Am I being too sensitive to mention of suicide in TS3?

Disney often puts not-so-pleasant plot devices into their movies. Some hit closer to home then others but I wouldn't say it is wrong to put them in. For you it is suicide and TS3, for someone who lost their mother it could be Dumbo or Bambi, for someone who dealt with infertility it could be UP!.

Part of what makes Disney movies so compelling and such good stories is that they often deal with very adult subject matter even though it is a kids movie at heart.

I'm sorry for those that had to deal with suicide, or anything like that, but if all painful topics were off limits there would be some pretty boring movies produced IMO.
so well said. I don't think the OP is being oversensitive, we all react to different topics or trauma portrayed in books, tv, media or even real life. I totally related to UP with my struggle with infertility and am often offended or over sensitive to things regarding it, especially people with passing comments about 'oh it was so easy for me to get pregnant' or the constant 'when are you going to have another?'......for me the infertility is a hot button. for someone else, it is alcoholism, a relative's death or something else. I think it is just part of society, disney or otherwise to address these topics, although sometimes difficult in their vehicles, as they are part of real life too.

i didn't think about the reference at all until you mentioned it, but I do remember it- something in the beginning about one of the old toys that was forgotten or something. I remember because i was a bit surprised too myself, even though it isn't a hot button for me. :hug::grouphug:

I, too, am very sorry for your loss.:grouphug:

I do remember the reference, likely because just a week before we saw it someone we knew and thought fondly of took his own life. I can say it was in context for the scene--don't remember which character, but I think the toys were telling Woody not to do something dangerous as "it would be suicide", and yes, they've used that line in a previous movie. I don't think it was inappropriate. It simply strikes a nerve.

:flower3:

Can you please point me to this post. I too saw the movie but do not know what the OP is talking about.

You misunderstand. I was agreeing with Nicole's post. I am sorry for the OP's loss, but I saw the movie and do not recall the reference.

I am sorry for your loss.

I don't think you are being sensitive at all. Your feelings are your feelings. Every "feels" differently about things. I lost my mom to lung cancer this past Thanksgiving. Long story, but her final decline started in WDW in Sept. She ended up in the hospital for over a moth down there (we are from NY). Anyway I can't being myself to go back. My husband keeps trying (in a nice way not pushy) he knows how much we loved it. I am getting off point. My point I don't feel I am being too sensitive by not going back right now it is just too painful. It is a stage. You feel the way you feel and there is nothing wrong with that! :hug:

Thanks everyone for your kind words...just to let anyone know who missed it...one of the characters says to another in reference to a suggestion of going back to the daycare.."that would be like suicide!" It was said in a joking manner.
I just wonder how many of you with little kids, like kindergarten age, knows what that word means. I just found it ironic that my therapist told me to take 2 hrs out and not think about my brother so I went to a kids movie not expecting that word to come up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter