AKV - Kidani Village Units Declared*UPDATED 1/26 - Post#130*

Since my last posting, I have revised my chart of AKV points and UYs to include an estimate of the total number of points allotted to AKV. Based on data posted by TSMIII, it appears that AKV has about 7,400,180 points allotted to it. By comparison, BLT has about 5,825,540 points allotted to it, and VWL has about 1,962,300 points allotted to it. On the chart, I show that there are 170 undeclared Units at AKV: 162 two-bedroom villas and 8 Grand Villas. However, since DVD sometimes groups two two-bedroom villas into one Unit, the actual number of Units left to declare should be less than 170.

Through 12/31/2009, DVD has declared about 60% of AKV for the DVC Membership, and has sold about 53% of the total AKV points. This is based on deeds recorded at the Orange County Comptroller's website. December is the predominant UY at AKV. By comparison, February is the most common UY for BLT and August is the most common UY for VWL.

Since DVD raised the price of BLT in October, AKV sales have matched BLT sales in number of points sold. However, BLT has almost the same number of master contracts sold at AKV (about 12,000) even though AKV sales started more than a year and a half before BLT, and DVD has sold AKV master contracts for as little as 100 points compared to BLT's 160-point minimum.

AKV has about 545,000 AKV points declared that are still unsold. At the current rate of sales (about 16,000+/week), I expect DVD will have to make a new Declaration for AKV within the next month or two.

0001Zg.jpg

With the release of the 2011 Point Charts, some members have wondered whether AKV's total points have remained unchanged (see discussion in http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2346668). I computed the total point requirements for VWL and BWV and found the total points between 2010 and 2011 to be insignificant.

I would like to do the same comparison for AKV, but I don't have all the information needed to compute AKV's total points requirements. I know AKV's total points, I know the number of the different types of accommodations, I know how many points are allotted to each "Unit" configuration, and I know (from the 2010 and 2011 point charts) how much it costs to book each accommodation for all 365 Use Days in each calendar year. But what I don't know is the exact breakout of accommodations by view category.

Beginning in 2011, AKV has a Standard View Grand Villa category. TSMIII, whose opinion I trust, opines that there may be two GVs in this category. But we don't know for sure. Furthermore, there are 162 two-bedroom accommodations still to be declared and I do not know how many will have Standard Views versus Savanna Views. Unless I know exactly how many accommodations are in each view category, then any calculations of point totals will be suspect.

For those of you who are interested, here is some data about AKV's points, Units, and accommodations. When reading the chart, please keep some the following in mind:

A "Unit" is not the same as an accommodation. A "Unit" may contain one accommodation, such as one two-bedroom or one GV, or it may contain multiple accommodations. AKV's Unit 17 contains 6 dedicated studios.

The number of points allotted a Unit is based on square footage. As seen in the chart, Jambo has eight different Unit sizes while Kidani has three.

The Amendments to the Declaration of Condominium show the floorplans for each declared Unit. This is how I determined the accommodation composition of the Units.

The number of points allotted to a Unit is verified by reviewing deeds recorded on the Orange County Comptroller's website.

The number of points allotted a Unit is unrelated to the view category of the associated accommodation(s). Each GV Unit has 36,130 points allotted to it, whether it is a savanna view or a standard view.

For booking purposes, all two-bedroom accommodations, whether they be lockoffs of dedicated, are counted as two-bedroom accommodations. AKV has some dedicated studios but does not have any dedicated one-bedroom accommodations.

As of August 31, 2009, DVD has 162 two-bedroom accommodations and 8 GV accommodations still to be declared. For ease of tracking, I have labeled each as a separate Unit; thus, I show 170 Units undeclared. In reality, the number of Units declared in the future will be less. This is because DVD tends to declare some Units with two two-bedroom accommodation.

0001Jy.jpg

If anyone has verifiable counts of accommodations by view category, then I'd be glad to compute AKV's point totals for 2010 and 2011.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

As of August 31, 2009, DVD has 162 two-bedroom accommodations and 8 GV accommodations still to be declared. For ease of tracking, I have labeled each as a separate Unit; thus, I show 170 Units undeclared. In reality, the number of Units declared in the future will be less. This is because DVD tends to declare some Units with two two-bedroom accommodation...

...If anyone has verifiable counts of accommodations by view category, then I'd be glad to compute AKV's point totals for 2010 and 2011.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

wdrl ~ once again, a nice analysis. :thumbsup2

With the confirmation that the two standard view GVs are in fact the ones furthest north, I believe it will be some time before we can definitively state exactly how many villas are standard view and how many are savanna view. I think until we get first hand reports of which villas in that area are one view or the other it will be difficult to determine how far reaching the standard view is to the east and west of those GVs. Therefore, a full reconciliation of the new points charts with the prior years' may have to wait a while.

DVD has made a new declaration of villas for AKV. The 19th Amendment to the AKV Declaration of Condominium, dated 1/19/2010, and recorded at the OCC website on 1/25/2010, brings 13 additional Units containing 20 two-bedroom villas into the DVC membership inventory. This is the first Declaration for AKV since 8/31/2009.

The 20 two-bedroom villas that are part of the 19th Amendment should bring 325,800 points into the DVC membership inventory. With this Declaration, 4,797,970 points have been declared into the membership. This represents 64.84% of the estimated 7,400,190 points that AKV should have when it is fully declared for membership.

Confirmed through MS info provided above: Kidani will have 2 standard GVs (very end of the North wing) and they are not new units, meaning Kidani will have, effective 2011, 14 savanna view GVs and 2 standard.

I have been able to find the condo drawings and the declaration. My question is how do you guys figure out which floor the units are on?

DVD has made a new declaration of villas for AKV. The 19th Amendment to the AKV Declaration of Condominium, dated 1/19/2010, and recorded at the OCC website on 1/25/2010, brings 13 additional Units containing 20 two-bedroom villas into the DVC membership inventory. This is the first Declaration for AKV since 8/31/2009.

The 20 two-bedroom villas that are part of the 19th Amendment should bring 325,800 points into the DVC membership inventory. With this Declaration, 4,797,970 points have been declared into the membership. This represents 64.84% of the estimated 7,400,190 points that AKV should have when it is fully declared for membership.

To add to wdrl's post above, the declared units are comprised of Phase 106 - part of the 5th floor in the segment at the far north end and Phases 116, 117 and 118 - the 5th floor in three segments south of the lobby. (13 units - 9 Ded 2BR villas & 11 2BR LO villas).

Here are the totals for Kidani so far, based on the units declared through 1/19/10 with one qualification - units on the outside edge of the northernmost segments may or may not be standard view:

(Unless further evidence proves otherwise, I am proceeding on the basis that any units on the outside edge of phases 91, 92, 106, 107 & 108 - the last 4 segments north of the lobby - are standard view - Kidani map from wdwinfo.com)

Dedicated 2BR -
Declared 69 (46 SV / 23 STD including 1 HA SV / 1 HA STD)
Planned 140
Remaining 71

2BR Lockoff -
Declared 97 (47 SV / 50 STD including 2 HA SV / 3 HA STD)
Planned 168
Remaining 71

Grand Villa -
Declared 8 (8 SV including 1 HA)
Planned 16
Remaining 8

Total -
Declared 174 (101 SV / 73 STD)
Planned 324
Remaining 150

The split for the different views is now 58% SV / 42% STD

Note that all 8 Handicap Accessible villas declared so far are located in the second building north of the lobby (Phase 64/80/96/112):
2nd Floor - 1 SV 2BR LO & 1 STD 2BR LO
3rd Floor - 1 STD 2BR LO
4th Floor - 1 SV 2BR LO & 1 STD Dedicated 2BR
4th/5th Floor - 1 SV Grand Villa
5th floor - 1 STD 2BR LO and 1 SV Dedicated 2BR

. . . . . . . . .
Dedicated 2BR -
Declared 69 (46 SV / 23 STD including 1 HA SV / 1 HA STD)
Planned 140
Remaining 71

2BR Lockoff -
Declared 97 (47 SV / 50 STD including 2 HA SV / 3 HA STD)
Planned 168
Remaining 71

Grand Villa -
Declared 8 (8 SV including 1 HA)
Planned 16
Remaining 8

Total -
Declared 174 (101 SV / 73 STD)
Planned 324
Remaining 150

The split for the different views is now 58% SV / 42% STD

Note that all 8 Handicap Accessible villas declared so far are located in the second building north of the lobby (Phase 64/80/96/112):
2nd Floor - 1 SV 2BR LO & 1 STD 2BR LO
3rd Floor - 1 STD 2BR LO
4th Floor - 1 SV 2BR LO & 1 STD Dedicated 2BR
4th/5th Floor - 1 SV Grand Villa
5th floor - 1 STD 2BR LO and 1 SV Dedicated 2BR

I'm confused. I thought I had read somewhere that 80% of the rooms AKV were savanna view. But so far Kidani is coming out with a much closer split. Per the member website, Jambo House is a near 50-50 split on views. I realize you are assuming some of the northern units are standard view villas. Where else would the standard view GV's be?

I found the following on the member website. I realize it's partially inaccurate since it says all GV's are savanna view but it does states that 80% of the villas are SV. Where do you think the DVD is getting the 80% figure?

FAQ's - What views are available from the rooms?
Approximately 80% of all rooms have a Savanna View.
All Grand Villas have a Savanna View.
Approximately half of the Value Accommodations and Kilimanjaro Club Concierge rooms have a Savanna View. The rest have a Standard View, which includes a view of the pool, garden, or parking lot. While Savanna View or Standard View room categories are confirmed at time of reservation, please note that room view preference requests for Value and Concierge accommodations are noted but not guaranteed.
Most Studios, One Bedrooms, and Two Bedrooms have a Savanna View. The rest have a Standard View, which includes a view of the pool, garden or parking lot. While Savanna View or Standard View room categories are confirmed at time of reservation, please note that room view preference requests for Value and Concierge accommodations are noted but not guaranteed.

BTW I already asked wdrl, my DH, this same question and he said I should ask you.

I'm confused. I thought I had read somewhere that 80% of the rooms AKV were savanna view. But so far Kidani is coming out with a much closer split. Per the member website, Jambo House is a near 50-50 split on views. I realize you are assuming some of the northern units are standard view villas. Where else would the standard view GV's be?

I found the following on the member website. I realize it's partially inaccurate since it says all GV's are savanna view but it does states that 80% of the villas are SV. Where do you think the DVD is getting the 80% figure?

BTW I already asked wdrl, my DH, this same question and he said I should ask you.

Well, my best guess is that since there are still 150 villas left to declare that there will be a sufficient number of those that will be Savanna view and thus tip the ratio to 80/20 in favor of the SV over the STD view.

But it remains to be seen. Especially if the Standard views in the northern segments were only recently classified as such. That would mean the 80% SV figure was originally based on a greater number of villas being SV than will be once all are declared.

I looked a little deeper into the numbers from your post and found some other things to consider:

From the member website part of your quote I noticed they are only referring to the Value and Concierge rooms regarding the 50-50 split.

Approximately half of the Value Accommodations and Kilimanjaro Club Concierge rooms have a Savanna View

If you look at the map of Jambo, the majority are SV - actually 68% if I am counting correctly. parkinfo2go.com map of Jambo

So, whatever the Kidani ratio finally is once all units are declared, we may need to combine those with the Jambo units to arrive at the 80% Savanna view figure that was quoted.

ETA: Sorry, I was using the wrong denominator above for Jambo percentages. I used the 134 villas in Jambo but counted the STD view as the dedicated studios plus locked off studios and corresponding 1BRs. The proper ratios are as follows:

No Lockoffs - 25 STD View, 109 Savanna View, 134 Total = 19% STD / 81% SV

All Locked Off - 43 STD View, 173 Savanna View, 216 Total = 20% STD / 80% SV

So Jambo House already has 80% Savanna View, we will see if Kidani Village follows suit!

So, for the lazy people (me), is there a map showing with a highlight or something which Kidani room sections we KNOW to be standard view so far?

I looked a little deeper into the numbers from your post and found some other things to consider:

From the member website part of your quote I noticed they are only referring to the Value and Concierge rooms regarding the 50-50 split.

Approximately half of the Value Accommodations and Kilimanjaro Club Concierge rooms have a Savanna View

If you look at the map of Jambo, the majority are SV - actually 68% if I am counting correctly. parkinfo2go.com map of Jambo

So, whatever the Kidani ratio finally is once all units are declared, we may need to combine those with the Jambo units to arrive at the 80% Savanna view figure that was quoted.

ETA: Sorry, I was using the wrong denominator above for Jambo percentages. I used the 134 villas in Jambo but counted the STD view as the dedicated studios plus locked off studios and corresponding 1BRs. The proper ratios are as follows:

No Lockoffs - 25 STD View, 109 Savanna View, 134 Total = 19% STD / 81% SV

All Locked Off - 43 STD View, 173 Savanna View, 216 Total = 20% STD / 80% SV

So Jambo House already has 80% Savanna View, we will see if Kidani Village follows suit!

Thanks for all of your work. I guess I should have realized that more of the quote I gave would be inaccurate. Glad to hear that Jambo House appears to be 80% or more SV. And it looks like that Kidani will follow suit.

I've enjoyed all of your posts thanks for all the hard work.

On allears.net, there is as interesting trip report with photos from someone who stayed at Kidani (see http://land.allears.net/blogs/lauragilbreath/2010/01/kidani_village_at_animal_kingd.html). The first photo in this TR shows the view of the Pembe Savanna from a 1-bedroom villa on the north side of Kidani. The savanna is quite narrow in this view and the reporter states that there were few animals to see most of the day.

If this view is representative of the views along Kidani's outer-facing north side, then I can understand why DVD might classify the two GVs at this end as a Standard View.

On allears.net, there is as interesting trip report with photos from someone who stayed at Kidani (see http://land.allears.net/blogs/lauragilbreath/2010/01/kidani_village_at_animal_kingd.html). The first photo in this TR shows the view of the Pembe Savanna from a 1-bedroom villa on the north side of Kidani. The savanna is quite narrow in this view and the reporter states that there were few animals to see most of the day.

If this view is representative of the views along Kidani's outer-facing north side, then I can understand why DVD might classify the two GVs at this end as a Standard View.
I scouted this out today and I believe the photos on allears show the same view you would have from the Std View GV. I took photos from the viewing window that is in between the two Pembe-facing GVs and the savanna is very narrow in that area, particularly in front of the GV nearest the lobby.

I got the impression from one of the CMs that only one of these two GVs is Std View. The Pembe Savanna begins to widen a bit in front of the other GV, plus due to the angle of the building you wouldn't be looking straight at the fence line from the balcony. However, if I booked a Sav View GV and got the one facing Pembe, I would be very disappointed. I hope his information was not correct and that both of them are considered Std View rather than just one.

There are fewer animals on Pembe but oddly enough, one of the okapi (supposedly shy animals) was hanging out in exactly this part of Pembe for over an hour today. Considering he was just 50-100 feet from the building, I was really surprised to see him there.

Confirmed through MS info provided above: Kidani will have 2 standard GVs (very end of the North wing) and they are not new units, meaning Kidani will have, effective 2011, 14 savanna view GVs and 2 standard.

I got the impression from one of the CMs that only one of these two GVs is Std View. The Pembe Savanna begins to widen a bit in front of the other GV, plus due to the angle of the building you wouldn't be looking straight at the fence line from the balcony. However, if I booked a Sav View GV and got the one facing Pembe, I would be very disappointed. I hope his information was not correct and that both of them are considered Std View rather than just one.

I hope drusba is right about there being two, not one, Standard View GVs. Perhaps DVCers who are booking this accommodation will report back on the disboards and let us know. By the way, I think the Standard View GVs will be extremely hard to book even for AKV owners.

I just want to correct the comments from MS. The Std View GVs are not the ones at the very end of the north wing. They are the ones at the end of the 7x50s building segment and the start of the 7x60s segment (the 6th and 7th segments from the lobby) on opposite sides of the viewing window in between those two segments. You can see the roof overhangs on the satellite photo. They face the Pembe Savanna. The three GVs at the very end of the north wing are on the Sunset Savanna and have a nice savanna view.

ETA: I didn't get the actual room numbers but would guess they are 7858 and 7860.

AKV sales continue at a fairly brisk pace. Since October 2009, when DVD raised BLT's base price-per-point cost to $120, AKV sales have outpaced those of BLT, but not by alot.

December is still the predominant UY at AKV but, in the last few months the emphasis has been on other UYs. Around the Holidays, DVD was pushing the February UY as a way for buyers to get "double" points (2009 and 2010 points in quick succession). Currently, I'm seeing more contracts with August and March as the UY.

If you look at the chart below, AKV has sold well over half of its estimated 7,400,190 points. Its been about two months since DVD made a Declaration of new Units for the membership. However, unless sales really pick up, I don't anticipate a new Declaration of Units at AKV for another 2-3 months. As of 3/11/2010, AKV has over 650,000 unsold points in its declared inventory, and it should take several weeks before DVD will need to replenish its supply of points.

0001DO.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter