Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information Superthread (READ FIRST POST FOR OVERVIEW!)

You must be quoting for multiple people? A shared shuttle will be the most economical other than figuring out the public bus system. A shared shuttle should be more like $60-$70 round trip for one including a decent tip. If you have multiple people then uber/lyft is probably the next most economical.

Lyft was much less than that for me last year. I forget, it has been $38-44 for me.

Ah saw for 4 people, so you need a bigger vehicle. I still prefer Uber/Lyft for a direct trip, and minimum wait to get going.

Sometimes you can get lucky with a car rental pricing. But other than the public transporation I don't think you'll do much better than a lyft/uber for 4.

We used Express Shuttle Services from LAX to our rental house across the street from Mickey and Friends. It was $420 round trip for our family of 10, so $42 a person. We likely saved because there were so many of us, but it's worth calling them to see what they can do for you!

Locals: How long will it take to get to Ontario from DLR if we need to be there by 2:30 or 3?
thanx

Cool travel time tool:

https://www.google.com/maps/

Enter Ontario Airport
Click "Directions"
Enter Starting point
Click the "leave now" drop down menu and select "arrive at"

Then you can play with different date/time scenarios and get real time historical travel times. Everything else is just a guess!

Just home from a week at DLR and the D23 Expo and wanted to thank @3TinksAndAnEeyore for maintaining this thread! It was invaluable. We used Lyft from & to John Wayne airport (about $23-24 each way) as well as to & from the Expo and were impressed with the setup for pickup on arrival at the airport. We used ART for travel to/from DLR - even bought our senior discount tickets via the RideART app. Thanks again!

I just figured out since it's on only 2 of us (for the first time in 16 years!!) it's actually about the same amount to fly from San Jose to SNA and back than to drive using Southwest. Yay!!Hubby has had a few trips, but I have't flown in 16 years either!!

Since we've never flown down before, I'm trying to figure out a few things.
How early do we need to be a the SNA airport? 2 hours? Our flight is 9:30, so can I cut it a little closer and leave the hotel at 7:30? How bad is traffic at that hour?
Google Maps says 22-55 minutes.
My estimator says that an Uber should be about $25. Does that seem right? Is there a better or more cost efficient way to go?

Any help or advice in this area is appreciated! Thanks!!

I frequently fly from Sacramento to SNA. I aim to get to the airport 1 1/2 hours before my flight, and I usually allow 30 minutes for the trip. I would normally say your timing is perfect, but I'm not really positive about the traffic aspect of it. I almost always use Uber or Lyft and it's great. The cost varies a little; check both when you're ready to leave and see because sometimes one is quite a bit less than the other but they switch off as which is cheaper! Generally, they're both pretty close, though.

On a side note, you might check out flying into LGB (Long Beach). I've been using that airport most of the time for the past 2 years because the flights are usually cheaper to/from SMF and it's such a quick and cute little airport. Travel distance to DLR is almost the same as SNA. I only have to be there an hour before my flight.

On a side note, you might check out flying into LGB (Long Beach). I've been using that airport most of the time for the past 2 years because the flights are usually cheaper to/from SMF and it's such a quick and cute little airport. Travel distance to DLR is almost the same as SNA. I only have to be there an hour before my flight.

Thanks for that suggestion! I haven't booked our flights yet. I actually think that may give us a slightly later flight on Wed which means a little more sleep. Yay!!

We get to SNA two hours early but we always end up with lots of free time when we get there (mid day). For some reason, SNA's security line is never crowded when we're flying out. In fact, it's just a walk through.
With the extra time, we have a leisurely lunch before our flight.

I always arrive 1 hour before flight time out of SNA and that is always about 30 minutes too much. do have Precheck, but even without it, the security line is rarely longer than 5 minutes. The terminals are small. Once through security, you will be at your gate within a couple minutes.

I always arrive 1 hour before flight time out of SNA and that is always about 30 minutes too much. do have Precheck, but even without it, the security line is rarely longer than 5 minutes. The terminals are small. Once through security, you will be at your gate within a couple minutes.

Same here. I arrive 1 hour before flight and always still have time for coffee and to break out the laptop. SNA is easy peasy.

I call for Uber 30 min before that

If you arrive 2 hours ahead of time you will likely be just sitting around for an hour and a half

I just figured out since it's on only 2 of us (for the first time in 16 years!!) it's actually about the same amount to fly from San Jose to SNA and back than to drive using Southwest. Yay!!Hubby has had a few trips, but I have't flown in 16 years either!!

Since we've never flown down before, I'm trying to figure out a few things.
How early do we need to be a the SNA airport? 2 hours? Our flight is 9:30, so can I cut it a little closer and leave the hotel at 7:30? How bad is traffic at that hour?
Google Maps says 22-55 minutes.
My estimator says that an Uber should be about $25. Does that seem right? Is there a better or more cost efficient way to go?

Any help or advice in this area is appreciated! Thanks!!
Hi neighbor! We do this flight a LOT! SJC is extremely easy to navigate. But as for timing there are a couple things you need to consider; are you checking bags and are you flying at commute times?

When not checking a bag you will have already checked in online and have your boarding pass, so in San Jose, you will just need to navigate parking and security. Long term parking is not close so you might look to see if taking a shuttle/uber/lyft is a cheaper faster option. Security is busy with families starting vacations on early Saturday mornings and is slammed between 6:30-8am with people taking the commuter flights to LA on the weekdays. Pre-check or CLEAR can vastly speed up the process.

For the return trip through SNA, you will mostly be dealing with people leaving disney and heading home; thusly the late evening flights will be the busiest of the day typically. You don't need to be there 2 hours early. You should plan on being at the airport AT LEAST 90 min before if checking a bag. The airport is small and easy to navigate like SJC, and there is not much to do there other than wait lol.

in San Jose, you will just need to navigate parking and security. Long term parking is not close so you might look to see if taking a shuttle/uber/lyft is a cheaper faster option.

I am weekly flyer out of SJC...Long Term perking is $18 and the shuttle bus system is one of the best to get to the terminal. MUCH less effort then that time it takes to walk form daily parking lots. I am usually not a fan of long term but at SJC it is easy peasy IMO.

...although I agree getting dropped off at terminal with bags via Uber is much easier if it is wash cost wise, just no need to be hesitant about long term.

I flew out of SNA on Monday. I stayed at the Hilton across from the airport the night before. Uber from Paradise Pier to the Hilton was $21. I got to the airport about 90 minutes before, it was more than enough time, 1 person ahead of me at security.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!