Alaskan cruise through DVC

I just saw this post and had to comment because I just put the salmon we caught on our cruise in the freezer not 10 minutes ago.

We were on an alaskan cruise this July 29- Aug 6th. Not with Holland but with Radisson Seven Seas and our ship was the Mariner. Like everyone else has stated, it is beyond beautiful!!! We had very nice weather, around 60 or so each day. We had 1/2 day of rain in Juneau and the rest of the time it was sunny.

Have a great time!!!

Minnie, check your private messages :) I'm curious to hear firsthand about RSS!

A question for those veteran DVC/Holland America Alaska Cruisers... Does anyone know if it is possible to use DVC points for the Sea portion of a Holland America Alaska Land/Sea Tour? We would really like to the land portion as well as the cruise and it would be great if we could use DVC points and then pay the difference in cash. Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
CWD

Originally posted by MinnieFan4ever
I just saw this post and had to comment because I just put the salmon we caught on our cruise in the freezer not 10 minutes ago.

We were on an alaskan cruise this July 29- Aug 6th. Not with Holland but with Radisson Seven Seas and our ship was the Mariner. Like everyone else has stated, it is beyond beautiful!!! We had very nice weather, around 60 or so each day. We had 1/2 day of rain in Juneau and the rest of the time it was sunny.

Have a great time!!!

I'm also curious about RSS, but even more curious about where that salmon has been for the last two months!:confused:

CWD, I don't think you can. What you're basically doing is trading a theoretical reservation for the cruise, so it's not like their deal with DCL where it's more direct. However, if HAL does their own land package, separate from any cruise, you could book the cruise on points as a cruise-only, then pay cash for a land-only tour. I'm not sure if HAL offers any land-only tours, but there are lots of companies out there who do. I'm sure any one of them could arrange it so you got to your designated port (or started from your disembarkation port) at the right time.

Erik -- check the date on her post. This is an old thread that just won't die! LOL

Hey Erik... Yes, this is an old thread. We recieved our Salmon about 10 days or so after we returned home. They will FedEx it overnight. Let me just say, it was wonderful!!! We only have around 5 left.

Have a good one:D

Hi WDWguru

Boy this is an old thread. I started this in Febuary WOW ::yes::.

I booked our Alaska cruise for 8/28/04 on the Zaandam inside passage from Vancouver. The points for this is 205 pp due to its standard season (they now have several seasons and several different points for each season:confused: ). We just recieved the liability waiver yesterday and we sent it back today all signed. Do we get any type of confirmation about our HAL cruise from MS? Where do you suggest staying the night prior in Vancouver? Should we go with what hotel HAL suggests with their transfers or book another room in Vancouver????

pirate: ::MickeyMo ::MinnieMo

We have always cruised with a verandah (in the Caribbean on DCL, of course) so would we be satisfied with just a large porthole??

Rae

Yes, this is an old thread, but I'm glad to see that someone is using the search feature to resurrect it. I had noticed that there was a new thread on the same subject, but not being the world's greatest typist, I was resisting answering the same questions again.

Minybear - We stayed at the Pan Pacific last year. This is a wonderful hotel (and $$$$$) right above the cruise terminal HAL uses in Vancouver. It was fantastic to wake up each am to see the cruise ships sailing under the Lions Gate Bridge. It is just an elevator ride down to the terminal. I was able to use our Entertainment card to get a better rate than I found elsewhere.

Just across the (small) street is the Fairmont Hotel - EASY walk even with luggage. It is another very fine hotel and I imagine there are lovely views from many of the rooms. Under the Fairmont is a shopping area with a food court. This is also connected to the Pan Pacific/cruise pier by a tunnel. We ate some meals there as they were much less $$ than the hotel restaurants. There are also many restaurants within walking distance of both hotels.

We used a limo service from/to the Vancouver airport. There is a information booth as you leave the secure Customs and Immigration area. I just booked our round trip there. It was about $80 CDN r/t for the limo. This is about $5 more than a taxi should be - IF there aren't any traffic problems (NOT uncommon in Vancouver). The meter will be ticking away on the taxi, while the limo fee stays the same. You'll need to let them know that you want to be picked up at the Cruise Terminal, rather than at the hotel where you were dropped off.

DH was quite surprised to see an actual white stretch limo. He was expecting a shuttle van 'limo' when I said we were taking a limo to/from the pier.

By using the limo service, we were able to go to the limo area and show the dispatcher our voucher. He then called our limo up to the front. We could see the long, long, LONG line for taxis across the way. By using the offical airport limo we saved quite a bit of money. As we were waiting for our limo to pull up, another couple came by to see about a limo rather than waiting for a taxi. They were quoted $75 CDN one-way to the airport (using another limo service). We didn't have any traffic problems with our cruise, but later in the summer I was in Vancouver again (touring other cruise ships) and it took us about 2 hours just to get to the border from the pier (normally it is 2 1/2 hours all the way to Seattle).

rae519 - This is a tough call about a verandah. We have sailed HAL to Alaska the past 2 summers, both times we had our own verandahs (cat. B and a S suite). We've also sailed HAL to Alaska twice before without a verandah. The only reason we had the verandahs is because we were travelling with family (step-mom is claustrophobic) and we booked adjoining cabins. We didn't use our verandahs very much, it is a little nippy while sailing in Alaska. While in Glacier Bay we prefer the views from the Crow's Nest lounge, right above the Bridge. Look at a HAL brochure. The cabin windows (no portholes unless you are up in the bow - not a place I'd recommend anyway) are quite large and there is PLENTY of open deck space for viewing. I do prefer the layout of the outside cabins to the A or B mini-suites, but if you have the cabin made up with one bed - it is under the window in the outside cabins. With 2 beds, they are on either side of the window.

Would we get a verandah again to Alaska? I don't know. Would we be interested in a verandah in the Caribbean? Most likely.

Hope this helps.

Hi Mary Ellen

Boy this thread has gone on so long. First I was thinking about doing an Alaska cruise on DVC points and approx over 6 months later I made the resv and now I am working on where to stay the night prior. Wow this thread is amazing.

Right now I have 2 separate resv's for the night prior to see where our money is. One is at the Pan Pacific (ocean view) and the other is a the Renassance Marriott with a package deal that includes dinner (only a $100 difference in the 2 rooms). Also I was told if we book air and the hotel (Pan Pacific) through HAL then our transporation from the airport to the hotel and hotel to the terminal would be free. I am wondering if it would be better if we did this or do the air and hotel ourselves and somehow get ourselves to the terminal. I know the Pan Pacific is right at the terminal so HAL will take us from the hotel to the terminal. If we stay at the Renassance Marriott then we have to get our own transporation to and from. Need opinions on this.

I'd do the Pan Pacific. We spent about $30-$40 in cab fare to and from the airport, which you'd be saving. If the transportation is round-trip to and from the airport, definitely do it. The Pan Pacific is right across the street from the cruise terminal, so you can easily walk to it.

On the verandah question, having sailed with and without we'd definitely prefer having one. We could run in and outside at will to warm up or see scenery and had a great view without fighting a crowd for rail space. We did also go out on deck at times, but loved that we could just see what was going on from our own room when we wanted. Yes it's cold, but not unbearably so. We had two nice wool blankets provided on our verandah to bundle up with, too.

We stayed at the Farimont in July prior to our cruise. It was a great location, wonderful hotel, and the views were terrific. We had a waterview suite, with a 3 night package that included vouchers for the trolley and for the aquarium. It would have been a great location if our ship sailed from Canada Place. Unfortunately, our ship sailed from Balltyne which meant we had to take a taxi (@16 CDN) to get to the ship.

I highly recommend the balcony. We've cruised DCL 3X with a veranda, then did Alaska with a veranda, then a DCL without. I would go back to the Caribbean without a veranda, but I would not do Alaska without. I spent so much time on our Alaskan cruise watching the scenery. When we did the glacier, I spent 2 1/2 hours straight outside on the balcony.

I would also recommend the limo from/to the airport. We used a taxi both ways, and for just a few dollars more, we could have been in a stretch limo, instead of a smelly, non-a/c cab.

We sailed in Alaska this June and loved it. We brought our three children and although we sailed on RCCL and not HAL I can honestly say that kids have a great time on this vacation. The weather is good in June, not really cold and the mosquito season has yet to begin.

We went on priceline and got the Westin hotel for $40 a night. It was lovely and provided transportation. Vancouver was really fun. The kids caught a huge alaskan king salmon one day, we rented a float plane over the misty fjords in Ketchikan and took the white pass railroad (this was over three hours and I don't recommend it for little ones!).

I highly recommend a veranda in Alaska. It is beautiful and so nice to be able to sit on your deck and count ice caps, whales, etcc. We saw bears, whales, otters, bald eagles and the most beautiful land in the world.

If you travel in May or September you may be able to get great discount rates and save your points. This shoulder season is typically much cheaper than late June and July. Have fun!

Wow - 2005 is a long way off especially when I read such great reports like yours. Thank you so much!!!

Rae

Reviving a terribly old thread here-
Does the HAL Alaskan cruise through DVC sail from Seattle? Or which city?
Also- I see they have points for 3, 4, and 5 passenger- I am confused about this as I am unsure how the rooms can accomodate 5 people.

TenThousandVolts said:
Does the HAL Alaskan cruise through DVC sail from Seattle? Or which city?
Also- I see they have points for 3, 4, and 5 passenger- I am confused about this as I am unsure how the rooms can accomodate 5 people.
You have your choice of HAL Alaskan cruises. Round trips from Seattle or Vancouver, or the one-way Gulf of Alaska cruises. Our STRONG preference are the r/t from Vancouver in a non Vista-class ship. [The Vistas are the compass directions; Westerdam, Noordam, Zuiderdam and Oosterdam.]
In our 2007-2008 DVC Vacation Planner (p. 58) the points are only for 1-4 passengers. None of HAL's cabins accomodate 5 (even if 1 is under 2 ;) ). NOt sure where you saw points for a 5th passenger.

Good luck getting a cruise booked using DVC Points. I tried for last summer to book for summer 2007 was not able to get anything. I heard it was DVC and HAL had never finalized a contract. Hopefully you will have better luck.

The points chart I was looking at is in the DVC Dream book- the purple book they are sending out now.

HAL is the one line I have missed in my travels. Princess is my measuring stick as I have been to Alaska with them twice(once even on the original Love Boat). RCCL, NCL, Carnival,Costa and Cunard, been on most the major lines

I have the new 2007-2008 planner and HAL Alaska cruises are listed.

We'll probably go sometime with the DS's, whether we use our points or not.

Luvdisney said:
Good luck getting a cruise booked using DVC Points. I tried for last summer to book for summer 2007 was not able to get anything. I heard it was DVC and HAL had never finalized a contract. Hopefully you will have better luck.
I was originally going to book an Alaskan Cruise with points for next summer too but had the same problem with their "contract not being finaliazed" I did read on another board that the contract with HAL was finalazed in NOVEMBER and they were finally taking ressies for 2007 but by then DH & I decided that we would take another Disney Cruise in 2007 instead. I am hoping that the rumors are true that Disney Cruise Line will be Sailing in Alaska at some point in the future....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter