Advice for lost boys

I would make sure they know about the night spectaculars, like HEA, Illuminations, SW at DHS and ROL at AK. It doesn't take *any* advance planning to view them and if they don't know anything about WDW, they may go back to their hotel and miss them.

Just IMO, but that's horrible advice and a shame to "talk them out of it". A one day trip planned a week in advance during spring break may ruin the parks for you, but doesn't mean it would ruin it for others. You could tell me on Dec 24th that you're giving me a ticket for Dec 25th and I'll be there with bells and whistles on and have a fabulous time. So many here love to plan in depth months in advance and that's great. However, it is far from a necessity in order to have a good time. For me, such as me, doing that would actually ruin the trip. If you told me I had to plan months out, have a spreadsheet, etc...I would refuse to go.

Not meaning to sound irritated, so forgive me if it comes across that way.

Why is that horrible advice? Not everyone views Disney the same. And sadly, some have NO idea what's truly involved on Disney vacations. I've heard the stories of buying tickets at the gate and going for it. And in those same stories I've heard we had a blast...but more of....we stood in lines all day and really only rode 3 rides for over $500. You'll be there with bells and whistles because you've got Disney down to a science...so it's easy for you, and your family. If you're telling me you'd go on Dec 25th being a first timer....well okay then. Have fun with that. I only look at spreadsheets on my job, I am NOT doing one for Disney. Do I plan out my meals? You're darn right I do. I'm not bringing stuff from home, I'm on vacation, we don't get to eat out because of our kosher diet, so eating out in Disney is our treat for 4 or 5 days. Do I plan out my park days...again...yes I do. My son needs a plan, just like I do. Neither one of us really care to fly by the seat of our pants. Do I plan out every single detail while in the parks...absolutely not. I plan my 3 FPs and work everything else around that. I plan character greets and work around that too. The planning is FUN for me. My son and I have a had a good time watching videos and deciding if such and such ride is for us. I started "planning" this trip summer of 2018. But I didn't really get moving with things till December of 2018. Once I booked our room in January, then I moved into full swing. And there hasn't been one day in my planning where I've gone....this is too much work, why am I doing this? In the time I've been to Disney and it amazes me that going every 4 years I'll encounter one family that has NO clue about FP and wants to know how we afford it. In 2011, I passed off my DH's, my DS's and my paper FPs for a ride to a couple and their child because we had already ridden the ride standby and our DS was getting tired. They looked at us with big eyes and said "You're giving us this? Didn't it cost you money?" I shook my head and said not one penny and then took the time to explain how simple it was to slide their tickets in and watch the paper FP spit out a ride time....IF one was available. 2015, talked to a family in line behind us at a character greet who said they hated standing in so many standby lines and wish they knew how that fastpass thing worked. You, nor you family is the average. You do things that make me go...are you kidding? On vacation? But that's what your family chooses to do and for you, that's all good. If I speak up and save friends or colleagues time and money on a trip they may regret, then I've done my job.

With respect, this is because you know how Disney works. You know the lay out. You know how FP works (and how to refresh). You know about RD and riding at the end of the night. You know which restaurants need ADRs (and, if I recall, this doesn't apply to you because you bring all your own food). You have a realistic understanding of which rides will have crazy lines if you can't get FP. But if a newbie just plans to walk up to the castle and have lunch with Cinderella, that's going to be a problem, if that person's children have been looking forward to that. If a newbie shows up expecting to ride 7DMT and the mountains before lunch, and doesn't know about the FP system and the length of standby lines, that person is going to be disappointed. Many of us could show up tomorrow and still have a good time, but that's not the case for many newbies.

Story time. I was waiting in standby at HM last fall before my 7DMT FP window, and noticed a large family group (like 10 people) behind me. We started chatting and found out it was the 11-year-old's birthday and they all decided to go to WDW and bought tickets at the gate. I asked what FP they had planned, and the mom said none. I asked why, and she indignantly replied, "because they're too expensive!" I was like, "they're FREE!" So I spent the rest of the time in line on her phone setting up an MDE account and linking the tickets for all of them (except for a college age son and family friend who had their own MDE accounts and would need to link themselves). Anyway, I hope they were able to set up at least a few FP for the day, as we got to the ride entrance before I could do that. But I explained how it worked. So this big party of 10 was going to wait all day in standby lines simply because they didn't know the basics of FP. Would they have enjoyed themselves? Probably, but not as much as with FP. And if they'd gone at Christmas or Thanksgiving, forget it - standby all day would be a nightmare.

THIS!!! 1000 times!!! You said it in less words than me and VERY effectively!

You can read above how my husband, son, and I have encountered a family every trip that doesn't understand FP and I've chosen to break it down for them. I was watching FP videos on YouTube and this one girl was saying she only rode 3 rides everyday because the lines were too long and FP only allowed the 3 rides. I was like....wait, what??? She said her trip was far from what she imagined it to be.

Just IMO, but that's horrible advice and a shame to "talk them out of it". A one day trip planned a week in advance during spring break may ruin the parks for you, but doesn't mean it would ruin it for others. You could tell me on Dec 24th that you're giving me a ticket for Dec 25th and I'll be there with bells and whistles on and have a fabulous time. So many here love to plan in depth months in advance and that's great. However, it is far from a necessity in order to have a good time. For me, such as me, doing that would actually ruin the trip. If you told me I had to plan months out, have a spreadsheet, etc...I would refuse to go.

This sort of reads weirdly, you don't know anything about these people and you're conflating them with yourself. Talking you out of it doesn't make sense, but for the posters co-worker / friend, it probably did make sense. In another post you suggested they don't know the person that well to talk them out of it, but I am pretty sure they know this person better than you do.

For people that don't know Disney, and are going in blind, that would be awful, just awful. The magic of just being there doesn't work for most people, not at that cost, not with those crowds, especially if it's a shock.

Matt

At this late date, I would stick to things like drink lots of water, expect your feet to hurt and any things you have found to work to deal with the heat. I think for many they are unprepared for the heat and humidity this time of year, and it can kill any other fun.

Yes, I'm a WDW veteran now. But just like anyone else, I was a "newbie" once too. Even then our style was the same. We have no interest in detailed advanced planning or set schedules. Not now, not the first time we visited. Our first visit to the parks (for me it was my first visit as an adult and DWs first visit ever) we walked into MK with no prior research, grabbed a park map and started working our way around. FP+ didn't exist then, though if I recall right the paper system did. Regardless, it was still a crowded place and we managed to love it enough to come back over and over and over.

I've worked with people for years and don't presume to know all of their personal vacation styles. Everyone at my office knows I'm a WDW nut so I get asked fairly often. I'd never try to "talk someone out" of going, regardless of what their personality seems like. If I try to, they may decide not to go on a trip they might have loved, or they may walk in with a negative attitude...which can have a huge impact. Sure, it's possible they'll have a miserable time and never go back. That can happen to a newbie who does 50 hours of research. I simply don't feel it's my place, or the right thing to do, to talk someone out of taking a trip to WDW simply because they haven't planned. If it were me, and it often is, I answer any questions they have, explain any details they're interested in hearing and let them decide for themselves. Each to their own.

ETA: I think you can apply this to nearly any vacation destination. I had someone last week tell me they were going to Las Vegas for a wedding anniversary celebration. They don't drink or gamble. I didn't try to talk them out of it. We don't drink or gamble either and think it's a fabulous place to visit.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm a WDW veteran now. But just like anyone else, I was a "newbie" once too. Even then our style was the same. We have no interest in detailed advanced planning or set schedules. Not now, not the first time we visited. Our first visit to the parks (for me it was my first visit as an adult and DWs first visit ever) we walked into MK with no prior research, grabbed a park map and started working our way around. FP+ didn't exist then, though if I recall right the paper system did. Regardless, it was still a crowded place and we managed to love it enough to come back over and over and over.

I've worked with people for years and don't presume to know all of their personal vacation styles. Everyone at my office knows I'm a WDW nut so I get asked fairly often. I'd never try to "talk someone out" of going, regardless of what their personality seems like. If I try to, they may decide not to go on a trip they might have loved, or they may walk in with a negative attitude...which can have a huge impact. Sure, it's possible they'll have a miserable time and never go back. That can happen to a newbie who does 50 hours of research. I simply don't feel it's my place, or the right thing to do, to talk someone out of taking a trip to WDW simply because they haven't planned. If it were me, and it often is, I answer any questions they have, explain any details they're interested in hearing and let them decide for themselves. Each to their own.

ETA: I think you can apply this to nearly any vacation destination. I had someone last week tell me they were going to Las Vegas for a wedding anniversary celebration. They don't drink or gamble. I didn't try to talk them out of it. We don't drink or gamble either and think it's a fabulous place to visit.
Echoing this, I have a client whose husband is a busy attorney in Washington DC. They have 2 small children. She left the planning entirely to a vacation planner, and showed me the results. For myself, I would have been disappointed in most of the choices, because I know there are better fps or some that they had you just don't need a fp for, but she had some key ones as well. I gave her a few tips and she seemed satisfied with their plans. I figured there would be a lot of disappointment. They had a great time, the kids were very excited, took breaks to their resort every day, didn't do a lot of things but for them, it was enough. The only complaint she had was the transportation. They stayed at AKL, and she said the buses were often 45 minutes arriving. After day 2, they called an Uber. Living in DC, they Uber everywhere anyway.

This sort of reads weirdly, you don't know anything about these people and you're conflating them with yourself. Talking you out of it doesn't make sense, but for the posters co-worker / friend, it probably did make sense. In another post you suggested they don't know the person that well to talk them out of it, but I am pretty sure they know this person better than you do.

For people that don't know Disney, and are going in blind, that would be awful, just awful. The magic of just being there doesn't work for most people, not at that cost, not with those crowds, especially if it's a shock.

Matt

People are getting on her case here, but @Klayfish has good intentions. The best thing I think you can do is give someone advice and recommendations, and let them decide. It's also a large assumption to say someone going in blind would have an awful time. People do that every single day and have a good time.

I had a co-worker (I don't know well) ask me about taking his daughter to Disney the week before Easter. It was a tuesday and they were leaving on Friday. :)

He hadn't even booked a resort yet. I said - it's going to be crowded, you will have long lines, keep your patience and just enjoy the moment.

They chose one day at Epcot and two days at Universal. He walked away loving Epcot so much (said he was blown away by the service they received) that they are booking a week at WDW and he's reading all about it, bought some guidebooks.

If people are meant to love it, they will...

We are big WDW planners for our family trips, but I've twice chaperoned high school trips where we don't get tickets until the morning of and then arrive a good hour or more after the park opens. On top of that, for this last trip, we weren't made aware of our final plans (which park, which day) until 10 days before we left. So, no advance fast passes, and minimal dining reservations. I didn't feel the need to try to corral kids into a touring plan - it's like herding ADHD cats, and just went with the flow. I made a conscious decision to not bemoan the late arrivals, etc.

We still had a great time. Most of the kids I chaperoned had never been. They didn't know any different and had a great time.

I had a co-worker (I don't know well) ask me about taking his daughter to Disney the week before Easter. It was a tuesday and they were leaving on Friday. :)

He hadn't even booked a resort yet. I said - it's going to be crowded, you will have long lines, keep your patience and just enjoy the moment.

They chose one day at Epcot and two days at Universal. He walked away loving Epcot so much (said he was blown away by the service they received) that they are booking a week at WDW and he's reading all about it, bought some guidebooks.

If people are meant to love it, they will...
^^THIS^^

How would you best help someone who's staying off site and has done zero planning or research?
Okay, I may sound like a horrible person, but -- under those circumstances -- I wouldn't offer much help at all. Why?

This person has had this vacation planned for a while and hasn't bothered to ask you until the last minute. He or she hasn't bothered to do any online searching (this website is super easy to find). If your friend was serious about wanting help, he or she wouldn't have waited this long. It's a big red flag was expecting a few tips about good restaurants or parking spots and wouldn't have listened to your hints at all.

I'd ask the friend, "Gee, I know so much. What would you like to know?" Answer those specific questions and move on.

People are getting on her case here, but @Klayfish has good intentions. The best thing I think you can do is give someone advice and recommendations, and let them decide. It's also a large assumption to say someone going in blind would have an awful time. People do that every single day and have a good time.

At least in my case, I just think it's maybe in poor taste to make presumptions about how well the poster knew their colleague and then act as if your experience is universal.

Matt

I totally agree. It's a vacation, and it doesn't have to be planned down to the second for a family to have fun.
There are lots of ways to enjoy a Disney vacation.

At least in my case, I just think it's maybe in poor taste to make presumptions about how well the poster knew their colleague and then act as if your experience is universal.

Matt

It’s not in poor taste. It’s an opinion, like every other one here. For the record, I agree. Telling someone to cancel their vacation is absolutely absurd and completely rude. If someone asks, give them as much advice as they want, then back off and let them live their life.

I’ve never, literally never, made an ADR in my life. I don’t have color coded spreadsheets. I still manage to have fun. Sometimes people do things differently, and sometimes ignorance is bliss. If I tried to tell any of my traveling partners about the level of planning a large portion of this board does, they would never agree to go.

Last edited:

Matt

No presumptions are made, in fact my point was to not make a presumption that you do know a colleague. Maybe you do, but it's also possible you don't...even if you think you do.

No experience is universal, and again that was my point. I was giving a counterpoint to the discussion...i.e. no experience is universal.

I wouldn't go into much detail at that point. I'd tell them there was a lot they could've done, but at this point its a little too close. I'd explain FP, and tell them to try to make some for a few rides. I'd also tell them to get to the parks at open or stay to close (or both) to be ables to ride with lower waits. Other than that, especially at a week out, I wouldn't go into much. Just tell them to be patient and have fun.

OP- I think someone like that doesn’t even realize what he doesn’t know. Lots of people don’t realize what they don’t know and have ideas that it will be like going to Six Flags or Dollywood. Lots of people don’t know to ask questions or even what questions to ask because they don’t know the reality of what wdw is really like. I agree to give just the basic mde info, how to get more fp after the first three, and maybe a list of which fp are most valuable to get. And tell them rd vs end of night riding and let them pick which works best for their family. Can’t do much more than that.... it would be overwhelming.
Just the bare basics.
And if they’ve never been before, all the rides and shows will be new and exciting to them.

And if they’ve never been before, all the rides and shows will be new and exciting to them.
This is very true! Sure 7DMT is the "hot" FP to get at MK, but is the ride itself actually that much better than BTMRR? Many people prefer the mountains to 7DMT, and when we first went to MK, there was no Mine Train, and we didn't feel the lack.

I think for many of us, some Disney planning frustration comes with KNOWING what is available, and feeling let down if we can't score certain rides. But if someone is going for the first time, everything in the park has the potential to delight. Of course lines are a bummer for anyone, so it's important that newbies know about FP, but I think it's enough to just have FP, even if they don't have the hard-to-get FP.

Other than that, I think the best that can be done is to try to manage expectations - it will be crowded, lines will be long, prices will be high, sit-down restaurants require advance reservations that might be out of reach at this point.

I don't try to get too in-depth, because people will definitely zone out / won't absorb everything at once even if they want to hear it.

1) I tell them that they should pick their 3 most important rides for each day/park, then 2-3 more as "would like to ride, but not crucial", and then anything else they get to do spur of the moment will be a bonus.
2) I tell them to download the app and explain that they can get 3 FastPasses *for free* (because a LOT of people seem to think you have to pay extra for them).
3) I tell them that *I* always go at rope drop, but I know that's just not realistic for a lot of people/families who don't do mornings well, so it's their choice if they want to get that benefit.
4) I tell them that there *are* sit-down restaurants, and that they can be reserved waaay in advance, but that I don't really have any tips on them, because I always just do the counter service restaurants to save time. (I'm local and have visited multiple times a month for 4 years, but I think I've still only eaten at... 4 ADR restaurants? It's just never been a priority for me - especially since I'm almost always solo and I have a pretty boring palate anyway.) I also don't have any advice for people about resorts, since I just come from my home.

That's about as far as I'll ever go when I'm asked, if it's clear that they're starting from scratch. If they can set their bar a little low for the number of rides and understand the crowd levels ahead of time, they will probably be pleasantly surprised by what they can fit in. But if they think they can just show up and do everything and then get scared off by wait times, nothing else will matter, so that's where I try to put my focus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter