Alec Baldwin shoots/kills cinematographer and injured director after firing a "prop gun".

If the revolver should have had "blanks", would Alec Baldwin (or any actor) "swinging open the cylinder" been able to distinguish between a blank and a real bullet?
Baldwin's title as an "actor" is irrelevant. He is a professional whose job involves handling a firearm. His ability to distinguish between a live round and a blank is no different than that of a cop. That said, a person properly trained and capable can easily tell the difference between a blank and a live round. If Baldwin couldn't tell the difference, he shouldn't have been permitted to touch the guns.

From the sounds of it and the comments by others who worked with some of these people, their safety record and concern was questionable.

If your vocation is dealing with firing guns, setting off explosions, working with high speed car or helicopters or whatever, you must follow the laws, guidelines, standards, etc. If that's meetings to review, chain of custody of elements in involved, experience, procedures, etc., then opting to veer from that puts people at risk. A movie set, a construction site, law enforcement -- they all have standards.

The fact that a well known actor pulled the trigger makes it headlines, clearly. The fact that it was a 'simple' as a revolver makes it a lot easier for 'us' to try to judge. Seems like it also makes it easier to prevent injury.

If the revolver should have had "blanks", would Alec Baldwin (or any actor) "swinging open the cylinder" been able to distinguish between a blank and a real bullet?
Swinging the cylinder open would reveal whether there was ANYthing in the gun. There should be nothing at all in the cylinder.

If there were ANY kind of cartridge, you'd simply remove it and see what it was.

This is what you should see.

Swinging the cylinder open would reveal whether there was ANYthing in the gun. There should be nothing at all in the cylinder.

If there were ANY kind of cartridge, you'd simply remove it and see what it was.

This is what you should see.

View attachment 616333

There can be two kinds of things that are supposed to go into the cylinder on a film set other than nothing. It would either be dummy bullets or blanks. Purpose made dummy bullets should be pretty easy to tell from live ammo, although with those bullets used in The Crow, they screwed up big time.

Baldwin's title as an "actor" is irrelevant. He is a professional whose job involves handling a firearm. His ability to distinguish between a live round and a blank is no different than that of a cop. That said, a person properly trained and capable can easily tell the difference between a blank and a live round. If Baldwin couldn't tell the difference, he shouldn't have been permitted to touch the guns.

You can't tell the difference in a loaded firearm. The bullet is concealed from view. However, safe firearm practice is to not pointed a loaded weapon at someone. No idea how that translates into film making.

You can't tell the difference in a loaded firearm. The bullet is concealed from view. However, safe firearm practice is to not pointed a loaded weapon at someone. No idea how that translates into film making.

The bullets in a revolver are visible from the exterior. However, because of that, many tight scenes use prop bullets in a cartridge without any explosive. The reports are only that it was a Colt revolver, and around the era of the movie that would have likely been a Colt Navy or Colt Army (aka Peacemaker). Dummy bullets can look different in all sorts of ways, but a lot of them have holes drilled in the case and either rubber insert or absolutely no primer. The only way to tell it wasn't real would be to swing out the cylinder and see the hole or rubber insert where the primer would be on live ammo. A blank is going to require checking the cylinder holes (front and back).

This is a .45 Long Colt dummy set.

005717_02.jpg

Well, I've never lived in a rural area, so there you go. I feel like that is the ONLY justification to own a gun...to protect yourself from wild animals. If I lived in the country and had no neighbors for miles, I'd probably have a shotgun.
If you're living in the city, I'd say you need a small firearm in your purse to protect yourself in the city way more than someone rural needs to protect themselves from wild animals. And if you came here and somehow was able to know, you would probably be shocked to know how many people around you in public have a firearm on them. Almost everyone I know carries a firearm on them or in their vehicle at least.

I disagree. He could have opened the cylinder and then pulled a round out to observe what type of round was in the gun. I agree that in some guns, the bullet is initially concealed, but the gun operator has the responsibility to do whatever is necessary to actually observe the condition of the gun, especially if it's their intent to point it at somebody and pull the trigger.

Last edited:
Baldwin's lawyers likely hard at work to create their version of this women as well as a version of the assistant director. New Mexico is trying to attract additional film making business so economic interests also in play. By standards that would apply to you or I the trigger puller would be charged and I hope that a uniform standard of justice is applied in this case. In theory (at least) we are still a country of laws and not men.

The deeper issue then is will the same standards of justice be applied to Baldwin as would be applied to anyone else. The link below details an accidental shooting in Taos when a 19 year old shot and killed his grandfather with an "unloaded" gun. He was arrested and charged immediately with involuntary manslaughter.

https://www.taosnews.com/news/crime...cle_f8a48da5-e2c4-5e1f-a376-1f9e66a540e4.html

I guess for some since it was an actor using a gun during work time it isn't the same.
I've asked 2 times in this thread if it was just some regular person would people be so quick to say it wasn't his fault. I got no answers.

1 report today that some of the crew were known to use the set guns for live ammo target practice during down times.

This is insane if true.
Those firearms should have been locked up and only taken out when they were needed on the set.
Again, regular gun owners are expected to keep their guns locked and safe from others when not in use, but somehow when it's used as a prop all common sense about firearms goes out the window?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter