Advice for first timers needed.

Donegal_Guy

Donegal's Maddest Mickey Family - OFFICIAL
Hi all,

We are old hands now of DLRP and are planning our first Orlando Trip and need as much help as possible. We are a family of 5 DH,DW DD 10, DS 10 and DS 4 and I don't fancy having to drive in the states.
Does no driving mean we have to stay near Int Drive? If So any recommendations on a 2 Bed Villa/Suite ? We are hoping to go at the end of April 2011...

I'm sure there will be loads of other questions but this is a good starting point.

Many thanks in advance for any replies..
DG:cool2:

I'm sure someone will be able to reply specifically in relation to I drive but we have been to WDW four times now and never driven. We always stay at WDW because we basically want to spend all our time at Disney. Beginning to think that we may book Universal for 2012 and have a week doing that in the main.

Sorry meant to add that we have never experienced problems getting around and it's nice not to worry if you want a drink at lunchtime.

We have never driven in Orlando but we usually stay at WDW and Universal. At WDW we use the disney transportation system

http://www.wdwinfo.com/Transportation/index.htm

and other times we use cabs or mears shuttle.

http://www.mearstransportation.com/AttractionTrans.htm

Busch Gardens operate a coach service from Universal and several other pick up points, which is is either free or $10 return depending upon what park tickets you have.

https://secure.mearstransportation.com/MearsExpress/BuschGardens.asp

If staying on International drive there is the Iride

http://www.iridetrolley.com/

We didn't drive in Orlando, and won't be driving on our next trip either. :)

I'd definitely recommend you stay on Disney property, as this was you get free transfers from the airport and free transport to all Disney theme parks.

If you do want to see Universal you maybe have a couple of nights at their hotel, you would then be able to get to Seaworld a lot easier. :)

I don't think there is a way to have a villa and not rent a car unless you're happy to spend $100s, maybe more on taxis.

i dont think you can really do a villa without a car as things are not in walking distance

we always stay on disney but we always have a car as its really easy to drive out there

disney do the buses to each of thier parks and many hotels along international drive and lake buena vista do shuttles to all the parks except for busch gardens

We are also a family of 5 that don't drive. We stay on disney property and rely on disney transport, for going to sea world or shopping we take a taxi. We have never had a problem getting around but do concentrate mainly on disney parks.

We never hire a car, stay on disney property and use their transport system and use mears shuttles for trips to Universal & Sea World Etc or you could stay on I-Drive and use the I-Ride Trolley which runs the length of international drive for Sea World, Universal etc and use Mears Shuttles for Disney. It really depends on what parks you plan on spending the most time in where you would be better basing yourself.

My advise would be write down what exactly you want to do, plan your accomodation around that. If going for 2 weeks maybe split stay, a week in Disney and a week offsite.
Some people can stay in Disney and not leave for 2 weeks, manage quite well with Disney transport. Some can stay on Idrive or around LBV(my choice) and use public transport to get to the parks but Orlando & Florida has way more to offer, for this a car is needed.

Every family is different, many enjoy Florida without a car but its somewhere we wouldn't consider without a car, just one bus journey from Old Key West to Fort Wilderness last August reminded us how much we disliked being on a bus. 1 hour, 2 buses and an arrogant driver, incl almost 20 mins stood at a bus stop in the Aug heat to do a 5 min car journey.

Cypress Point Resort at LBV do 2 & 3 bed apt's and is very popular but I have no idea if they provide any transport to the parks.

Keep asking the questions:goodvibes

thanks for all the replies so far - much appreciated.

Just wondered if anyone could recommend a Disney Accomodation suitable for 2 adults and 3 Kids. We'd ideally like a villa or suite type room.

Thanks again

DG

thanks for all the replies so far - much appreciated.

Just wondered if anyone could recommend a Disney Accomodation suitable for 2 adults and 3 Kids. We'd ideally like a villa or suite type room.

Thanks again

DVC will sleep 5 such as Old Key West and Saratoga which have deals on at the moment. For standrd disney hotels I thought POR might have some rooms which sleep 5 but it doesn't appear to be listed

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/benefits/groups/

I've been looking at Disney property for 5 people too. I think quite a lot will accommodate 5 if one of the party is under 8 years old as they provide a trundle bed. I have decided that it's not for us though, as the idea of all of us in one room for 14 days would be hard work. Each to their own though.:)

I intend to go for OKW if the 42% off offer is on when we want to go. If not, I have looked into Wayne's recommendation of Cypress Pointe, and that would be out offsite choice.

A couple of further suggestions for ease of getting around via Public Transport:

(1) It may be worth checking out the Downtown Disney hotels - the Doubletree has suites and all the hotels all offer a frequent bus service to the Disney Parks (every 30 minutes). In addition, you can catch Lynx bus 50 to Seaworld (change for I-Ride Trolley to Universal) and the 111 to Florida Mall from Hotel Plaza Boulevard. Plus you could walk to both Downtown Disney and Crossroads (for restaurants/shopping).

(2) Check if anything available near to Seaworld. Again, this would enable you catch Lynx bus 50 to Downtown Disney or the Transportation and Ticketing Centre from Seaworld, plus the I-Ride Trolley to Universal and other restaurants along I-Drive, and Premium Outlets.

HTH.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!