advice on taking a young baby in Aug.

kenpge72

Earning My Ears
Hello, I hope there is someone out there that has taken a young baby into the parks that could help. We arringed our trip a while back for the week of Aug. 4, 2003 and were surprized to find out we will be expectiing our 5th. Our other childern will be 6, 5, 2 and 1. We are going under the plat.(grand) plan so we will have child care in the evenings. We will also be using some in room care for the new baby during the day, but we do plan to take the new baby into the parks for a few hours during the day to keep costs down. The new baby will be around 10-12 weeks old. It is very hot in Aug. and I know people who live in hot areas have babies out, but I am not used to it being from the midwest. I need some advice about keeping baby cool and having baby in heat. We will only have baby outside for around 4hrs. other advice for young childern in disney is greatly accepted.
:confused:

Congratulations on baby#5:D

I don't know how many (if any) trips you have ever taken to WDW, but you mentioned that you will have child care and will only be bringing the baby into the outdoors for about 4hrs a day.

All 4 of the major parks have babycare centers -- they are wonderful! They have CLEAN cushy changing tables,special rooms for nursing mother's,high chairs for feeding older babies and a kitchen w/microwave to make and or wash up bottles & baby food. All free of charge:D . They also sell various baby items (formula,food,diapers,etc.) in case you find you have run out or forgotten anything you may need while in the park.

As for just when you are outdoors, I would just make sure that you dress the baby appropriatly for the weather(hat,cool clothing) and make sure they are cool enough and hydrated and use suncreen for babies if possible. Many of the rides are tame enough to bring the baby on so they may not be sitting in the heat as much but on the flip side, remember to bring sweaters or blankets as when indoors it can be cold from the air conditioning.

Other than that, have a wonderful trip! Sounds like you have pretty much everything covered.

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

You will definitely be going at a child's pace so just plan plenty of rest breaks, use the baby care rooms for feeding/changing/cooling off. The baby will probably be the EASY one to care for at the parks! He/she will spend a lot of time sleeping in the stroller.

Consider a sling or baby carrier when taking the baby on rides. This will leave your hands free to help with the other little ones. The baby can go on any ride that doesn't have a height requirement.

Good luck and have fun!

Peggy

I took my fifth little one to WDW when he was 3 months old. (Exactly 5 years ago.) With so many little ones you should absolutely plan on a long rest period each day. ( Preferably during the worst heat of the day.) I would have your family up, dressed and breakfasted at the earliest possible minute and use early entry perks if you're staying on site so that you can be at the park at the earliest (coolest) park of the day. With all those little ones you'll all be ready to sit down for lunch at 10:45 or 11:00am and heading for your hotel room by 11:30-11:45am ( I hope you're at the Poly ;)!)Rest, cool down, swim (that might be the time to use your baby sitter) and maybe even have dinner with the older children at the resort. By the time you're ready to head back to the parks the peak heat should almost be over. The slings are nice for a few minutes at WDW but I enjoyed mine more in the cold weather because then it would keep baby and me warm. During August's already oppressive heat that sling is going to make mom and baby drippy (sweaty) and uncomfortable (very possibly leading to a terrible heat rash for the baby)!Take it slow (except for getting going on the morning) and you will have a great time!

Thanks to everyone for the advice.
No Poly this time (couldn't talk DH into it) we are staying @ the VWL.

My DD was 12 weeks when we went last August. We took her on several rides, and she spent a lot of time snoozing in the stroller. I bought mister bottles at Wal-mart and planted one at her feet in the stroller. I kept the fan on all the time and "misted" her a few times when she seemed to be getting a little hot. I made sure to offer her either the bottle (which she hated) or the breast every time she woke up to make sure she wasn't getting dehydrated. We were headed home from the parks everyday by 1:00 for naptime for DS, so she was not outside during the really oppressive part of the afternoon.

Congrats on #5!!

We are having 5 also! I am due in July! We have brought all4 to the parks as babys..... Make sure if your B-feeding that you have clothes that cover you but let baby get air! It is no fun to be in 100 degree heat drinking hot milk with a blanket over your head!!! I used rides alot and that worked great! Cool air ,quiet baby and I could enteract with the kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter