All New Picture of the Day Thread - 01/25/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
DSC03989.jpg

Morning everyone! Looks like the thread will be closing soon since we are at the 250 page limit.

Well...here you go then....

When the old thread stopped, two new threads got started....this one took off, but the other one is still relatively low in page counts (only 30 so far):

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1718585&page=30

When they close this one, we can just continue there. Some of us have been posting on both threads....

Ooooo, I love that! It is so hard to take decent pics in the China store, as it is kind of dark. :thumbsup2

I think Asia is my favorite themeing. Sigh. :goodvibes

Thanks DisneyMom5!

My POTD in honor of a beautiful sunny morning:

April_16.jpg

Thanks for the kind words on my MK photo everyone! That one really makes me want to be back there too!! Heres mine for today, passing the General Joe Potter on the way to the MK...
original.jpg

Thanks for the kind words on my MK photo everyone! That one really makes me want to be back there too!! Heres mine for today, passing the General Joe Potter on the way to the MK...
original.jpg
GREAT photo We-Luv-Disney
WDW's navy is one of my favorite subjects to photograph, and the renaming of this ferry in honor of General Joe Potter is a nice way in which WDW has paid homage to some of those who helped in it's beginnings(which was known until 1999 as The Kingdom Queen), you see General Potter had a long career with the US Army Corps of Engineers and so when the job of re-shaping the Florida Swampland into something suitable for the construction of a resort destination began he was a natural for such a big job, he had worked overseeing the construction of Dams, levees, airstrips, power stations his whole career. His last assignment with the corps of Engineers had been as governor of the Panama Canal Zone, during what proved to be a particularly turbulent period, when that assignment ended in 1960 he didn't feel that an appropriate assignment was made available to him (possible because of the problems he had faced in Panama) and he left the COE, in a way that was quite lucky ofr us, because just at that time Robert Moses was looking for an executive Vice president to help with the construction of the New York Worlds Fair that was to begin in 1964 in flushing meadows, Queens, New York, if not for taking that job he likely would not have began his association with Walt Disney, who got to know the General through the four projects Disney was producing for various sponsors at that fair. In 1965 Walt hired Potter away from the fair to help with "The Florida project" General Potter retired from Walt Disney Productions in 1973 when he founded a consulting business with long time Disney manager and construction boss Admiral Joe Fowler.

Admiral Fowler had ran the San Fransisco naval shipyard during WW II, when Walt was looking for a naval expert to help with the building of the Mark Twain Steamship in 1954 for the then under-construction Disneyland, he found the retired General supervising the construction of tract homes in the San Francisco region, he hired him, not just to help with the Mark Twain but as construction boss for the whole Disneyland project, after the building of Disneyland Fowler stayed on as General Manager of the park for it's first 10 years a period in which a lot MORE construction occurred, eventually as the Florida project began he transferred onto it, bringing his vital experience and knowledge to the construction of Walt Disney World. He retired around the same time as Potter though he too continued on as a consultant (I've seen pictures of him visiting the Epcot construction site) originally the first steam ship in the Magic Kingdom was named for the Admiral, and when a second steam ship was added to the Rivers of America in 1973 it was named for imagineer Richard F Irvine, but that original Fowler was damaged during a refurbishment in 1980 (it slipped in its cradle and the hull cracked) as so many attractions had been added to the Magic Kingdom since it first opened it was decided that having TWO steamships in the Magic Kingdom was not necessary so that ship was scrapped though some bits and pieces were salvaged and either re-used at places like Typhoon Lagoon or sold a property Control sales
http://bigbrian-nc.livejournal.com/#entry_1152
in the Mid 1990's the second Liberty Square riverboat the Richard F Irvine was renamed the Liberty Belle, so in 1999 with WDW's 30th anniversary only two years away it was decided to re-name the ferries of the Seven Seas lagoon The Magic Kingdom, Magic Kingdom II, and Kingdom Queen in honor of these three men The Magic Kingdom I was renamed the Admiral Joe Fowler and has green panels. The Magic Kingdom II was renamed the Richard F. Irvine and has red panels, The Kingdom Queen was renamed the General Joe Potter and has blue panels.

wdw-06-17-07%20488.jpg

http://legends.disney.go.com/legends/detail?key=Joe+potter

http://legends.disney.go.com/legends/detail?key=Joe+Fowler

http://www.aednet.org/ced/jan98/disney.htm

original.jpg

I love your pics! I saw that your from MB, we live in Florence, so I had to say hi!

The fly over at Epcot. There were cast members out on all the rooftops with cameras. The Thunderbirds were a stirring sight!

IMG_3495lo.jpg

Sharla

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter