Am I being too sensitive to mention of suicide in TS3?

riskysmom

Earning My Ears
I lost a close family member to suicide a few months ago and have had a hard time leaving the house. I finally made it to go see TS3 but was a little disappointed to hear a reference made by one of the characters to suicide. I keep thinking about it and wonder why that word needed to be mentioned in a kids film.
Am I just being oversensitive or does anybody else feel that way?

Im so sorry for your loss, that is obviously an event which will affect you for an extremly long time and make you very sensitive to the subject.

I have yet to see ts3 (it opens in the uk tomorrow) so it's a shock to hear of such a reference! Why would they put it in?

Having said that, I don't think there is a yes or no answer. Maybe before your loss u wouldn't have thought twice about the comment?

Maybe try not to dwell and waste thought on it?

Firstly, sorry for your loss. :hug: Suicide is a terrible thing and it saddens me that some people get to a point where they feel they have no other solution. :sad2:

I've not seen the movie so I'm not sure in what context it was in but I do remember even as a young child, my Mum explaining what suicide was and that at times thought my life, that I may feel down, get depressed, and that it might be something that crosses my mind. She said that if I ever felt like that to tell someone... anyone and to get help.

I hope that it perhaps generates some discussion from parents with their children and maybe it might save a life.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss. :sad1:

My little brother commited suicide 2 years ago next month. He was a Marine and while in Iraq his vehicle hit a rode side bomb. He suffered brain trama. He was in and out of many different hospitals the whole time. Im not sure if I have never noticed it before but now I hear it all the time. It seems like the term "I would just kill myself" or "Id rather shoot myself than..." is very common. I have even heard it on the podcast. I think that having gone through with everything it stands out alot more. I do know that no harm is meant by it.

Disney often puts not-so-pleasant plot devices into their movies. Some hit closer to home then others but I wouldn't say it is wrong to put them in. For you it is suicide and TS3, for someone who lost their mother it could be Dumbo or Bambi, for someone who dealt with infertility it could be UP!.

Part of what makes Disney movies so compelling and such good stories is that they often deal with very adult subject matter even though it is a kids movie at heart.

I'm sorry for those that had to deal with suicide, or anything like that, but if all painful topics were off limits there would be some pretty boring movies produced IMO.

I'm sorry for your loss. To be honest with you, I've seen the movie, and I don't even remember the reference. I think we are more sensitive to things that are close to home.

I have no response concerning Toy Story 3, as I have not seen it yet. But I wanted to say how very very sorry I am for your loss. I know it is difficult to get past loss of a loved one. Especially when the loss is because of suicide. But I hope you are able to come to some peace and move on with your life and enjoy it again. Please do not shut yourself off. Get help if you need it. Talk to someone, talk to everyone.

And again, I' am so sorry for your loss.

Mike

I'm sorry for your loss. To be honest with you, I've seen the movie, and I don't even remember the reference. I think we are more sensitive to things that are close to home.

I was going to say this exact thing, then I saw that Nicole had said it quite eloquently.

I was going to say this exact thing, then I saw that Nicole had said it quite eloquently.

Since I read this thread yesterday, I have also been trying to remember that reference in the movie. Not coming back to me either.

OP: So sorry for your loss, thoughts and prayers to you.

I am so sorry for your loss. :hug:

Same for me. I honestly do not remember the reference at all.
But I do know that when something big is bothering me or has affected me personally- I seem to hear references all around me to that very thing.

I also agree with FireDancer that Disney does inject some very adult topics in all of their movies, and I think they do a nice job of dealing with touchy subjects. Hopefully, it can provide the spark for families dealing with these issues to discuss some sensitive topics with their kids in the context of the movie.

I understand exactly how you are feeling.

In one of the first episodes of the past season of Glee, Finn has a recurring night mare that he is struck by a vehicle.

I'm sure most people dont give it a second thought. I found it impossible to watch and they showed that same scene several times.

I thought "how insensitive" and then came the realization that most people dont have the same experience that you do (thank heavens) and that this holds no meaning for them.

I think traumatic things like this make us hyper-sensitive to things.

It's been a year and I still find myself sensitive to some things.

All that being said....I'm very sorry for what you are going through.

I remember the reference. It was odd for this movie. I'm sorry it hit a soft spot for you...it did for me, too. I had a friend who passed away more than 20 years ago at her own hand. That may be why I noticed it.

I saw the movie just yesterday and am clueless as to the scene mentioned.

Disney often puts not-so-pleasant plot devices into their movies. Some hit closer to home then others but I wouldn't say it is wrong to put them in. For you it is suicide and TS3, for someone who lost their mother it could be Dumbo or Bambi, for someone who dealt with infertility it could be UP!.

My three kids lost their mother at a very early age. My twin daughters were 3 and my son was 6 at the time Mommy lost her battle with cancer.

I used Bambi as a teaching aid for my kids to show them that other people (or deer) go through the same things that they were going through, and not to feel alone. These and other movies and books can be used in a positive light to help chidren understand and talk about the issues they are having with a very adult problem.

Now when my kids see a movie with just one parent, such as "Cloudly with a chance of Meatballs" or "Up", they like to talk about what the characters were feeling, and actually makes them remember Mommy in better times when she was healthy and happy.

I lost a close family member to suicide a few months ago and have had a hard time leaving the house. I finally made it to go see TS3 but was a little disappointed to hear a reference made by one of the characters to suicide. I keep thinking about it and wonder why that word needed to be mentioned in a kids film.
Am I just being oversensitive or does anybody else feel that way?

I don't think you are being oversensitive. I think it's still fresh in your mind, unfortunately. I think sometimes, when things are fresh in our minds, especially if it was a tragedy such as suicide, we can be more "aware" of things or "attuned" to certain remarks that we might not have thought otherwise about, had it not been so recent.

So sorry to hear of your loss

My three kids lost their mother at a very early age. My twin daughters were 3 and my son was 6 at the time Mommy lost her battle with cancer.

I used Bambi as a teaching aid for my kids to show them that other people (or deer) go through the same things that they were going through, and not to feel alone. These and other movies and books can be used in a positive light to help chidren understand and talk about the issues they are having with a very adult problem.

Now when my kids see a movie with just one parent, such as "Cloudly with a chance of Meatballs" or "Up", they like to talk about what the characters were feeling, and actually makes them remember Mommy in better times when she was healthy and happy.

I think that's a great reference. My grandfather had passed away last March. We were very close. This Christmas was bittersweet because it was the first one without him. A week after, I took my girls to see Princess & The Frog. Well, for those who've seen the movie, when the lightning bug dies and goes into the sky, next to the star he referred to as Evangeline, my 4 1/2 year old says to me, "it's kind of like poppy, he can be our Evangeline". I still tear up when I think of it. :littleangel:

Ok, I saw the movie, and have no idea what you are talking about. I scoured the internet to figure out what you are talking about. I'm still clueless.

Are you referring to Sarge and the other Army men jumping out the window? They arrive at Sunnyside alive and well at the end of the movie.

I don't think you're being oversensitive, but (as Kevin said) you're probably hyper-sensitive to what caused your trauma at the moment. I've become really familiar with that phenomenon myself over the past 9 months (my husband and I were in a bad car crash last November). We actually had to leave the Test Track queue in January because I couldn't tolerate standing beside the crash test part of it. Had it ever bothered me before? No. Was it bothering other people in line? Not that I noticed.

Did I notice/recall the suicide reference in TS3? No. Would I remember if they'd been hit by a car? You betcha. Coming from that perspective, I suspect that it'll be something that will hit home with you even if most of the rest of us didn't notice it. If you're concerned, maybe give it some more time first. I'm sure I'll be back on Test Track someday...

I'm very sorry for your loss, and what you're still going through. :hug:

Can you please point me to this post. I too saw the movie but do not know what the OP is talking about.

To the OP - I am sorry for your loss. I know how you feel because my best friend lost her mother to cancer 2 1/2 years ago and every time I hear or see a reference to that I take note. I think Kevin said it best that you just have to realize that everyone has different experiences and it's not that the writers are insensitive, they probably do not realize this may hurt or upset someone.

First of all :hug: and I am sorry for your loss.

I remember the line, they say the same line in another of the Toy Story movies.

I will say this line bothered me also but I lost a childhood friend to suicide and just this year a dear friend of mines son committed suicide in March and the reference really struck me also.

The line bothered me, my 2DS are only 7 and (almost) 10 and I can not begin to explain it to them. They both heard it in the movie and repeated it to me.

I am sure it is because I am sensitive that I remember it is the other Toy Story movie and I remember it from this movie.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter