actually pays the bills is how much each guest is spending per hour he/she is in the parks. The real question is: will those two extra hours result in higher food, beverage, and merchandise profits? If not, then the parks close earlier. If the answer is yes, Disney should absolutely have longer hours. Disney should not leave money on the table.

There is an element of guest satisfaction here, which they do measure and talk about. They should care about it because it affects word-of-mouth and repeat visits. So if you feel like the shorter hours are making you angry enough to visit WDW less often, you should let them know that too because it affects ticket revenue.

In my dealings with them, I honestly get the impression they could care less. I understand that since if they lose me and I'm spending 7K or so a year at Disney, thats really nothing to them. as for your three items, when the park was opened late till midnight. Most food stands were closed at 10pm so if what you say is true, they were throwing away money. Tickets are bought in advance so I'm not sure how its affecting ticket revenue and you know the people there at 10pm aren't buying merchandise.

Tickets are bought in advance, so you're right: that's the one part that's not variable with hours (unless they reach a tipping point where they can sell a second "gate" such as a separately ticketed party). Also, you're right that most food stands are closed at 10pm, because they fall below a certain threshold of profitability. And yes, at some point not enough merchandise is being sold either. So I'd say, yes, you're correct on all counts. Which is why they're closing at 10:00pm, unfortunately.

Here's my frustration with the whole feedback process. I happen to know that Disney actually does worry about guest feedback a lot. Their outward facing communication, however, is often very templated. Nobody is able to speak on behalf of the company, so you get this form-letter response that feels like nobody cares. Sometimes it's the lawyers and sometimes it's the others in charge of feedback, but they clamp down on any messaging that might go "off script." The only people who have the appearance of being able to speak freely are the Mom bloggers (who they are very careful to mention aren't employees speaking on behalf of Disney). I think companies undermine their own customer service efforts when they are so controlling. But I do know behind the scenes they're pretty good about sharing letters/calls. They just don't want anyone to know that.

Looking at last year's June and July actual hours it doesn't look like this year is very different at all. Almost every night last July the closing times were 10 or 11 pm. August last year seemed to have a lot of 12 or 1 am closing times so I guess August will show whether hours have really been scaled back.

Our trip was 7/8-7/14. I'm used to Disney in July and to me every park felt more crowded than usual.
Late night Pandora was unbearably crowded. We just wanted to look around (we had done the rides earlier) but it was nearly impossible. We left and decided a quick swim at the resort might be nice but the pool closed at 11.

Before this trip I didn't think I'd mind the hours as posted but I can definitely see a need to give people something to do between 10pm-1am. That isn't super late for summer vacation.

Our trip was 7/8-7/14. I'm used to Disney in July and to me every park felt more crowded than usual.
Late night Pandora was unbearably crowded. We just wanted to look around (we had done the rides earlier) but it was nearly impossible. We left and decided a quick swim at the resort might be nice but the pool closed at 11.

Before this trip I didn't think I'd mind the hours as posted but I can definitely see a need to give people something to do between 10pm-1am. That isn't super late for summer vacation.
Maybe they are trying to head people to Disney Springs? Who knows, I just dont like it. I'm a night owl but care that much for DS.

my trip is 9/21 to 9/25 during free dining (completely booked. can't even add a day). MK is closing at 9 pm ON A SATURDAY. just doesn't sound right to me, it will be very busy and AK doesn't have EMH that night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter