Alec Baldwin shoots/kills cinematographer and injured director after firing a "prop gun".

They are issuing warrant for Alec Baldwin's Iphone now. Does that mean investigation is getting more serious?

Sounds pretty routine to me. There have been several cases where call records or complete information has been subpoenaed for various investigations.

Sounds pretty routine to me. There have been several cases where call records or complete information has been subpoenaed for various investigations.
It is fairly routine, but they would have to have had something that gave them the legal predicate for the subpoena -- some witness saying Baldwin said something on his phone, took a picture...something.

It's getting interesting with Hanna Gutierrez-Reed suing the company that sold the film crew the dummy rounds.

The armorer on the set of “Rust” on Wednesday sued Seth Kenney, the man who supplied ammunition to the production, alleging that he provided a mix of dummy rounds and live bullets, creating the hazard that led to the death of the film’s cinematographer.​
Hannah Gutierrez Reed filed the suit in New Mexico under the state’s unfair trade practices law. In the complaint, her attorneys spelled out her version of the events of Oct. 21, when actor Alec Baldwin fired a shot that killed Halyna Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza.​
“Defendants distributed boxes of ammunition purporting to contain dummy rounds, but which contained a mix of dummy and live ammunition to the Rust production,” the suit states. “Hannah and the entire Rust movie crew relied on the Defendants’misrepresentation that they provided only dummy ammunition. In so doing, Defendants created a dangerous condition on the movie set, unbeknownst to Hannah Gutierrez Reed, which caused a foreseeable risk of injury to numerous people.”​

I don't think this lawsuit is a surprise to anyone. What I do find interesting is that AB refused training on cross drawing a revolver. He would have been taught where to grab and place his hand and trigger finger while drawing and he would have surely been taught to never point a gun in the direction of a person.
It is also mentioned that industry standards are that if a gun is to be pointed at a camera then it would be remotely operated, and that AB ignored at least 15 industry standards.
IMO that all sounds like grounds for a criminal case against him, because again if it was just one of us off the street there certainly would be.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...chins-family-announces-wrongful-death-lawsuit

If so, he'll simply get a slap-on-the-wrist, a finger wag, and a "Tsk...tsk...tsk". He's a celebrity. He's above consequences. 🙄

If so, he'll simply get a slap-on-the-wrist, a finger wag, and a "Tsk...tsk...tsk". He's a celebrity. He's above consequences. 🙄

Both Baldwin and the armourer, Hannah Gutierrez Reed, are being charged. Didn’t he hire her? Will be interesting.

Here's the official release. I'm thinking that they'll probably plea down to about what Hall got. But it also mentions that they're not typically empaneling grand juries now, while choosing an alternate means of charging defendants.

DA to File Criminal Charges​
in ‘Rust’ Shooting​
Producer Alec Baldwin & Armorer to Face
Involuntary Manslaughter Charges in Death of Halyna Hutchins​
Assistant Director Pleads to Negligent Use of Deadly Weapon​
For Immediate Release: January 19, 2023
Contact: Heather Brewer, 505-310-5957, heather@hbstrategiesnm.com
SANTA FE, N.M.—New Mexico First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies announced on Thursday that, in keeping with her commitment to pursue justice for all victims and to hold everyone accountable under the law, her office before the end of the month will file criminal charges in the “Rust” film-set shooting.​
“Rust” actor and producer Alec Baldwin and armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed will each be charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter in the death of Halyna Hutchins on the film’s Santa Fe County set in 2021.​
Assistant director David Halls has signed a plea agreement for the charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon. The terms include a suspended sentence and six months of probation. A copy of the plea agreement will be available after it has been filed with the court.​
No charges will be filed specific to the non-fatal shooting of “Rust” director Joel Souza.​
“After a thorough review of the evidence and the laws of the state of New Mexico, I have determined that there is sufficient evidence to file criminal charges against Alec Baldwin and other members of the ‘Rust’ film crew,” Carmack-Altwies said. “On my watch, no one is above the law, and everyone deserves justice.”​
Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed will be “charged in the alternative” with the two counts of manslaughter, meaning that a jury would decide not simply if they were guilty, but under which definition of involuntary manslaughter they were guilty.​
The first charge can be referred to simply as involuntary manslaughter. For this charge to be proved there must be underlying negligence. Under New Mexico law, involuntary manslaughter is a fourth-degree felony and is punishable by up to 18 months in jail and a $5,000 fine. This charge also includes the misdemeanor charge of negligent use of a firearm, which would likely merge as a matter of law.​
The other charge is involuntary manslaughter in the commission of a lawful act. This charge requires proof that there was more than simple negligence involved in a death. This is also a fourth-degree felony punishable by up to 18 months in jail and up to a $5000 fine. This charge includes a firearm enhancement, or added mandatory penalty, because a firearm was involved. The firearm enhancement makes the crime punishable by a mandatory five years in jail.​
“If any one of these three people—Alec Baldwin, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed or David Halls—had done their job, Halyna Hutchins would be alive today. It’s that simple,” said Andrea Reeb, the special prosecutor appointed by the DA to the case. “The evidence clearly shows a pattern of criminal disregard for safety on the ‘Rust’ film set. In New Mexico, there is no room for film sets that don’t take our state’s commitment to gun safety and public safety seriously.”​
Carmack-Altwies and Reeb will formally file charges with New Mexico’s First Judicial District Court before the end of the month. Following the filing of charges, each defendant will be issued a summons with the charging information. Shortly after receiving the summons each defendant is required to make a “first appearance,” a procedure that is often referred to in other jurisdictions as an arraignment. That first appearance can be done virtually, and defendants can even move to have their first appearance waived. First appearance dates are set by the court, not by the District Attorney.​
Given that the First Judicial District in New Mexico is only impaneling grand juries under certain circumstances due to ongoing COVID restrictions, the next step after first appearance will be a preliminary hearing. In this process, a judge takes on the role of the grand jury. The District Attorney and the special prosecutor present their case to the judge. The judge then rules whether there is probable cause to move forward with a trial. The dates for a preliminary hearing will be set by the court, not by the District Attorney. However, preliminary hearings are typically scheduled within 60 days of charges being filed.​
“There is a very clear process for pursuing justice in this case,” Carmack-Altwies said. “We are committed to upholding the integrity of that process to ensure equal justice under the law.”​
Once charges are filed, more detailed paperwork will be available online through the court that details the evidence the DA and the special prosecutor cite. An announcement will be made to the public when the charges have formally been filed.​
The District Attorney received the final Santa Fe County Sheriff’s report on October 27, 2022, and moved quickly to carefully and thoughtfully review the evidence, allowing the DA to make her decision on charges less than three months after receiving the initiating report.​

I am glad they are finally moving forward with charges. My initial reaction was that the armorer was clearly responsible...but then you read how they had her stretched too thin with two separate roles that should not be done by a single person, and she also states she didn't even know they were practicing that scene etc.

It's just very very sad for all involved and as I have disliked Alec for awhile for his boobish personality... I really hope they make an example out of him instead of giving him a pass.

AND PLEASE find a reason to arrest his dumb wife also. :rotfl2:

I am glad they are finally moving forward with charges. My initial reaction was that the armorer was clearly responsible...but then you read how they had her stretched too thin with two separate roles that should not be done by a single person, and she also states she didn't even know they were practicing that scene etc.

It's just very very sad for all involved and as I have disliked Alec for awhile for his boobish personality... I really hope they make an example out of him instead of giving him a pass.

AND PLEASE find a reason to arrest his dumb wife also. :rotfl2:

They're not going to serve any jail time.

I think its unfair to charge him. Years ago, I was in a production of Phantom of the Opera. There was an effect where the chandelier "fell down" onto the stage. I was told to hit my mark and when some of us expressed concern about the "falling chandelier" we were told something like "don't worry, we pay professionals to deal with that so you can focus on your job - acting." Did I insist on hoisting up to the ceiling to check the restraints and pulleys, etc. No, I did not. Neither did anyone else. People have jobs and are expected to do them. To me, 100% on the armorer.

I think its unfair to charge him. Years ago, I was in a production of Phantom of the Opera. There was an effect where the chandelier "fell down" onto the stage. I was told to hit my mark and when some of us expressed concern about the "falling chandelier" we were told something like "don't worry, we pay professionals to deal with that so you can focus on your job - acting." Did I insist on hoisting up to the ceiling to check the restraints and pulleys, etc. No, I did not. Neither did anyone else. People have jobs and are expected to do them. To me, 100% on the armorer.
This. A good friend is a fight director. As far as he's concerned, the buck 100% stops with him. If an actor screws up, it's because he didn't train them properly. And he would never, EVER, allow live ammo on a set...though I understand there's an allegation that the live ammo was actually the fault of the person who supplied it. Regardless, on no planet is this Baldwin's fault. It's the armorer and/or the ammo supplier.

This. A good friend is a fight director. As far as he's concerned, the buck 100% stops with him. If an actor screws up, it's because he didn't train them properly. And he would never, EVER, allow live ammo on a set...though I understand there's an allegation that the live ammo was actually the fault of the person who supplied it. Regardless, on no planet is this Baldwin's fault. It's the armorer and/or the ammo supplier.

There were several allegations, but I still haven't heard of anything that's been verified. The armorer has sued the ammo supplier - claiming that they might have supplied live ammo instead of dummy rounds. There were some allegations that the crew used the guns on set and did target practice during down time, and that they might have brought real ammo onto the set. But at the very least they did find real ammo on the set, which should never have been there in the first place.

There were several allegations, but I still haven't heard of anything that's been verified. The armorer has sued the ammo supplier - claiming that they might have supplied live ammo instead of dummy rounds. There were some allegations that the crew used the guns on set and did target practice during down time, and that they might have brought real ammo onto the set. But at the very least they did find real ammo on the set, which should never have been there in the first place.
Does live ammo look noticeably different from the fake stuff? Could someone tell just by looking at it?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter