Alcohol policy: cans/splits of sparkling wine?

We got little mini-champagne bottles as a fish extender gift. Based on the number of cabins in our FE group (10) I would assume that the cruise treated them as 1/4th a bottle of wine when they were brought on

I'd take regular bottles of sparkling and use one of these. . .

61nuTHegafL._SL1500_.jpg

it will keep it fresh for days - even if it starts to lose a few bubbles, you wont notice the lack of bubbles once you mix it with OJ. . .

We got little mini-champagne bottles as a fish extender gift. Based on the number of cabins in our FE group (10) I would assume that the cruise treated them as 1/4th a bottle of wine when they were brought on
Assuming the person who brought them onboard let DCL know they were bringing them aboard. If they were stashed somewhere to escape detection, then DCL wouldn't have stopped them.

The policy says TWO. BOTTLES. of wine/champagne. I did read of someone who tried bringing a 4 pack of smaller wine bottles onboard and they would only allow two of them, even though the total ml of all 4 bottles fell within the total allowed max of 1500ml.

Assuming the person who brought them onboard let DCL know they were bringing them aboard. If they were stashed somewhere to escape detection, then DCL wouldn't have stopped them.

The policy says TWO. BOTTLES. of wine/champagne. I did read of someone who tried bringing a 4 pack of smaller wine bottles onboard and they would only allow two of them, even though the total ml of all 4 bottles fell within the total allowed max of 1500ml.

Fair enough; always possible they cheated and got away with it, though I recall our carry-on bags were x-rayed and searched you'd think 10 mini-bottles of bubbly would be hard for DCL to miss. But I will say, it was an awesome FE gift!!!

Is does make me wonder if they should consider re-writing the policy? As splits of wine and such have become more common it would make sense to write the policy as 6 bottles no larger than 12 ozs.

Also do they allow you bring on wine and beer in the same amount at port and not have you check it? We have never brought on wine at port just hard liquor and checked it as we re-board.

Is does make me wonder if they should consider re-writing the policy? As splits of wine and such have become more common it would make sense to write the policy as 6 bottles no larger than 12 ozs.

Also do they allow you bring on wine and beer in the same amount at port and not have you check it? We have never brought on wine at port just hard liquor and checked it as we re-board.
Yes, you are allowed to bring onboard the 2 bottles of wine or 6 cans of beer from ports of call, also.

I, too, think the policy should be changed. In the OP's case, she has now been convinced to bring twice as much alcohol onboard as she intended. I really doubt that is DCL intention. After all, bottles or cans are allowed in the case of beer. Why would DCL object to cans only for wine? Surely cans are easier for the ship to handle...can be crushed to take up less space and are lighter.

If I were the OP and it mattered enough, I would write a snail mail letter to DCL. If DCL replies in the affirmative, bring the letter with you in case the security officer questions the tiny cans. Or at the very least, tell the officer you have small cans instead of the much larger bottle and be prepared to lose them if the officer doesn't think the issue through.

Happy sailing.:boat:

I, too, think the policy should be changed. In the OP's case, she has now been convinced to bring twice as much alcohol onboard as she intended. I really doubt that is DCL intention. After all, bottles or cans are allowed in the case of beer. Why would DCL object to cans only for wine? Surely cans are easier for the ship to handle...can be crushed to take up less space and are lighter.

If I were the OP and it mattered enough, I would write a snail mail letter to DCL. If DCL replies in the affirmative, bring the letter with you in case the security officer questions the tiny cans. Or at the very least, tell the officer you have small cans instead of the much larger bottle and be prepared to lose them if the officer doesn't think the issue through.

Happy sailing.:boat:
I bring small bottles of wine on all the time. I never say a word to anyone. If it's ever an issue I'll discuss it with a Disney supervisor. I'm not going to get an argument over ml's with a rent a cop. I walked right through the medal detector with my cell phone in my pocket no one caught it. They're really not that on top of things. I've never seen them search bags.
I always bring bottles of beer on. I'm not sure why it says cans in the policy.

Last edited:
Just clarifying something - DCL policy is:
may bring a maximum of 2 bottles of unopened wine or champagne (no larger than 750 ml) or 6 beers (no larger than 12 ounces) on board at the beginning of the voyage and at each port of call. These beverages must be packed in carry-on (not checked) bags or luggage.

and

• Any wine or champagne in excess of 2 bottles or beer in excess of 6 beers will be stored until the end of the cruise.
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/...onboard/?int_cmp=INS-intDCLtoFAQAlcoholPolicy

NOTE: it says 2 BOTTLES of wine or 6 BEERS (no specification as to cans or bottles).

Right, implying that bottles or cans of beer are acceptable. Makes no sense that the same is not true for wine. I suspect that the writer of the policy wasn't familiar with the little cans of sparkling wine. Things evolve. When I was a child, soda pop wasn't available in cans. Same was true of wine until relatively recently and is still a tiny part of the market it seems.

Right, implying that bottles or cans of beer are acceptable. Makes no sense that the same is not true for wine. I suspect that the writer of the policy wasn't familiar with the little cans of sparkling wine. Things evolve. When I was a child, soda pop wasn't available in cans. Same was true of wine until relatively recently and is still a tiny part of the market it seems.
A lot of policies are not cut and dry. We have a policy at work that states no eating at desk. Nobody cares if you eat something like a granola bar or a bag of nuts. If your eating a burger and fries or a five course meal that’s a problem. Policies are guidelines, but also leave room for some common sense. I seriously doubt Disney cares what package your wine is in as long as you don’t go over the limit. I only bring the boxes of wine or the small plastic bottles if I can’t get to a store before the cruise. I prefer wine out of a bottle, but I don’t like to pack those.

I agree with this and stated so earlier in the thread.

On a side note, I had no idesa wine was sold in plastic bottles! Have not enjoyed any wine I've had from a box (admittedly not much experience with that) so haven't paid any attention to whether boxed wine containers are small enough to qualify.

I seriously doubt Disney cares what package your wine is in as long as you don’t go over the limit. I only bring the boxes of wine or the small plastic bottles if I can’t get to a store before the cruise. I prefer wine out of a bottle, but I don’t like to pack those.

I agree with this and stated so earlier in the thread.

On a side note, I had no idesa wine was sold in plastic bottles! Have not enjoyed any wine I've had from a box (admittedly not much experience with that) so haven't paid any attention to whether boxed wine containers are small enough to qualify.
The 6oz minis are plastic. Usually barefoot or Sutter Homes. I’m not that fussy, but I haven’t found a good boxed wine. I actually really like the Barefoot Pinot Noir minis. I can throw them in a suitcase and they don’t break. There also great for WDW if you don’t have the ability to get to a store.

Yes. The policy is 2 750ml BOTTLES of wine or 6 bottles or cans of beer.

Not boxes of wine (which did exist when the policy was changed) or cans of wine (which I've only seen in the past year or so, so did not exist). If they had wanted to include boxes they could have. Or if they wanted to include cans, they could have changed the policy already.

But the policy is clear. 750ml bottles of wine if you're going with the wine option.

Canned wine existed when Disney changed the policy. I've been drinking it for at least 4 or 5 years. It's so nice for people like me who only drink occasionally and hate wasting wine. Plus, it is easier to recycle a can than a glass bottle.
I would totally take a 750ml bottle of beer and 6 cans of wine with me....

Canned wine existed when Disney changed the policy. I've been drinking it for at least 4 or 5 years. It's so nice for people like me who only drink occasionally and hate wasting wine. Plus, it is easier to recycle a can than a glass bottle.
I would totally take a 750ml bottle of beer and 6 cans of wine with me....

Ok, I had no clue. Things out of cans invariably taste metallic, and I hate that. Cannot imagine ruining with with metal. But to each their own.

However, if canned wine existed and Disney chose to exclude it, they did so for a reason. They chose to say 750ml bottles.

I always bring a six pack of Smirnoff ice. Which is bottled beer and we bring another six pack of whatever and then our shampoos.

My wife and I were doing a B2B this fall, with one of our daughters and family joining us on the second cruise. I got a message from her while on the first cruise if they were allowed to bring spiked seltzer on as their beer allowance. I asked at Guest Services and the person I asked wasn't sure so she went back in the office to check. Came back and said it was OK. At the port in NYC, the people that collect alcohol after security looked at it but let them keep it.

On this cruise, we were waiting on the ship by the gangway for our daughter and husband to reboard and were standing by the alcohol collection crew member. Just chatting with him, and he volunteered that they were running out of storage space, so weren't enforcing the limits for beer and wine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter