• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

All Good Things Come To Those That Wait - A Pre-trip Report

Which outfit are you taking this time?

The upcoming cruise I'm following your lead and skipping Pirate dinner in favor of Palo, but I made sure we'll get out in time for the deck party. I think that's so much fun.

The teal gown is coming again. I have booked dinner at Palo again for Pirate Night.

Not long now, hope everything arrives in time.

Time is definitely creeping up on me. I am hoping that everything arrives on time, too.

Oh wow I've missed sooooo much but just managed to catchup :cheer2:

OMG Corinna I can't believe how quick your holiday is coming around, you must be getting so excited :thumbsup2

I hope all your deliveries arrive this week & look forward to the updates :coffee:

Yes, I am getting rather excited. The dresses are still tracking in the city of origin so that will be touch and go. I have what I need for the Secret Mickey gifts now. So I can get creative. My jewellery is finished now and this will be the topic for the updated that is coming up and my door spotter is also under control now. The door spotter and the jewellery will go straight to Miami.

Here's hoping that you have a great love relationship with the Pirate's night.

I don't think this will ever happen.

Corinna

Apart from my custom gowns, I also use the cruises as an excuse for some custom jewellery. I have been working for years with an amazing jewellery artist from New Hampshire. Kythryne just gets me even though we have never actually met in person. However crazy my ideas have been, she always came up with something truly stunning. Sometimes things evolved from the initial idea and this has never been more than this time round, but I have yet to get a piece of jewellery that I am not absolutely delighted with. So when I cautiously started to plan this trip, I approached her straightaway to see if she was willing to work with me on some custom pieces. To my delight she agreed.

Photos by Kythryne (www.wyrdingstudios.com)

For the Golden Mickeys gown, I wanted something quite simple as the dress is the main statement and I just wanted something that subtly complements this. She does gorgeous neckvines, which are very simply wire necklaces. Most are just plain swirly wire, but occasionally she does ornament them with other things. I had a vision of a gold neckvine ornamented with dark blue flowers. She found some dark blue flowers for me and also suggested to add some indigo blue Swarovski crystals. I loved what she had come up with. However, the design evolved further. She had got some wire with a blue coating and suggested that we go for kind of a reverse of the dress with the bulk of the jewellery being blue with some harvest gold wire incorporated as accent. I happily agreed to this. This is the kind of jewellery that I will wear at work, too.

Then we hit a snag. My gowns arrived and instead of dark blue embroidery, it was dark purple. I really loved this, but this meant that the jewellery would no longer match. Fortunately she had not started on this and we could go back to the drawing board. We were discussing at one stage using flower beads that we had originally got for the other necklace, but in the end, she decided on different flower beads. The end result is this:

Untitled by kythryne, on Flickr

The second set is entirely more elaborate. A few months ago, I saw a gorgeous set of jewellery that Pam who follows my trip reports had commissioned. I predominantly wear silver, but through my regular trips to the Middle East, I have fallen in love with rose gold over the last few years. She came up with the idea for her jewellery to combine silver and rose gold. I could not believe that I had never thought of this. I also absolutely loved the style of the jewellery. Forgive me, Pam, I just had to steal that idea. Whereas Pam had gone for quite natural colours, I was looking for something a little bolder. I wanted it to work with both of the other gowns so I asked for purple and blue to represent the two dresses and pink to kind of tie it all together. Kythryne had found some gorgeous purple flowers online that she thought would work for this. I instantly loved them and saw that the same supplier also did some transparent purple flowers. We originally agreed that we would go for a mix of both.

Well, again the project evolved. In the end we came to the conclusion that the dark purple flowers did not work with the dresses. I am glad that I had seen the lighter purple. We added some light blue glass leaves to the mix. We also decided on some beads that shift the colour between lilac and blue depending on the light. Somewhere along the way, the pink got dropped and instead we added some white pearls. I really love how everything looks together.

Kythryne also turned out a godsend in another regard. A friend of hers and fellow jewellery artist offered pendants for sale that consisted of vintage crackle chandelier crystals. She knows that I adore those and tagged me in a post on Facebook. She agreed that if we could come to an agreement, she would be happy to add this to package that she will ship to our hotel in Miami. I was very quick to jump on this, as the pendant is absolutely gorgeous and better still, the wirework is rose gold. I am going to wear this with the gown that I got for Prince and Princess night. (Photos by Antika Nueva)

This then turned into an inspiration for something else. I had seen pendants from the same artist were she had placed trees made from wire and semi-precious stone on crackle chandelier crystal. I always wanted one of those and asked her if she could make one to go with my purple gown. As the gown is so simple, I wanted something that is simple in itself, but also has a wow factor. I think we have succeeded.

The jewelry is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!!! She is an amazing artist, wow!

I love all of them, everything is stunning!

The jewelry is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!!! She is an amazing artist, wow!

I love all of them, everything is stunning!

She definitely is and also an amazing person. My life is so much richer for her having touched it.

Corinna

The jewelry is stunning! I bet you are getting excited with the trip so close!

Jill in CO

The jewelry is stunning! I bet you are getting excited with the trip so close!

Jill in CO

Thanks. I am getting very excited, but I am also a bit nervous. I have quite a lot of stuff to do at work before I go away and I only have 11 working days left.

Corinna

WOW! The jewellery is stunning. You're definitely going to be the Belle of the cruise. Can't wait to see all the pictures with gowns and jewellery put together.

I am with you sister on the marmite quality of Pirate night. Love it or hate it and I too have a love/hate feel for it. But I have come to understand the P stands for Palo lol. So for us Pirate night is def Palo night. The Caribbean Menu is non inspiring at best vile at worst! I met a lady and her DH who go along to the MDR's to enjoy the atmosphere eat a small amount if any and then go to a Palo ressie later. Great idea!

Like you I love the characters and the dress up Not bothered by deck parties. I love going to Palo as a pirate lol. Why they don't keep it themed and just get rid of the menu I will never know.

Oh my love the bling! I recall that cadbury colour arriving instead of the blue you were expecting! I am glad for the work around. I like costume jewellery. I love a website called trudiamonds in the UK. Have you ever used them? I have several pieces. All the sparkle of real diamonds without the stress I will lose them!

I love Swarovski crystals. There is a fabulous store in Bluewater. Oh my you are going to look the Biz Corinna. I think we might need Corinna cam on board! So we can watch your reveal , coming down those stairs like at the end of Titanic ( sob ) ...

WOW! The jewellery is stunning. You're definitely going to be the Belle of the cruise. Can't wait to see all the pictures with gowns and jewellery put together.

Thanks. I really need to something about pre-ordering the photo CD.

I am with you sister on the marmite quality of Pirate night. Love it or hate it and I too have a love/hate feel for it. But I have come to understand the P stands for Palo lol. So for us Pirate night is def Palo night. The Caribbean Menu is non inspiring at best vile at worst! I met a lady and her DH who go along to the MDR's to enjoy the atmosphere eat a small amount if any and then go to a Palo ressie later. Great idea!

Like you I love the characters and the dress up Not bothered by deck parties. I love going to Palo as a pirate lol. Why they don't keep it themed and just get rid of the menu I will never know.

Oh my love the bling! I recall that cadbury colour arriving instead of the blue you were expecting! I am glad for the work around. I like costume jewellery. I love a website called trudiamonds in the UK. Have you ever used them? I have several pieces. All the sparkle of real diamonds without the stress I will lose them!

I love Swarovski crystals. There is a fabulous store in Bluewater. Oh my you are going to look the Biz Corinna. I think we might need Corinna cam on board! So we can watch your reveal , coming down those stairs like at the end of Titanic ( sob ) ...

I love Swarovski crystals, too. I had a look at the website and they have some very pretty pieces. Are they synthetic gem stones?

I have learned over the years to make quite the entrance ;)

The silver and rose gold looks wonderful together.

I really love how this has turned out. I have to thank Pam for being the inspiration there. I can't wait until I hold it in my hands.

Corinna

Re TruDiamonds yes they are made in a lab but my do they sparkle! I have been delighted with mine. They are as hard as diamonds and set with gold or platinum or white gold.

Here is what the website says...

Tru-Diamonds™ gems are sourced from the foremost simulated diamond producers in the world. Each gem is cut, polished and crafted under the most stringent criteria of colour, quality, size and shape resulting in gems with the brilliance, fire and lustre usually only seen in rare, top-grade diamonds. Manufactured by a process that heats rare minerals to a temperature of over 5,000 degrees Fahrenheit, Tru-Diamonds™ are cut from the cubic crystalline form of zirconium dioxide (ZrO2) (CZ) which, when synthesized, is very hard and optically flawless. It should not be confused with zirconium silicate (ZrSiO4), sometimes erroneously called "cubic zirconium".

Tru-Diamonds™, with their superior characteristics give you the look, the luxury and the prestige of top grade diamond jewellery without the high price and, as they are produced in state-of-the-art facilities, there is no chance they could be blood diamonds or that they cause large-scale damage to the environment.

Not cheap but not as expensive as the real thing! I got Jo some 'tiffany style diamond earrings' for her birthday. I was able to pay in 3 instalments. She was delighted!

Re TruDiamonds yes they are made in a lab but my do they sparkle! I have been delighted with mine. They are as hard as diamonds and set with gold or platinum or white gold.

Here is what the website says...

Tru-Diamonds™ gems are sourced from the foremost simulated diamond producers in the world. Each gem is cut, polished and crafted under the most stringent criteria of colour, quality, size and shape resulting in gems with the brilliance, fire and lustre usually only seen in rare, top-grade diamonds. Manufactured by a process that heats rare minerals to a temperature of over 5,000 degrees Fahrenheit, Tru-Diamonds™ are cut from the cubic crystalline form of zirconium dioxide (ZrO2) (CZ) which, when synthesized, is very hard and optically flawless. It should not be confused with zirconium silicate (ZrSiO4), sometimes erroneously called "cubic zirconium".

Tru-Diamonds™, with their superior characteristics give you the look, the luxury and the prestige of top grade diamond jewellery without the high price and, as they are produced in state-of-the-art facilities, there is no chance they could be blood diamonds or that they cause large-scale damage to the environment.

Not cheap but not as expensive as the real thing! I got Jo some 'tiffany style diamond earrings' for her birthday. I was able to pay in 3 instalments. She was delighted!

There are some really nice pieces there. I really like some of the coloured square pendants and I am not normally the diamond type.

Corinna

No nor me re diamonds. My heart belongs to Tanzanite. Can't wait to get into International Diamonds next!

I look forward to seeing your jewellery with your dresses :-)

No nor me re diamonds. My heart belongs to Tanzanite. Can't wait to get into International Diamonds next!

I look forward to seeing your jewellery with your dresses :-)

I hear you and was surprised that they did not have any lab created Tanzanite on the website. I love Tanzanite.

Corinna

The jewelry is really beautiful and will look great with all your pretty gowns. I can't wait to see the pictures!

The jewelry is really beautiful and will look great with all your pretty gowns. I can't wait to see the pictures!

Thanks. I can't wait until I can go on this trip and wear all the beautiful things that I got for this. It is getting so close now.

Corinna

Two weeks from today, I am officially on leave and just have to take care of getting a manicure and get my packing done. I can't quite believe how close this is getting now.

I am in the middle of three days off in a row after working seven days in the row. Before I get to go on this trip, I have another period of working 7 days in a row, three days off together and then another 3 days at work. Time will just fly.

With being at home at the moment, this trip has been very much on my mind and I have sorted out a number of things for it and will do some more stuff before I head back to work on Friday.

I am normally an absolutely last minute packer. Packing is my least favourite aspect of any trip. I tend to avoid this for as long as I can and have been known to start packing about half an hour before I had to leave for the airport. So I found it very disconcerting when yesterday, I suddenly felt a strong urge to pack. Fortunately I was out of the house a lot yesterday so I could not give in to that temptation. I did find myself compiling mental packing lists all day though.

Something good has come out of this. I have found on our previous Panama Canal cruise that I much prefer wearing sun dresses around the ship on the sea days. I realized that after the wardrobe purge I recently had, I am one dress short. I had an email from a shop that I use regularly and they had a 24 hour sale on and I got a real bargain on this maxi dress, which I will wear on the day we are doing Palo Brunch:

Speaking of Palo Brunch and mental packing lists, I had originally planned on wearing the shoes that I wanted to take for Palo on the flight. I then figured that I would be more comfortable wearing sandals with adjustable straps as my feet tend to swell on long flights. I don't really want to pack any closed shoes as they are quite heavy. The Palo dress code on the DCL website used to state that sandals were not allowed, but now it only refers to flip flops and tennis shoes as not being acceptable. So I hope I will get away with those:

However, I read some reports of people being refused for wearing leather sandals so I decided to play it safe and ordered those today:

They are designed to fit in a purse and this is precisely where they will be on the flight over.

There are a few things that have allowed myself to pack. I have packed my make up bag to make sure if I have everything I need. Initially I way overpacked this so it was a good idea to do this in advance and not at the last minute. I am also planning to pack my jewellery to make sure that I do not forget anything. Most of the jewellery I don't have to worry about as I will get this when I check in at the hotel in Miami, but I have my pirate jewellery, my tiara and I will also pack a set of neckvines so that I am covered for any pendants that may be in the package. I have gone over our wash kit. This remains packed between trips and I was not sure if I needed to replace some stuff in it. I knew for sure that I had run out of biodegradable sunscreen, but I had already bought this. Fortunately all I need in that respect is some deodorant and I will pick up a couple of travel sizes of this tomorrow.

I also managed to spend some more money. I mentioned in my last update that that we had agreed on one kind of beads for the gold set and then when I received the first photos, the beads were different. I have to admit that I had wondered about this, but as I loved the set that I am getting, I did not say anything. A couple of days ago, Kythryne did a website updated and as part of this, she had a necklace and a bracelet with the beads that I had thought I was getting with a comment that she used the wrong beads on a custom project and was therefore selling this set at a discount. So of course I jumped on this. I have to admit that I think the set she did for me to go with the gold and purple gown works probably better than what we had originally planned, but I still love it and it will go perfectly with the other two purple dresses that I am going to take to wear at dinner.

I finally managed to get around to book my character call for this cruise. I had originally planned to book it for this for this week, but kind of forgot about this. I have now ordered it for next week Friday, which is one week before I get on the Wonder.

I also managed to sort something else out. Some of you may know that I am absolutely mad about peanut butter. I therefore adore chocolate with peanut butter. My favourites used to be the Ghirardelli Peanut Butter Squares, but unfortunately they no longer make those. Pam introduced me to the Dove Promises Peanut Butter chocolates and they are even nicer. I have tried very hard to make them last, but they are nearly all gone. So I was in no doubt that I have to get some more. I checked the Dove website and found out that there is a stockist about a block from the hotel, which is a CVS pharmacy. They open at 7:00 AM in the morning so I will have plenty of time to do some shopping before we have to head for the port. Do any of the people from the USA on here know if CVS sells wine? There is a Walgreens a bit further away and I know they definitely sell wine, but if CVS sells Wine, then I only have to go to one shop.

The last bit of news is not related to this trip, but I thought I share anyway anyway. Today I managed to book 10 nights at Aulani for my birthday trip in November. I went with a hotel room rather than the studio as this cost less points and I have never used the microwave anyway. As far as I can see, the lack of a microwave and the fact that it has two beds instead of a bed and a sofa are the only differences.

Corinna

Lots of stuff going on :)

The new necklace and bracelet are simple but beautiful. I need to get something like this for more versatile wear.

I'm glad you liked the Dove chocolates!

Congratulations on booking Aulani!!! How long is that trip? I had no idea they have the regular rooms available on points.

Lots of stuff going on :)

The new necklace and bracelet are simple but beautiful. I need to get something like this for more versatile wear.

I'm glad you liked the Dove chocolates!

Congratulations on booking Aulani!!! How long is that trip? I had no idea they have the regular rooms available on points.

That was my reasoning behind getting this set. Apart from that I am sure that I will wear this on the cruise, it will also perfect for wearing at work.

Liking does not even come close as far as the Dove chocolates are concerned. They are absolutely delicious. I will get one bag to enjoy on the cruise and a couple to take home.

The whole trip will be 17 days. I am planning a stopover at Disneyland in both directions.

Corinna

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter