ALL roll-in shower rooms at POFQ now have 2 queen beds!

BillSears

DIS Veteran
I just got back from a wonderful vacation and I stayed at POFQ. I was pretty shocked when I checked into my room and saw 2 queen beds. I almost went back to the front desk to explain that there must have been a mix up but I looked in the bathroom first. WOW, there was a roll-in shower there!

During my trip I spoke to some CMs about it and they said that ALL of the roll-in shower rooms at POFQ had been converted over to the 2 queen beds. It's a shame about no more king beds for the roll-in shower rooms for those who wish to share a big bed but it's great for those who do not want to share beds.

A couple other thing about these rooms is that there is no standard closet, instead an amoire is in the room. Also there is no room for a connecting door so no connecting rooms would be available.

I didn't bring a tape measure so I don't have any measurements but I took some pictures:

As you can see from this picture they added a bit of extra space to the room by removing the entry alcove that is standard on the outside entrance. I was in the room with the red door, room 1111.

Room1111A.jpg

As you enter the room you can see how cramped it is inside. I suppose in some ways it's probably a little roomier than the standard room but it's pretty tight for those of us on wheels. I could move my wheelchair without any problems down the path to the bathroom and I had no trouble going between the beds. But the distance between the far bed and the wall is only about 1 foot so there was no way for me to get there.

I'd guess the bed is about 23 inches high.

The "closet" is the last piece of furniture on the wall and the refrigerator is located under the TV.

Room1111B.jpg

Looking out from the bathroom you can see the entrance and a bit of the table on the far right near the window. On the ceiling you can see how much room was added since there is an outline where the old alcove was.

Room1111C.jpg

The bathroom toilet seemed to be about 20-21 inches high. A bit higher than my standard toilet at home but lower than the seat of my wheelchair. The sink had a cut away underneath that worked fine for me. You can see it's just a single sink not a double like the normal rooms.

Room1111D.jpg

The roll-in shower worked great for me. Usually I seem to get water all over the place in the Disney roll-in showers but this one had a small, maybe 1/4", lip that seemed to do a great job of keeping the rest of the room dry.

Room1111E.jpg

Here's a shot of the seat and the controls. The seat folded up when not in use. I thought the seat was great! No wooden slots to scrape against your butt when transferring. The seat was probably 21-22 inches and seemed a perfect height for my transfers. It was a nice size for me, I never felt like I might slide off because it was too small. It was also very sturdy, I never felt like it was going to move under me while showering or transferring.

The bottom control in the shower diverted the flow from the hand held shower head show to a fixed shower hear just out of the picture at the top. A very nice feature!

Room1111F.jpg

Overall I'd be very happy to get this room again. The bed could have been an inch or two lower and of course I'd always like more floor space but other that that I thought this was a very good design.

Wow! Thanks for the great report and pics! We just might have to check this out on our next trip.

Did you find the closet useable or was the interior bar still a ways up?

Mary

They had two bars in the closet, one accessed through one door and the other from the other door.. One worked great for the smaller stuff and the other would hold dresses, I think. Both were lower down than normal and I could reach then easily.

But the closet has two doors on it. When you're in a wheelchair you can only open one door at a time. If you open a door then it blocks the walkway so you can't get both open at once and still get into the closet. Plus you needed to turn around and approach from the correct side to be able to open the doors. So I would often have to open the door, see I needed something from the other side, then go into the bathroom or over to the spot between the beds to turn around then I could get the right side open.

Thanks for the great description and the great pictures.:thumbsup2

You always come thru with great information.

Wow! Disney really did a lot to these roll-in shower rooms. So many things have been addressed. POR and POFQ are my "home" resorts.

First, two beds to accommodate 4 people, for equal accommodation per ADA. It's a good business move for Disney. Also, many guests don't like the idea of sharing one bed. DD and I would prefer separate beds. On the other hand, with the King bed set-up, I kept my scooter between the bed and the bathroom wall. Now I can't do that. Looking at the pictures, it looks like my scooter will have to be between the bed and the door to the outside. Hope there's an outlet there. Under the window, is that the A/C unit that looks like a wood box?

In the bathroom, is the entry doorway wider? When I turn the corner out of the bathroom with my scooter, I have left my mark on many doors and frames. I like the new, big sink. I notice cubbies in the wall. Is that where the hair dryer is now? Maybe you didn't notice. The cubbies are good for bath/beauty stuff. My DD brings a ton of that stuff. I tell her it's hopeless -- when she gets my age she will look like me no matter what she uses on her face! ;)

I like the shower area. It looks like new wall tile. The seat is much better than that wooden slat thing I used to sit on. I like the choice of the hand sprayer or regular shower head. DD and I were constantly re-adjusting the location of the hand shower before. And, egads! A soap dish. No more half-used soap and shampoo left on the shower seat!

I agree about the height of the beds being a tad high. All-in-all, a little tight, but some sensible improvements. Good job, Disney! :)

Wow! I'm really impressed. I'm assuming that the other mods will follow suit and am hoping that the value resorts can do the same with the two double beds they provide. They've always had that armoire vs. a closet. Is that an ironing board hanging by the front door? --Kathy

fantastic we have ours booked for next year though lol we will be synchronised wheelchair dancing with two of us .But then we are not planning spending much time in the room so as long as can get to the bathroom and use it I am happy

Are the rooms beside and above also wheelchair accessible, since it looks like they also have the modified doors??

If so, great for when more than 1 accessible room is required.

What part of the resort is this room? Is it close to parking/main hall?

Thanks, Lynn

I didn't know the rooms are available already. I've been worrying about this for a December trip.

Are the rooms beside and above also wheelchair accessible, since it looks like they also have the modified doors??

Thanks, Lynn

I'm guessing the white door to the right of the picture is not accessible because it does not have a lower peephole that is needed for guests sitting in wheelchairs to be able to look out the door to see who is knocking without opening the door.

...Under the window, is that the A/C unit that looks like a wood box?

In the bathroom, is the entry doorway wider?

I notice cubbies in the wall. Is that where the hair dryer is now? Maybe you didn't notice.

Yep the box is the AC/Heat unit. It has a small bench on top of it.

The entrance to the bathroom has a nice wide pocket door that slides into the wall near the beds.

Hair dryer???? I didn't look for one. :rotfl2:

... Is that an ironing board hanging by the front door? --Kathy

Yep a full sized ironing board. I didn't see where the iron was kept but I assume it's somewhere in the room.

Thanks, Lynn

I was in bulding 1 which is about as far away from the main hall as possible. It had 10 HC units in it on various floors and views. But I also noticed other rooms around the resort that had been changed to this style. So while building 1 had 10 units other buildings had other H/C rooms also.

Sue is correct that the room next to mine did not appear to be a roll-in shower room. In all of the instances where I saw a room with 2 peepholes the room next door only had the 1 standard height peephole. This is just a wild guess but maybe they've made these rooms into rooms with grab bars and a tub?

Also, according to the ADA, they have to offer rooms in a variety of views and configurations that are available to guests without disabilities. So, if they have non-accessible King rooms or connecting rooms, they also have to have accessible rooms in those same categories.

This may be where the charges for King accessible rooms reports are coming from. They may have added that into the computer as an option ( which could be an increased charge, the same as for non-accessible rooms), but not explained it well to the staff who are actually doing the reservations.

Also, according to the ADA, they have to offer rooms in a variety of views and configurations that are available to guests without disabilities. So, if they have non-accessible King rooms or connecting rooms, they also have to have accessible rooms in those same categories.

This may be where the charges for King accessible rooms reports are coming from. They may have added that into the computer as an option ( which could be an increased charge, the same as for non-accessible rooms), but not explained it well to the staff who are actually doing the reservations.

That makes perfect sense as far as charges for king accessible rooms. This is much more equitable than in the past, esp. since we are no longer *only* able to get a king room. I LOVE the new updates as if I stay with my grandkids I don't want to share a bed with them but still want to be in the same room. I'm sure this will be helpful for other families also and for those who travel with a caregiver who do not wish to share a bed but also do not wish to place someone on a rollaway for comfort's sake. Kudos to WDW for this major improvement!---Kathy

I think this is an issue wher the clearifications in ADA 2009 has helped, plus I am sure having to give away a second room was a factor also. Good job WDW.

and the CM did not indicate much hope for this to happen at the existing value resorts. I'm still hoping the new resort, Art of Animation, may have this set up, too.

We stayed there in building 2 in Feb while they were remodeling building 1. We watched as they loaded all the old furniture and fixtures on donation truck.

Cindy

and the CM did not indicate much hope for this to happen at the existing value resorts. I'm still hoping the new resort, Art of Animation, may have this set up, too.

The majority of the rooms at Art of Animation will be family suites with only one section being regular rooms. The CM's that answer the phones really know nothing of construction plans and are just speculating. I'm hopeful that they can modify the value rooms also.---Kathy

The moderate-size rooms (314 sqft) that were re-done at POFQ look as tight as can be. I would have a hard time imagining that value-size rooms (260 sqft) would be big enough to pull off this configuration.

I am going to assume, per ADA requirements, that Art of Animation family suites will have some roll-in shower rooms, but I don't have a good guess how the master will be configured.

The moderate-size rooms (314 sqft) that were re-done at POFQ look as tight as can be. I would have a hard time imagining that value-size rooms (260 sqft) would be big enough to pull off this configuration.

I am going to assume, per ADA requirements, that Art of Animation family suites will have some roll-in shower rooms, but I don't have a good guess how the master will be configured.

I agree.
It's one thing to pull it off with as much room as the Moderates, but I don't think the Value rooms have enough space.

I would also agree that they will have to make at least some of the Family suites accessible.

Thank you, Bill, for the great photos and descriptions.

The room looks great.

Great job WDW.

Ray :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!