Alec Baldwin shoots/kills cinematographer and injured director after firing a "prop gun".

Still can't wrap my head around using real working weapons on a set or trusting other people to this extent, just senseless.
Me neither. I buy that he may not have pulled the trigger because it was a quirky old replica weapon that was likely to go off with just a bump. I also think that even if he did check, it would maybe be beyond his expertise to identify blanks from real bullets etc. No real bullets should have ever been in that gun! It was a movie set, so guns could end up being pointed at various people for dramatic effect. The rule to never point your gun at anyone doesn't make sense on a set, so why even use real weapons? Can't the prop department make a replica that doesn't even hold bullets, and have the sound department put the noise in later? It all seems so reckless to me.

Me neither. I buy that he may not have pulled the trigger because it was a quirky old replica weapon that was likely to go off with just a bump. I also think that even if he did check, it would maybe be beyond his expertise to identify blanks from real bullets etc. No real bullets should have ever been in that gun! It was a movie set, so guns could end up being pointed at various people for dramatic effect. The rule to never point your gun at anyone doesn't make sense on a set, so why even use real weapons? Can't the prop department make a replica that doesn't even hold bullets, and have the sound department put the noise in later? It all seems so reckless to me.

I agre, though as a producer on the movie he is culpable for how that set was run, apparently quite lax on safety. I also don't understand why these would be real weapons capable of firing at all.

There are purists who will critique the firearms used and whether or not they're real. However, those effects that you state are very expensive if they look right. I've seen plenty of effects that were really bad. Real guns, blanks, and an armorer are actually cheaper than hiring a top-notch effects company. Even when they use real guns and blanks, the digital effects used to simulate or modify the look of gunfire with (let's say Marvel) movies is very expensive.

One of Baldwin's first movies involved handling a gun - over 30 years ago. He co-starred with an actor who had made a career out of gun-handling on screen. I don't swallow the whole bit about not understanding that his gun could go off. 1990 scene with Alec Baldwin getting onscreen advice about guns

I've only seen one other credit (30 Rock where he handled a Smith & Wesson Schofield) of his where he ever handled a single-action revolver. You may not buy it, but I could see how he didn't quite know the ins and outs of the particular firearm that he was handling.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Alec_Baldwin

I don't think anybody's "buying it," bc... :rotfl2:

But -- worst case scenario: if he "didn't quite know the ins and outs of the particular firearm he was handling,"

...wait for it...

He should have checked to see if it was loaded before he killed one person and wounded another.

I guess everyone is judging from their own prospective, I’ve never even seen a real gun, it would never occur to open it up to see if it was loaded, or be able to recognize real bullets. I’ve never been taught gun safety. If I was told it was a prop, I wouldn’t know not to point it.

I guess everyone is judging from their own prospective, I’ve never even seen a real gun, it would never occur to open it up to see if it was loaded, or be able to recognize real bullets. I’ve never been taught gun safety. If I was told it was a prop, I wouldn’t know not to point it.
I'm sure there are a lot of folks with the same level of inexperience, but Alec Baldwin is not one of those. He's been in the acting business for decades and is very accustomed to handling guns on-set.

He's also the person IN CHARGE of this particular movie and knew perfectly well that they'd already had two gun incidents within the previous few days. A bunch of his crew QUIT because of safety issues. As a matter of fact, the run-throughs they were doing were necessary because all but ONE camera crew quit that day because of gun-safety problems. With only one camera, they had lighting problems in the set where they were filming -- that's why they were practicing...to get the lighting right.

Many people, especially those who have never handled guns, would have an understandable reason for making a safety mistake with a gun. But Baldwin is not in that group at all.

My experience level is pretty close to yours. I would likely avoid handling it altogether.

But, putting myself in a situation that I had to, like for a play or a movie or something, I imagine I’d safety check it first the same way I check to make sure the dishwasher and dryer are off if I’m leaving the house (potential for fire) or the way I double and even triple check a medication before I shoot it into someone’s vein (potential for lethal dosing), etc. That’s just how I am. And even though I have not been aware (until reading these threads) that you never aim a gun at someone unless you mean to shoot, I just think it’s something I would never do because it’s common sense.

I agree that Alex had significant experience with guns on movie sets and should’ve known better about all of these things. To me he acted carelessly. For him to now claim he is blameless is disgusting, as if it couldn’t get any worse. I cannot imagine how Helena’s family felt seeing his interview the other night. If they weren’t mad before, they probably are now!

And if you picked it up and pointed it at someone you would still be responsible for your actions and the results of them.
Just like AB who has handled guns.

What was up with all the dramatic music during the interview? I’m not buying it. He had 30 days to come up with a story and this was the best he could do?

This interview was the worst thing he could have done. He's digging his hole deeper. The gun that was in his hand killed somebody. Guns do not go offer without a force begin applied. Whether it was a finger on the trigger, or a drop of the hammer, either way, it was fired.

He said he feels no guilt. He is in denial. It's likely what his mind is doing to protect his own conscience. But, it would be better for him to shut his mouth.

My hope is that you, and others with the same level of inexperience, would be humble enough to admit not knowing what you don't and would ask for assistance before even handling the firearm. "Prop gun" or otherwise. There is no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to gun safety, even if the question is "how do you know this is a prop gun?"...

My gut tells me Mr. Baldwin is not the kind of guy who would admit to his lack of expertise in firearms, though... If he knew what he was doing, this thread likely would have never been created.

Here's Thell Reed's comments on his daughter. Her attorney is there with him. They blame the dual prop assistant/armorer role for possibly keeping her from examining the gun every single time it was handed to an actor. They attorney claims that sabotage might be the main reason why there was a live round in the gun.

I've only seen one other credit (30 Rock where he handled a Smith & Wesson Schofield) of his where he ever handled a single-action revolver. You may not buy it, but I could see how he didn't quite know the ins and outs of the particular firearm that he was handling.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Alec_Baldwin

All the more reason he had no business pointing it at anyone!

I think AB is a blowhard and he's way too full of himself. If he actually feels no guilt, then he is also a sociopath.

They are issuing warrant for Alec Baldwin's Iphone now. Does that mean investigation is getting more serious?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter