• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Airmiles Armchair Chatter

Hmm, first time for everything,
My Rexall Air Miles didn't post this morning. I guess I'll stop telling people they'll be in their account in the morning.
It's Murphy though... because I was going to make a booking that I need the points top up on.

For a week of no great Airmiles I managed to rack up 450AM. Just a reminder to everyone that the little purchases do add up.

I did 195 at Rexall spent just over $50, Just stocked up on snack bars at Sobey's also picked up some of the St. Hubert soup (160AM). I picked up some cheese at Metro, a couple of Shell fill-ups and there you go 450AM.

Keep plugging away at them even in the slow weeks all AM are good AM when you've got tickets (plane or Disney or Universal) in your sights.

I've been out squeezing in an errand or two and stopped off at a Shell station that is not my usual one. I wanted to buy 5 X$100 Visa cards because I'm buying a BBQ at Lowe's tomorrow. I was told that you can only pay cash for gift cards as per Shell policy. Many times I've bought GC's with my Amex so I know that's not the case. I left without buying anything and on my way home stopped at my usual Shell and got what I wanted no questions asked and paid Amex. I did get a bit of an eye roll for asking for separate receipts though.

Wish I could have found actual Lowes cards.

I've been out squeezing in an errand or two and stopped off at a Shell station that is not my usual one. I wanted to buy 5 X$100 Visa cards because I'm buying a BBQ at Lowe's tomorrow. I was told that you can only pay cash for gift cards as per Shell policy. Many times I've bought GC's with my Amex so I know that's not the case. I left without buying anything and on my way home stopped at my usual Shell and got what I wanted no questions asked and paid Amex. I did get a bit of an eye roll for asking for separate receipts though.

Wish I could have found actual Lowes cards.
Did they not have the loadable cards? Anytime we've bought the pre-paid cards we pick up one that can be loaded with any amount (bit late for you today though!)

Did they not have the loadable cards? Anytime we've bought the pre-paid cards we pick up one that can be loaded with any amount (bit late for you today though!)
I've never bought a Visa GC before so not sure what difference that would make. Enlighten me please.

Forgot to mention that the clerk told me I could only pay with a chip card. Does anyone even have a credit card without a chip now?

I've never bought a Visa GC before so not sure what difference that would make. Enlighten me please.

Forgot to mention that the clerk told me I could only pay with a chip card. Does anyone even have a credit card without a chip now?
Since you would only need to get one card instead of multiple you only need to pay 1 activation fee. When our kids got married we gave them these and i believe (don't quote me on this cause it was 2 years since the last wedding) we chose AMEX because we paid the activation fee up front. We bought them at Shoppers i believe for one set and Metro for the other, one couple got MasterCard and the other the AMEX, both times i told the cashier how much i wanted loaded onto the card.

AS far as the chip, all of ours have them but annoyingly the AMEX is a PIA... most places it won't tap but you can't swipe or insert until you tap and get the message to try another method.

Since you would only need to get one card instead of multiple you only need to pay 1 activation fee. When our kids got married we gave them these and i believe (don't quote me on this cause it was 2 years since the last wedding) we chose AMEX because we paid the activation fee up front. We bought them at Shoppers i believe for one set and Metro for the other, one couple got MasterCard and the other the AMEX, both times i told the cashier how much i wanted loaded onto the card.

AS far as the chip, all of ours have them but annoyingly the AMEX is a PIA... most places it won't tap but you can't swipe or insert until you tap and get the message to try another method.
I see how that would be better but I have a feeling the Shell clerk would not take kindly to me asking for repeated loads of $100. Again, I could be wrong (and often am) but I thought the limit per transaction for the Shell 7X is $100. If they had Lowe's cards I would be paying the activation fee at all. I don't mind spending the fee because I need $800 to get my BBQ. That's a nice chunk of miles. The only Visa/MC cards they had were all the same as what I bought and they are not reloadable.

Agreed on the Amex. Mine often wants to be inserted and then swiped. WOW...that doesn't sound right :rotfl2:

I was "excited today" :eek:....my washer died and :idea: Lowe's has 10x points plus MM 5x points AND appliances are on sale! Add on the points for using my AMEX.... Win, win, win.

Unfortunately, nothing was in stock, and I'd have had to wait 5-8 WEEKS to get my appliances. We walked away with nothing, and bought at a local store (for a better deal all around). Still got my AMEX AM but fewer since the pair was cheaper than what I had been looking at.

I live in Montreal where our Airmiles deals are far from being as nice as the ones in other provinces but tomorrow we are going to Ottawa and I need instructions on what I should do to optimize our day trip in terms of Airmiles. I was planning on filling up at Shell, doing a non-perishable grocery run at Sobey's and going to Rexall. Can someone please help me with what coupons I should print or download? Merci!

If you are curious, in addition to shopping for AM, we are thinking of visiting Canada Agriculture and Food Museum and eating at Panera Bread and Lone Star.

*Shakes fist* ARGH my DH went to RONA and spent like $178 and did not take the stupid coupon! Is there any way to get the AM without returning the items? :( I fear he will have to return them, walk around the store and re-buy them with the coupon... LOL

I live in Montreal where our Airmiles deals are far from being as nice as the ones in other provinces but tomorrow we are going to Ottawa and I need instructions on what I should do to optimize our day trip in terms of Airmiles. I was planning on filling up at Shell, doing a non-perishable grocery run at Sobey's and going to Rexall. Can someone please help me with what coupons I should print or download? Merci!

If you are curious, in addition to shopping for AM, we are thinking of visiting Canada Agriculture and Food Museum and eating at Panera Bread and Lone Star.
Stop in at Shell first and see if there are any gift cards that you can purchase to use on the other purchase you plan to make. Even cards you can use at home. Any instore purchases at Shell earn 7X the miles. Example : $100 Sobeys card earns 75 miles....then use to pay for your groceries

You are only allowed a maximum of 5 transactions per day at Shell. Each transaction is limited to a maximum of $100.

I see how that would be better but I have a feeling the Shell clerk would not take kindly to me asking for repeated loads of $100. Again, I could be wrong (and often am) but I thought the limit per transaction for the Shell 7X is $100. If they had Lowe's cards I would be paying the activation fee at all. I don't mind spending the fee because I need $800 to get my BBQ. That's a nice chunk of miles. The only Visa/MC cards they had were all the same as what I bought and they are not reloadable.

Agreed on the Amex. Mine often wants to be inserted and then swiped. WOW...that doesn't sound right :rotfl2:
One of the reasons i love this thread is how much we are able to share with each other, I had no idea about the transaction limit at Shell because we have only ever gone ONCE --- yup, to use the MM coupon. There is only one location in our city and it's awkwardly situated at an intersection. The MasterCard/Amex cards i was referring to come *empty* and you tell them how much you want on it, they aren't reloadable after that.

I was "excited today" :eek:....my washer died and :idea: Lowe's has 10x points plus MM 5x points AND appliances are on sale! Add on the points for using my AMEX.... Win, win, win.

Unfortunately, nothing was in stock, and I'd have had to wait 5-8 WEEKS to get my appliances. We walked away with nothing, and bought at a local store (for a better deal all around). Still got my AMEX AM but fewer since the pair was cheaper than what I had been looking at.
Oh that sounds like me last night when hubby called to say he would be late due to a flat tire .... hung up the phone and quickly checked where we can get AM and if there was a coupon. Sent him out this afternoon armed with the correct paperwork and a shouted reminder to use the MasterCard ... turned out to be a stupid nail puncture that cost a measly $38.00 to get repaired :rotfl2: Oh well, we have the required number of charges but are still sitting $400.00 short of our targeted offer, don't think that's happening.

*Shakes fist* ARGH my DH went to RONA and spent like $178 and did not take the stupid coupon! Is there any way to get the AM without returning the items? :( I fear he will have to return them, walk around the store and re-buy them with the coupon... LOL
Sadly no, you can't get the AM added after the fact without some "un-shopping" Depending on how bold you are you could simply plunk the stuff down, return it and then pay for it again. (that would be a transaction my hubby would hide in the car for!)

There are no coupons that work at Rexall on the weekend, but make sure you have a copy of the coupon from the Mega Miles promotion, you should check the page for Ontario and see if any of the other offers would work, maybe the LCBO?
Mega Miles coupons, choose Ontario
Rexall's big bonus this weekend is valid on Sunday only, However, there is no reason you can't do multiple sales that total $25.00 so you can use the MM coupon several times. Just watch the cash to see when your pre-tax sale is over $25.00 and stop, pay for it and then start another one. There are lots of their own brands items that have bonus miles this week, some of the snack items are quite good! Wander the aisles and see what you might like to try!

Have a great visit and
Bonne chance à la chasse

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter