Alec Baldwin shoots/kills cinematographer and injured director after firing a "prop gun".

bcla

On our rugged Eastern foothills.....
Not sure what the deal was, but it has shades of Brandon Lee dying during filming of The Crow. It sounds like it was a real gun used in the filming of some western, but used as a prop where it's not supposed to fire live ammunition. It's being reported by multiple sources, but the shooting happened near Santa Fe, New Mexico, so I thought the local source would be appropriate. Sounds a lot like the armorer on set screwed up.

Actor Alec Baldwin discharged a "prop firearm" that killed a cinematographer and injured the director of the movie Rust, being filmed on a set south of Santa Fe, a county sheriff's office spokesman said late Thursday.​
Halyna Hutchins, 42 and the director of photography for the movie, died at University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque. The film's director, Joel Souza, was hospitalized in Santa Fe, Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office spokesman Juan Ríos said.​
A source close to the investigation said Baldwin, 63, was questioned by investigators late Thursday and was seen by a New Mexican reporter and photographer in tears.​

Seems strange that the cinematographer and director were in the line of fire. Interested to hear, when details are available, how exactly this went down.

I also don’t understand why Hollywood continues to promote gun violence in movies (other than, it sells) when they often proclaim to be anti-gun (except for movie-making and their own personal security details).

At any rate, very sad for all involved. 😪

Rule #1 is always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Sounds like Alec Baldwin should be charged with Manslaughter.

According to Arizona laws, per A.R.S §13-1103 a person can be charged with “Manslaughter” by:

1. “Recklessly” causing the death of another;

Seems strange that the cinematographer and director were in the line of fire. Interested to hear, when details are available, how exactly this went down.

I also don’t understand why Hollywood continues to promote gun violence in movies (other than, it sells) when they often proclaim to be anti-gun (except for movie-making and their own personal security details).

At any rate, very sad for all involved. 😪

If they were shooting a scene, the cinematographer and assistant director were probably standing behind the cameraman and would have been in the line of fire. I don't see how Alec could be charged with manslaughter in this case. He was given the gun by the prop department and it seems like they would have the ultimate responsibility to ensure that the blanks were correctly loaded.

I am not an Alec Baldwin fan at all, but I feel very bad for him - how terrible, This is something that will weigh on him for the rest of his life. Even though it wasn’t his fault, I’m sure he somewhat blames himself - I know I would. So sad!

I would guess they were in the line of fire due to getting the correct camera angles, so it looks like the audience is looking at the gun firing. Thats my guess anyway.

I would absolutely not expect Alec to be charged with anything. It sounds like an awful accident. I don't know whose job it is to secure/check/maintian props on set, but my guess would be that it is that person who is at fault.

Last edited:
I am stymied by the people wondering why Alec was pointing the gun at the victims.

ITS A MOVIE SET. It's a 360 degree firing space. Have you people never watched a movie with gunfire in it?? If they were filming or even rehearsing for an angle that had him firing towards the camera then he was likely pointing in the direction of people. And how many times have we seen actors firing at one another??? It's what happens on a film set.

What an awful tragedy. Just awful.

There is one report that the shot they were doing for the film was one where Baldwin was supposed to aim at the camera. The director and cinematographer were both behind the camera. The prop gun fired one projectile which hit both of them. I suppose when more info comes out it will be more clear.

This is not the first death on a movie set involving a prop gun. Brandon Lee was killed when another actor fired a prop gun at him during a scene. That gun had been previously loaded with blank "dummy bullets" for a different scene, and one had jammed in the barrel when the bullets were replaced with powder charges for explosive effects. That bullet was shot out the muzzle at Brandon. Jon-Erik Hexum accidentally killed himself while playing with a prop gun on a set.

Michael Massee, the actor who shot Brandon Lee, is deceased now, but he said in an interview years after the incident that he still had nightmares about it.

Last edited:
I am stymied by the people wondering why Alec was pointing the gun at the victims.

ITS A MOVIE SET. It's a 360 degree firing space. Have you people never watched a movie with gunfire in it?? If they were filming or even rehearsing for an angle that had him firing towards the camera then he was likely pointing in the direction of people. And how many times have we seen actors firing at one another??? It's what happens on a film set.

What an awful tragedy. Just awful.
After the death of Brandon Lee, muzzle control become a big topic of gun safety on set.

Camera operators are protected with a plexiglass shield and the muzzle should be pointed just off center from the camera operators and others on set.

This seems like a complete breakdown in safety rules on the set of Rust. As producer of Rust, Alec Baldwin is responsible for overseeing all elements of production.

After the death of Brandon Lee, muzzle control become a big topic of gun safety on set.

Camera operators are protected with a plexiglass shield and the muzzle should be pointed just off center from the camera operators and others on set.

This seems like a complete breakdown in safety rules on the set of Rust. As producer of Rust, Alec Baldwin is responsible for overseeing all elements of production.

Baldwin will bear the brunt of suit that follows this tragedy, civilly.. I am sure the production is HEAVILY insured.. I don't see him facing any criminal suits.. The propmaster who oversees the guns will also likely bear responsibility, perhaps negligence. But it is no surprise that someone was in the line of fire on a movie set.

The question I have is, was the discharge during filming or rehearsal or was Baldwin goofing off?

Baldwin will bear the brunt of suit that follows this tragedy, civilly.. I am sure the production is HEAVILY insured.. I don't see him facing any criminal suits.. The propmaster who oversees the guns will also likely bear responsibility, perhaps negligence. But it is no surprise that someone was in the line of fire on a movie set.

The question I have is, was the discharge during filming or rehearsal or was Baldwin goofing off?
There are in my opinion, uncredible reports, that the two shot asked for another take and Alec Baldwin turned towards them and said I should just shoot the two of you and fired.

There is no reason someone should be in the line of fire.

There are no credible reports that live ammunition came into play.

At this point this appears to be a total break down in firearm safety in filming.

https://ascmag.com/blog/filmmakers-forum/filming-with-firearms

I’m not a Baldwin fan either and he does have a history of having a very short fuse. I don’t know what happened, I wasn’t there. I feel very bad for all parties concerned including Baldwin. I wouldn’t want to have to live with that on my conscience for the rest of my life. I think we all have to wait and see what happens before we jump to any conclusions.

While rare - deaths do happen on sets and it seems they usually don't get lasting publicity unless something like this. Usually it is a car accident, crashing plane/helicopter, set malfunction etc. Given it was Baldwin holding a gun it will be discussed a long time, involve more intense investigation.

Previous gun accidents discussed - one self inflicted and Brandon Lee was shot by a BULLET. Complete failure on the set preparing the prop to not inspect it - honestly why is a prop gun ever used with real bullets? The question here will be how was this gun prepared/inspected and how was the scene being shot - safety precautions?

I saw an article that discussed using guns in this way is completely unnecessary with today's technology. Even though some say it's important for flash etc - they said that most movies go back in and redo that digitally anyway. Perhaps it is time for the industry to re-evaluate some safety standards - especially when some things can be replaced by safer methods.

Previous gun accidents discussed - one self inflicted and Brandon Lee was shot by a BULLET. Complete failure on the set preparing the prop to not inspect it - honestly why is a prop gun ever used with real bullets? The question here will be how was this gun prepared/inspected and how was the scene being shot - safety precautions?

I saw an article that discussed using guns in this way is completely unnecessary with today's technology. Even though some say it's important for flash etc - they said that most movies go back in and redo that digitally anyway. Perhaps it is time for the industry to re-evaluate some safety standards - especially when some things can be replaced by safer methods.

That's my question. With today's innovation and technology, shouldn't there be a totally different "prop" that is used for this type of thing, one that by definition cannot kill/injure someone? Worst case scenario would be to use post cgi to add whatever "realness" that doesn't come from the filming.

I also heard this morning that after Brandon Lee's death that so many things changed that this should just.never.happen.

So a lot of productions do use the new technology ( I forget what it’s called) but it’s basically a muzzle on the weapon that still gains a reaction when fired. But it really doesn’t do anything other than make the noise and move a little so it is also realistic for the actor that is using it. And then in post production they add whatever is necessary with CGI. That being said, I do wonder why there were blanks or anything possibly in the piece being used.
A tragic situation all around. May Halyna rest peacefully💜🙏🏻

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter