Am I over reacting?

jesse0418

Mouseketeer
We recently stayed at Pop Century. We have stayed at this resort many times before and absolutely loved it! However, on our last trip we had an experience that kind of ticked me off. We had just returned to our hotel room after a long day in the parks and came in to our room to find that only 1 of our beds had been made. I know it's not THAT big of a deal, but it really ticked me off. Was the maid too lazy to make that bed? I mean to make one and not the other, seriously? Yes my bed had some stuff on it (one of my bags), but it wasn't an issue the previous days. I'm just confused as to why it would matter that day? They are paid to make beds and stuff so to come into my hotel room and have one of them not made up just seemed so unprofessional. Thoughts? :confused3

I would have used the Housekeeping button on your room phone and ask why it wasn't made up, and that you would like both beds made.
I have never run into this, but then, I don't leave anything on my bed.

I would have used the Housekeeping button on your room phone and ask why it wasn't made up, and that you would like both beds made.
I have never run into this, but then, I don't leave anything on my bed.

Well I had my bag on the bed before too, and they removed it to make the bed up and then put the bag back on the bed. That's what's so strange about it. I could understand if they didn't do it because of the bag, but they did it every other day before:confused:

If I had realized the bag was an issue, I would have removed it from the bed.

Disturbed? Maybe.

Really ticked off? That strikes me as an overreaction.

Still talking about it after you get home? Ditto.

If it bothered you that much, you should have called while you were there or spoke to the front desk.

I wouldn't think it was a maid being lazy, more likely distracted by something else / called out into the corridor / etc. in the middle of doing your room. Mistakes happen. Or it could have been about the bag - same as Sue - we never leave stuff on the bed when we leave, so I don't know about that part.

It was probably a different maid that you had before. Maybe he/she was afraid to move your personal stuff?

Under the circumstances it would not have made me mad. I would just be sure my bed is cleared next time. (Actually it sort of grosses me out to think of luggage on a bed, sort of like shoes on a bed. But hey, that is just me :))

It was probably a different maid that you had before. Maybe he/she was afraid to move your personal stuff?

Under the circumstances it would not have made me mad. I would just be sure my bed is cleared next time. (Actually it sort of grosses me out to think of luggage on a bed, sort of like shoes on a bed. But hey, that is just me :))

I should have rephrased myself...it didn't make me mad. It more confused me because I am paying to have my bed made and such. Also there was no shoes on the bed. That is just plain wrong IMO :eek: And as I said before, if I had known they had something against stuff being on the beds, I would have made sure they were clear. It only happened once during our trip, which just adds to my confusion :rolleyes:

Was your bag open? I can't blame on the maid for not wanting to touch your "stuff". Some nut (not you, OP) would complain that their bag was moved:upsidedow

I know I'm crazy but I like to tidy up a bit so the housekeepers don't have to touch my things :goodvibes

I'm guessing that he/she was interrupted or something. Once at the Poly, our entire room and bath had been completely cleaned, but there was not a single towel left. And all the old towels were removed. We just called and they brought us some. I figured something distracted the mousekeeper and they never got back to the room.

Any number of things could have happened. Perhaps there was an emergency and the maid forgot to come back. Since it only happened once out of multiple trips to that resort, I wouldn't worry about it. As for the luggage on the bed, I agree with you that it is their job to make the beds, but I don't think they should have to move your luggage off of the bed in order to make the it. We always make sure the bed is clear of all personal items. There is a long thread on here about someone's child leaving their "lovey" in the bed and them having to track it down in the laundry because "Disney lost it".:confused: If I was a maid and someone left a suitcase on their bed, I would be afraid to move it because 1) not my job 2) opens me up to a lawsuit if something went missing that may not have been in the bag in the first place. Sorry your bed didn't get made, but being "ticked off" seems a bit much to me.

I should have worded myself better as I wasn't all that ticked off, more confused. I never thought of the possibility of the maid getting interrupted or getting in trouble for moving personal items. I guess my mind doesn't think like that as I would never blame them for losing something of mine. Thank you all for your honesty and for helping me to understand the situation a little better :thumbsup2

I have to agree with the other posters that you overreacted to the situation. It could very well have been a different housekeeper that day who did not want to move your luggage in order to make the bed.

We always make sure that the beds are clear of personal belongings and the clutter on tables/dressers/vanities is minimized so that mousekeeping can do their jobs. It is just courtesy.

If it bothered you, you should have called housekeeping at the time. That's what the button on the phone is for.

I agree; it is not something to stew over.

I can tell you this past year; I traveled with two families and two children. I had a room and the five year old stayed with me. The two couples and infant were in the connecting room.

They are my next door neighbors and I know they are pack rats, but it still amazed me how much stuff there was in that room. Every horizontal surface had clothes and stuff stacked high; the beds were covered with dirty clothes, open make-up bags, wet towels,books, magazines, etc. every morning before we left.

I am a neat freak to the point where I had the five year old take all her books and DVD player off the bed and place them under the nightstand. Shoes went under the bench, towels and jackets hung up, etc.

Our room was immaculately cleaned each day, while the other room really didn't get made up at all. I felt for the maid that would have to come in and have stuff strewn all over the bed. With so much on the bed, the maid had no choice but to leave it. She did a great deal of towel animals for the baby, which I thought was very nice.

And they never complained; it didn't even bother them.

Not sure why your bed wasn't made up one day, but it was likely due to the bag or the housekeeper being interrupted. If it bothered me, I would have called houskeeping and asked for them to return. If it only happened once it would not have bothered me as much. But, I do agree that you are paying to stay at the hotel and I like to return to a clean room where the beds are made and the bathroom cleaned with new towels, etc.

I'm not a neat freak by any means, but when travelling I try and allow myself extra time to straighten the room before leaving for the day. I don't like strangers handling my personal items any more than necessary especially my toothbrush and makeup. And, it does make the houskeepers job easier to keep things clean for us.

If you have to ask yourself that question, then you probably are. No matter how annoying that might seem, in the grand scheme of the trip it shouldn't be more than a blip.

We recently stayed at Pop Century. We have stayed at this resort many times before and absolutely loved it! However, on our last trip we had an experience that kind of ticked me off. We had just returned to our hotel room after a long day in the parks and came in to our room to find that only 1 of our beds had been made. I know it's not THAT big of a deal, but it really ticked me off. Was the maid too lazy to make that bed? I mean to make one and not the other, seriously? Yes my bed had some stuff on it (one of my bags), but it wasn't an issue the previous days. I'm just confused as to why it would matter that day? They are paid to make beds and stuff so to come into my hotel room and have one of them not made up just seemed so unprofessional. Thoughts? :confused3

I would have assumed that it was an oversight--in her haste to get the room clean in the few minutes per room scehduled, the cleaning lady missed something. It happens. I never would have assumed from the beginning that it was laziness.

We had enough little things like this during our one and only stay at Pop last summer to insure we will never return there. While my experience at Disney resorts has been that they go above and beyond the norm, there is a minimum of service you expect at any hotel and on our visit Pop didn't even meet that. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great.

I wouldn't let things like this ruin my vacation, but I'd certainly make your dissatisfaction known by writing a letter or something. It's a nice resort and its a shame that the service doesn't seem meet the same standards as what I've experienced at other Disney value resorts. Maybe if we all let them know then it will improve.

Yes, I feel your are overreacting. The term maid just irks me too. They are not maids. If something was on your bed, maybe they didn't want to disturb it??? There could be different housekeepers each day. Seems like housekeeping just can't win these days. You were upset they did not remove your belongings from the bed and make it. Another poster would probably be mad they did move their belongings. :headache: Really, not big deal. But, I actually make my own beds and refuse housekeeping.

While in college I used to work cleaning rooms NOT AT DISNEY and we were forbidden to touch or move luggage. purses, etc. as they were personal items and could contain valuables. It was feared we could be accused of stealing or going through the bags.

I'm appalled by some of the rude comments people have left :scared1: It was simply an honest question and I wasn't looking for such negativity. I didn't know the had a policy about stuff being on the beds or I would have made sure they were clear. No need to flame me for asking a simple question :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter