Almost 25% increase for HULU +live tv next month!

disneyandme

DIS Veteran
This is a ridiculous increase. From $44.99 to $55.99 for NO changes in service. I left cable because of crazy increases like this- no what? I'll have to look at alternatives again, especially for live TV.

I got this email today as well and I'm not happy about it. A $10 increase in one month? Seriously? When I started the service it was $39.99 and was increased to $44.99 already earlier this year. Now this increase? Absolutely ridiculous. I'm already looking at alternatives.

Wow! I dropped Hulu Live last month. Glad that I did. I switched to Sling, because we were able to pick the channels we watch. They have live viewing and archived viewing as well. You can pay $5/month to DVR shows (though I don't see the need- except maybe for sports?). Anyway, it don't have the unique programming that Hulu does, but we're really happy with it. It has Hallmark and Golf, a win-win in our household. I have to check my bill, but I believe we're a bit lower than Hulu, plus Amex is offering a $10 off per month promo right now if you have auto payments on your card. Best thing, is you pick and choose your lineup to an extent and so the price is somewhat in your control.

The Sling dvr service was not the most reliable, but it is better than cable/hulu prices.

Go to YouTube tv. Although it increased from $40 to $50 to add channels including hgtv this year. I’d prefer $40 with fewer channels.

Go to YouTube tv. Although it increased from $40 to $50 to add channels including hgtv this year. I’d prefer $40 with fewer channels.
I love you tube tv, but I was not happy when they raised the price. I would have preferred last channels for the $40/month too.

I just hope the streaming channels do not keep increasing and then we are back to the high prices that caused us to drop cable for streaming.

Anyone have Philo? I was looking at Sling or Philo after I drop cable when football season is over...and I'm now leaning Philo just b/c of price...

We dropped hulu live as well.
We just have plain hulu with disney plus and espn 11 something a month.
We have a clear tv antenna it is amazing for 15.00 its in the seen on tv section at walmart.
We are buying a fire tv recast for my dh for christmas .

There was not a $10 increase to add the channels. YTTV was running in the red roughly $9/user each month. So they did a price increase and brought in a very cheap package which has them about $1-3 in the red each month.

So while they are still in the red advertising profits should be able to easily absorb and put the offering in the black.

The added channels were really just to avoid what Hulu did which was a price increase for nothing in subscribers eyes.

There was not a $10 increase to add the channels. YTTV was running in the red roughly $9/user each month. So they did a price increase and brought in a very cheap package which has them about $1-3 in the red each month.

So while they are still in the red advertising profits should be able to easily absorb and put the offering in the black.

The added channels were really just to avoid what Hulu did which was a price increase for nothing in subscribers eyes.
Seem to be splitting hairs and I'm not sure about your math, but ok!

We are very happy with youtube tv. I did lots of research before we dropped cable and because we need to have multiple people streaming at the same time - youtube tv was the answer. You can have 3 people simultaneously streaming. I sometimes get kicked out but it is much better than only have 2 people on at a time which seems to be most of the plans. We were paying $248 dollars to spectrum every month. We switched to greenlight(for our internet provider) and youtube TV and are paying $110 with taxes. We were already paying for prime and netflix so I did not include them in the total.

I know many places do not have access to greenlight yet but if it becomes available in your area I highly suggest you sign up for it.

We're dropping Hulu with the price increase. We get enough local channels with our antenna. The price increase is exactly why we dropped cable in the first place.

Anyone have Philo? I was looking at Sling or Philo after I drop cable when football season is over...and I'm now leaning Philo just b/c of price...

I have Philo. The channel set fits me and DD perfectly - just look at that and see if it suits you. It works just fine and I'm very happy with it. It includes the ability to "Save" shows (aka DVR) and a lot of on-demand stuff. We use a Roku to access it.

Just be aware there's no way to skip commercials most of the time, even on the DVRed stuff. I think if you've previously watched a show then watch it again, you might be able to but I'm not positive.

Last edited:
I am happy to just wait until the next day and watch my shows on Hulu with no commercials. Best $11.99 I ever spent to not watch commercials :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!