Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Every so often I open the Samsung Pay app on my phone to use my Airmiles number. Sometimes they won't scan it (Sobeys!) so I just use my card instead. Less chance of a typo. But I seem to still get the 5 AM each time. I'm not sure how it works... but just a note for others in case you have a Samsung phone and signed up. Easy way to get a bonus 5 AM.
Since I didn't win the $60 Million lotto max yesterday I need to keep saving those AM. I really want a vacation! Disney or cruise, or perhaps Universal? We've never been. I know kiddo would want to go on all the big coasters and such. I am a ride wimp. Maybe we can do a split stay? Universal for part and Disney for part, but which first? And what about Seaworld? It looks pretty cheap with the big rides he likes and a nice animal show for me to see, even the AM tickets there are only 950 AM each! I guess I'll be getting a ticket for next week's draw too, and hoping the next big AM bonus comes along soon.
I have yet to get any airmiles using Samsung Pay and I don't have a clue why. I tried the online chat with them to find out but all I got was a cut and paste copy of what I need to do, which I am already doing. Catch 22....
As for which to do first, Disney or Universal, we always do Disney first and here's our reason. I like not having to collect my luggage at the airport and having to lug it to the hotel. Your fighting with 150 other people waiting at the carousel for their luggage and its usually 3 people deep. I like just getting off the plane and heading over to Magical Express. When we went in June we only stayed one night on site and that was pretty much so I didn't have to do the luggage thing, I'll do anything to get out of that. Once our stay at Disney is over we Uber it to Universal, cost is between $15/$20. Universal does not have an airport check in like Disney does so you do need to take your luggage with you back to the airport but that is so much easier than the other way around. Anyways, that's our reason for the way we do Disney/Universal.
You will love Universal even if you don't love coasters. The hotels, IMO, are just as nice as Disney's. The equivalent of DTD at Universal offers great dinning at half the cost. The two parks themselves are interesting, love the train between the two Harry Potter areas. Have not been to their water park yet but it looks good. Once we opened our eyes to the fact that there is more than Disney we have never looked back. At first we only did half our stay at each place. Now we do 90/20 in favor of Universal and will probably do that for a while as Disney is getting to out of hand cost wise.
Just my thoughts and thought I would share how we do things. You'll enjoy what ever you do I'm sure.

We did SeaWorld in February. On Cyber Monday they had buy one get one free tickets, so we did that and then I just used air miles for another ticket. SeaWorld has three big coasters (Manta, Mako, Kraken), Flume ride, and now Infinity Falls rapids ride. We had a great day there!

I have yet to get any airmiles using Samsung Pay and I don't have a clue why. I tried the online chat with them to find out but all I got was a cut and paste copy of what I need to do, which I am already doing. Catch 22....
As for which to do first, Disney or Universal, we always do Disney first and here's our reason. I like not having to collect my luggage at the airport and having to lug it to the hotel. Your fighting with 150 other people waiting at the carousel for their luggage and its usually 3 people deep. I like just getting off the plane and heading over to Magical Express. When we went in June we only stayed one night on site and that was pretty much so I didn't have to do the luggage thing, I'll do anything to get out of that. Once our stay at Disney is over we Uber it to Universal, cost is between $15/$20. Universal does not have an airport check in like Disney does so you do need to take your luggage with you back to the airport but that is so much easier than the other way around. Anyways, that's our reason for the way we do Disney/Universal.
You will love Universal even if you don't love coasters. The hotels, IMO, are just as nice as Disney's. The equivalent of DTD at Universal offers great dinning at half the cost. The two parks themselves are interesting, love the train between the two Harry Potter areas. Have not been to their water park yet but it looks good. Once we opened our eyes to the fact that there is more than Disney we have never looked back. At first we only did half our stay at each place. Now we do 90/20 in favor of Universal and will probably do that for a while as Disney is getting to out of hand cost wise.
Just my thoughts and thought I would share how we do things. You'll enjoy what ever you do I'm sure.

Thanks for the thoughts, it does make sense! We really just want to go to Hollywood Studios to ride the new coaster, and eat at Beaches and Cream :) that's on my son's list lol. Perhaps two or three nights at Disney followed by Universal makes the most sense. I was looking at how to get between them and uber seems to be the best choice, cost wise and convenience. Now to reconsider my plans (I had Universal first but your thoughts on bags makes so much sense... I am planning to check a bag this trip instead of just doing carry on).

Thanks for the thoughts, it does make sense! We really just want to go to Hollywood Studios to ride the new coaster, and eat at Beaches and Cream :) that's on my son's list lol. Perhaps two or three nights at Disney followed by Universal makes the most sense. I was looking at how to get between them and uber seems to be the best choice, cost wise and convenience. Now to reconsider my plans (I had Universal first but your thoughts on bags makes so much sense... I am planning to check a bag this trip instead of just doing carry on).
First time we transferred between Disney and Universal I wasn't sure how to do it so I went to the front desk and asked about the cost of a taxi. They put me on the phone to the taxi company (I think it was Mears taxi) and the gentleman on the phone said it would be, and I quote, '$35/$40, could be more, we won't know till we get you there. I'll send a cab right away'. I said please don't, we are not ready yet to go. I then opened the Uber app and the cost was $14.75 with no 'we won't know till we get you there' added. I gave the driver a $5 tip and even with that it was half of the cost of the taxi. It was our first experience with Uber and we have never looked back.

Last edited:
What I love best about Universal is the Front of the Line Pass you get when staying onsite. It really spoils you for waiting in line, I can't imagine having it and then going to Disney and only having 3 Fast Passes!

Question,opinions needed
I was unable to get Sobeys Gift Cards at Sobeys--they only had Foodland Gift Cards.
The purchase of 5 $150.00 cards was made at Sobeys.(5 seperate transactions and each one posted the 150 airmiles).

If I head to Foodland tomorrow will I be able to get 5 Foodland cards and still get the airmiles?

Hugs Mel

This is another "how long do I have to wait" before contacting Air Miles question. On September 9th I shopped at Rexall's. One of my L+G offers showed up on the receipt and the other did not. Rexall's gave me a receipt showing they manually added the missing 10 air miles. Usually manually added miles from Rexall's/Foodland/Sobey's show up very quickly but not this one. When can I contact Air Miles? (BTW, all the other air miles have credited to my account)
Saw this question during a quick glance at the thread while on my phone and then neglected to actually answer it, sorry!!

This would fall under the company line of "120 days for bonus miles" BUT since the other miles from the same day have posted you could try an online chat and mention that. I had that happen twice and when i tried to chase them down the first went smoothly but the 2nd time i ran into a newbie who refused to budge from the stated terms. I added it to my pile of receipts that sit on my desk and flagged it in my spreadsheet to follow up later. The question then becomes, how much of your time are you willing to invest for 10 miles? Answer for me is, not much!

Question,opinions needed
I was unable to get Sobeys Gift Cards at Sobeys--they only had Foodland Gift Cards.
The purchase of 5 $150.00 cards was made at Sobeys.(5 seperate transactions and each one posted the 150 airmiles).

If I head to Foodland tomorrow will I be able to get 5 Foodland cards and still get the airmiles?

Hugs Mel
My thoughts on this: 2 different stores, 2 different flyers, 2 different offers means you *SHOULD* get the miles. If there was going to be a problem you would have already seen it happen at Sobey's with what looked like the "wrong"gift cards. If you have the funds available and were planning on buying the cards, go for it!

(take these musings with a grain of salt and the understanding i didn't sleep enough to have coherent thoughts :P )

Question,opinions needed

Hugs Mel

Really hard to judge. It would mean that you are purchasing 10 Foodland cards? I would probably purchase 1 and see if you are credited the miles and then go from there.

My thoughts on this: 2 different stores, 2 different flyers, 2 different offers means you *SHOULD* get the miles. If there was going to be a problem you would have already seen it happen at Sobey's with what looked like the "wrong"gift cards. If you have the funds available and were planning on buying the cards, go for it!

(take these musings with a grain of salt and the understanding i didn't sleep enough to have coherent thoughts :P )

Really hard to judge. It would mean that you are purchasing 10 Foodland cards? I would probably purchase 1 and see if you are credited the miles and then go from there.

I am going to give it a try,,I'll try just one card and see how it goes.
Thanks guys
Hugs Mel

Question,opinions needed

Hugs Mel

Hmm.. I would expect the offer to still work. No matter which card you have, they are all redeemable at Sobey's, Foodland, and FreschCo. I would think as long as 5 were purchased at Sobey's and the other 5 purchased at Foodland (as each store is offering this in their flyer) it will be fine. Let us know how it worked out.

Saw this question during a quick glance at the thread while on my phone and then neglected to actually answer it, sorry!!

This would fall under the company line of "120 days for bonus miles" BUT since the other miles from the same day have posted you could try an online chat and mention that. I had that happen twice and when i tried to chase them down the first went smoothly but the 2nd time i ran into a newbie who refused to budge from the stated terms. I added it to my pile of receipts that sit on my desk and flagged it in my spreadsheet to follow up later. The question then becomes, how much of your time are you willing to invest for 10 miles? Answer for me is, not much!

Thanks. I was not sure if there were different rules for manually added miles. I'll try contacting AM next week but I have a feeling they'll make me wait the 120 days. Oh well.

This would be my line of reasoning as well. Since the cards are good at both stores, I don’t think it matters which store is featured on the front of the card. I would be surprised if it didn’t work.

Mel should be all good as others have said. Wish i had a foodland close tondo as well.
But bought my 5 cards sat. Right away went and picked a 6pack and 250gc for lowes. Rang in no problem. Went to Lowes and picked uped the storm door that was on sale. With additional15% off due to open box. Plus bought office lotto tickets and used 3rd gc. Good day with the gc. And i could use more.
Too bad not flying AC anywhere soon those are 10% too.
Here is hoping for once we need to pick up MIL for thanksgiving. She has a foodland close.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions
I am back and it did work. I did the transactions separately.
I now have $1,500.00 in Food gift cards which should do me for a long time.
I also try to slip in a few gas cards and Lowes gift cards when I use these food cards.
So a good weekend with 1700 airmiles earned.(Got a new humidifier at Rexall).20% off.
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Hugs Mel

Thanksgiving-Day.jpg

Last edited:
This may have been already posted but it is the first time I am seeing it.
Shell deal
Oct 1-Oct 31
Terms and Conditions

* Offer valid October 1, 2018 through to October 31, 2018 at participating Shell locations (excluding Shell Flying J locations). Get 100 AIR MILES® Bonus Miles when you complete 3 transactions of a minimum of 40 L or more of any grade of Shell fuel during the promotional period. Maximum 100 Bonus Miles per Collector Number for this offer. This is an exclusive offer and is non-transferable. No coupon required. A valid AIR MILES Card must be swiped/Collector Number entered at time of transaction. This offer may be combined with other Bonus Offers. Shell reserves the right to make changes to this offer and to terminate the offer at any time, for any reason and without notice. Please allow up to 4 weeks post promotion for your Bonus Miles to be posted to your Collector Account.

®™ Trademarks of AM Royalties Limited Partnership used under license by LoyaltyOne, Co. and Shell Canada Products. The Shell logo is a trademark of Shell Brands International AG. Used under license.

*I hope I am reading this right that the 40L is cumulative and not three 40L purchases right?

Hugs Mel

Last edited:
Shell deal
Oct 1-Oct 31
Terms and Conditions

* Offer valid October 1, 2018 through to October 31, 2018 at participating Shell locations (excluding Shell Flying J locations). Get 100 AIR MILES® Bonus Miles when you complete 3 transactions of a minimum of 40 L or more of any grade of Shell fuel during the promotional period. Maximum 100 Bonus Miles per Collector Number for this offer. This is an exclusive offer and is non-transferable. No coupon required. A valid AIR MILES Card must be swiped/Collector Number entered at time of transaction. This offer may be combined with other Bonus Offers. Shell reserves the right to make changes to this offer and to terminate the offer at any time, for any reason and without notice. Please allow up to 4 weeks post promotion for your Bonus Miles to be posted to your Collector Account.

®™ Trademarks of AM Royalties Limited Partnership used under license by LoyaltyOne, Co. and Shell Canada Products. The Shell logo is a trademark of Shell Brands International AG. Used under license.

*I hope I am reading this right that the 40L is cumulative and not three 40L purchases right?

Hugs Mel

It’s almost certainly 3 40L purchases. I can’t imagine it’s cumulative.

As an aside - I bought GC at Sobeys in Peterborough today. The cashier let me buy one then use it to buy the next one. So, 750AM, $150. I’m very happy with that!

It’s almost certainly 3 40L purchases. I can’t imagine it’s cumulative.

As an aside - I bought GC at Sobeys in Peterborough today. The cashier let me buy one then use it to buy the next one. So, 750AM, $150. I’m very happy with that!
Wow..havr not heard of being able to curn cards for sometime. Good job. I havent even tried since the last couple of timed been shut down hard.

Shell deal
Oct 1-Oct 31
Terms and Conditions

Hugs Mel

Dang - pretty sure our car only does 35L.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter