Aladdin not ready for Wish maiden voyage

You're correct, not sure with COVID, but they used to do 8-12 weeks? rehearsal in Toronto before going on the ship. So maybe it's something technical specific to Aladdin that's delayed...or maybe they don't have a good genie yet?

The other issues for the 2 shows they're doing are likely specific to being completely new shows, not just new cast.
Well, and there are going to be differences practicing in Toronto vs. doing it on the actual ship in the actual ship's theater. Unless Disney created a perfect replica of the theater in Toronto? But I doubt that very much.

Once onboard we were just walking down the hall and saw a long line. I asked what it was and was told reservations for Hyperspace Lounge. Got on the line and waited.

MJ
Thanks. I have a lot to follow up on this but I hate to continue to hijack this thread. I may start a new one.

I went to the 6:00 pm show of Little Mermaid and my friend went to both the 2 pm show and the 6 pm show. For the 2:00 pm show she sat in the back and when she came out of it she told me it was terrible and some parts didn't make sense.

For the 6 pm show we sat in the front row and she said it was much better sitting closer. They use a lot of imagery on fabrics, walls and ceiling that she could not really see when sitting in the back.
This happened to me with Seas the Adventure - I went at 2 and sat along the side, but at 6 I sat towards the middle and I could see all sorts of things that I missed the first time. Lots happening towards the back of the stage.

I loved both shows but I think I liked Seas the Adventure better than Little Mermaid.

I don't think anyone is threatening to sue Disney for breach of contract or something silly like that. It's perfectly normal to be disappointed when something like this happens and it's reasonable to expect a company to make up for it. Disney chose not to offer any compensation, which is their right, but guests also have the right to be disappointed in that decision and to express their disappointment here.

Disney is probably right to focus on two great shows instead of three mediocre ones. But they probably should have planned better so that they wouldn't have to make that choice at all.
I never said anything about anyone threatening to sue Disney. I also never said anyone shouldn't be disappointed by these things. I was only addressing what I thought was a claim that DCL was somehow infringing on someone's "basic consumer rights", which I interpreted as them saying they had a (legal) right to be reimbursed. Maybe I misinterpreted the post, it happens.

We were at the 6 PM show of Little Mermaid and an officer was talking to the woman next to us before it started. He told her that they made the decision to focus on having 2 incredible shows and not 3 average ones. Of course, there is no telling how much of that is truth but it is what he said. I personally think the problem now is finding the rehearsal time for Aladdin since they are still doing the other two shows. But who knows...
If this is true, when did they ‘decide’ that? It’s interesting that they ‘decided’ to not work on the third show, but ‘decided’ to still advertise it.

If this is true, when did they ‘decide’ that? It’s interesting that they ‘decided’ to not work on the third show, but ‘decided’ to still advertise it.

This was most likely the officer blowing smoke to make it seem like it was a deliberate decision. That line sounds a whole lot better than admitting mistakes were made in the planning.

I thought rehearsals for the stss add GE shows actually begins on land - maybe in Toronto. Or did I make that up? Or maybe Canada hasn’t allowed it to resume? I wouldn’t be surprised if rehearsals have been impacted by Covid quarantines. Everyone seems to forget that the CMs onboard are working and stuck onboard in close quarters with Covid positive guests with every new cruise.

I get the disappointment over the cancelled show. I do think the whole Wish roll-out was rushed because it was already significantly delayed due to the pandemic and DCL wanted it launched this summer. What I don’t get is the concept that not having that show is such a disappointment that it ruins a cruise before departure. How many people who think monetary compensation should be offered would be willing to pay that same amount (x3) to watch the shows onboard? It’s an all-inclusive fare and you get what they offer at the time you are onboard - whether that is a stage show or other entertainment.
I have seen multiple social media posts from performers who spent weeks in Toronto rehearsing before joining the Wish ~2 before she left for the transatlantic. I’m still questioning if Aladdin is affected by supply chain issues, and therefore some of the scenic details/set pieces are quite delayed.

Well, and there are going to be differences practicing in Toronto vs. doing it on the actual ship in the actual ship's theater. Unless Disney created a perfect replica of the theater in Toronto? But I doubt that very much.
Same deal with Broadway shows. Pre-opening shows practice in rehearsal spaces and don’t move into the actual theatre until close to the beginning of previews.

and if it was cancelled on the night they went they would get a full refund.
Of course you would get a refund. But that is not the same thing as cruise entertainment. I am sure that it says in the fine print that any and all entertainment can be cancelled or changed at any time without any compensation.

We were on the Fantasy in May, we watched what we considered to be an updated version of the DCL Aladdin show, (stronger female characters) We have seen the ‘original’ version on the Fantasty before
We loved the show, but does anyone know if it’s this same, updated version on The Wish?

We were on the Fantasy in May, we watched what we considered to be an updated version of the DCL Aladdin show, (stronger female characters) We have seen the ‘original’ version on the Fantasty before
We loved the show, but does anyone know if it’s this same, updated version on The Wish?
We saw it on the fantasy in May and on the wish last week - it is the same show but with some technology upgrades it seems.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter